Likes Likes:  19
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Ashes

Perth Bambi, Perth Shrimper & Prawn, would know better than me, I think the stadium iitself is on schedule and about 98% complete, but the stadium's train station and especially the big footbridge is behind schedule (by about a year?). So, as they currently have no infrastructure in place for large crowds, the WACA was the safe bet.

They officially open on January 21st (for the local population to have a nosey around), however there is a very small possibility that England may play an ODI there on the 28th.

Personally I'd replace Stokes with Plunkett and move those above up one spot, no big deal.
    They'll probably go with Overton as a quicker bowler who bats a bit.
    I'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks there has been an over-reaction.
    And my god I envy those who will be in Perth. Last test at the WACA is something I wish I wasn't missing

Apparently Paul Collingwood has a better batting average this season than James Vince - seriously?!?
    Be delighted, be excited, watch Southend United

Quote Originally Posted by mattitouk View Post
    Perth Bambi, Perth Shrimper & Prawn, would know better than me, I think the stadium iitself is on schedule and about 98% complete, but the stadium's train station and especially the big footbridge is behind schedule (by about a year?). So, as they currently have no infrastructure in place for large crowds, the WACA was the safe bet.

They officially open on January 21st (for the local population to have a nosey around), however there is a very small possibility that England may play an ODI there on the 28th.
    Actually I believe they are ahead of schedule so it was only ever hopeful that it might end up being there rather than expected. The stadium will mainly be used for AFL so it was just aiming to be ready before the next AFL season (which has just finished) Early reports are the stadium looks impressive, apparently going to have the biggest screens in the Southern Hemisphere. The footbridge is a problem and will be very delayed (probably not ready until next April/May now I believe) but the stadium will be able to be used (at a reduced capacity at various times) before the bridge is done.
    I have a big

Cheers PB, I knew a local would be more updated than me. My brother lives there, but haven't spoken to him in a while.

I heard they will be hosting a "State of Origin" game there next year? I would sell a kidney for a decent ticket for that. ......For those that haven't ever watched it,... it's generally a cross between Rugby and UFC!!

To give you a taster...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hqREX3L11s

I think the origin game is going to be in 2019 but yes will be pretty epic and I suspect tickets will cost a fortune. They are officially opening the stadium next year with two NRL games (which hasn't gone down well over here as WA no longer has an NRL team)
    I have a big

Quote Originally Posted by Perth Bambi View Post
    Actually I believe they are ahead of schedule so it was only ever hopeful that it might end up being there rather than expected. The stadium will mainly be used for AFL so it was just aiming to be ready before the next AFL season (which has just finished) Early reports are the stadium looks impressive, apparently going to have the biggest screens in the Southern Hemisphere. The footbridge is a problem and will be very delayed (probably not ready until next April/May now I believe) but the stadium will be able to be used (at a reduced capacity at various times) before the bridge is done.
    I'm assuming it will be the West Coast Eagles ground then or is it being shared with the Dockers as well?
    Ricky Otto's No.1 Fan

Looks like Stokes will be rewarded with a central contract after his fight!

Think it's sad to see the WACA go. The one last place standing from the traditional Aussie test venues. They've done a decent re-furb at Adelaide, but the other three main grounds are horrid looking soulless venues nowadays.

Will miss the huge old scoreboard at the ground. Real iconic landmark at the WACA.

That said, there's never been enough shade from the sun there, which is it's only downfall.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Otto View Post
    I'm assuming it will be the West Coast Eagles ground then or is it being shared with the Dockers as well?
    Will be shared. Although currently there is no deal actually signed so the way it stands there will be no one playing there as the WA football commission don't want to pay as much as stadium operators want. But yes it will be a shared ground. Suspect the Sheffield Shield Cricket games will still be at the WACA but international games and probably BBL games will be at the new stadium.
    I have a big

Good to hear the WACA is staying on and not being demolished.

a wee quiz for those interested in such things. Name all of England's 13/14 Ashes squad:
    http://www.thecricketer.com/default....&topicid=43265

the bar is 100% with 1:32 left

72%.

Missed five, including two I should easily have got.

One I don't think I'd have got if I had an hour!

This cook is an anti-semite Uncle Leo's Avatar

Good quiz. Got 16/18 there, missing
      Spoiler: {option} 
    Gary ****ing Ballance and Scott Borthwick

Director

disgraceful effort - too ashamed to reveal