Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Ashes

Default 2017 Ashes

Now that the cricketing summer for Test's has been put to bed for another year it seems about the right time (although 3 CC matches still to play) to ponder who should be on the plane Down Under at the end of 2017. It will be quite interesting to find out who would get into people's squads (I believe the usual squad size is about 16) and who is left out.
    Be delighted, be excited, watch Southend United

My gut feeling is that they will go with :-

Batsmen

Cook
    Stoneman
    Hameed
    Root
    Malan
    Hales
    Westley

Wicketkeepers

Bairstow
    Buttler

All-Rounders

Stokes
    Ali
    Woakes

Bowlers

Broad
    Anderson
    Roland-Jones
    Crane

Cook
    Stoneman
    Root
    Jennings
    Hales
    Malan
    Buttler
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Wood
    Broad
    Anderson
    Stokes
    TRJ
    Crane
    Woakes

A bit bowler heavy but I can see the extra bowler being needed and with Stokes, Woakes and Ali's batting being as good as it is I think we can get away with it. In Aus I'd like to see Hales at 5 as can be a match winner on his day and probably best of the current batch we have at our disposal!
    Follow me on Twitter : @SZKev

I have TWO now (im blessed!)

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    Cook
    Stoneman
    Root
    Jennings
    Hales
    Malan
    Buttler
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Wood
    Broad
    Anderson
    Stokes
    TRJ
    Crane
    Woakes

A bit bowler heavy but I can see the extra bowler being needed and with Stokes, Woakes and Ali's batting being as good as it is I think we can get away with it. In Aus I'd like to see Hales at 5 as can be a match winner on his day and probably best of the current batch we have at our disposal!
    I'd put Ranger at 9 :o)
    That Curly Bob is a jolly good chap!

Do you think Gary Ballance could get a recall? personally I doubt it, but he's been batting well for Yorkshire this season.

Cook
    Stoneman
    Hameed
    Root
    Malan
    Hales

Bairstow
    Foakes

Stokes
    Ali
    Woakes

Anderson
    Broad
    TRJ
    Wood (with own physio and cotton wool)
    Crane

This cook is an anti-semite Uncle Leo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattitouk View Post
    Do you think Gary Ballance could get a recall? personally I doubt it, but he's been batting well for Yorkshire this season.
    And he's very good mates with Root. I don't want to see him recalled, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Leo View Post
    And he's very good mates with Root. I don't want to see him recalled, but I wouldn't be surprised.
    Bloody hell I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Leo View Post
    Me too.

But I have this feeling he might get a ticket on the plane to Australia. (#water boy?)

If rumours are true, Root busted hell and high water to get him into the test V SA. And to be fair, he did kinda ok, until he broke he's finger.

Not sure what the next 3 county matches will bring him, but according to the bbc he has averaged 92 runs this season (over the last 7 games games he's been involved in).
    Much better than Westley, and defo on par with Stoneman, to be fair, not all too shabby for a colour blind international batsman!

Quote Originally Posted by lordlumpington View Post
    Cook
    Stoneman
    Hameed
    Root
    Malan
    Hales

Bairstow
    Foakes

Stokes
    Ali
    Woakes

Anderson
    Broad
    TRJ
    Wood (with own physio and cotton wool)
    Crane
    This is pretty much exactly what I would pick.
    I have a big

This cook is an anti-semite Uncle Leo's Avatar

Toby Roland Jones a big doubt now - lower back stress fracture. Shame, I had liked what I had seen so far.

Jamie Porter an obvious replacement then

Leaked England squad includes Balance and Vince...

To be honest, I think we all would have been surprised if Westley wasn't dropped from the initial squad, he's hardly set the world a light since returning from national duty back to Essex (28 / 6 /36 / 13). Averaging just 27 runs across our last 3 matches.

Those figures are at just a county level, so hardly scream "Ashes material" for an England upper order batsman. Problem is, we don't have another stand out batsman that is much better. Who ever we end up with, I think it will be case of "more luck than judgement".

In other news, we obviously know all about Stokes nightclub antics, but I understand Hales was also involved, anyone know to what extent?..if both missed out, we would really be up the proverbial creek. Also the BBC Essex commentators think that Porter would most likely figure (in some way?) for the New Zealand tour in February after the ashes. Which would possibly mean we would miss him for opening 1 or 2 games of next season.

Slightly off topic from England, but I see the Lancs have been busy today, snatching up Jennings, & Onions for next season, as well as Flintoff on the board.
    Last edited by mattitouk; 27-09-2017 at 05:15 AM.