• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 Ashes

OK, about even now I would say.

About time Broad stepped up in this series.

I would say Australia are well in charge now. But I'd love to wake up tomorrow to hear of Broad rattling through their batting order!

I completely agree. The only way we can get back into this is if we get Smith and everyone else out quickly tomorrow. If not, I can see them getting 600+ and Smith will just bat and bat forever. He is a fantastic player unfortunately for us. We definitely need Broad to fire. On his day he can be unbeatable but it hasn't happened for a long time it feels. Tomorrow could be the day. Should Australia get 600+ I can see a typical English collapse like a 130 all out. I am not necessarily being negative, but I have seen it so many times in the past. Good to see Overton in the wickets again. Moeen Ali concerns me too at the moment.

Hoping that we come back stronger tomorrow, everyone will need to be at their best and we need to get them out for below our first innings score. Ali needs to get involved and hold down and end especially if Overton will be playing a limited part, any news on him?

Sums up England, in general.

Maybe it's the amount of Test Cricket we seem to play, compared to other countries, but we never seem to be on it consistently throughout a match.

We have a lot of bad sessions, with the ball or the bat, which lead to bad days, like today.

All the hard graft of day one is thrown away with lazy thinking.

Sums up England, in general.

Maybe it's the amount of Test Cricket we seem to play, compared to other countries, but we never seem to be on it consistently throughout a match.

We have a lot of bad sessions, with the ball or the bat, which lead to bad days, like today.

All the hard graft of day one is thrown away with lazy thinking.

agree, in all three tests we have had some positive sessions but the negatives then follow and are always worse. At home we can get away with it but away from home in hard conditions you need to be on top off your game for all 5 days

Yep, spot on.

I remember an interview with Moeen Ali last winter in India, I think it was, where he admitted he switches off at times in the field.

Very odd, coming from an England Test Player.

His a player that currently needs to be on top of his game! He had a good summer from memory including some really good figures at lords when I was there watching but he hasn’t done anything of note yet in this series

They've all got talent, there's no doubt about it, but you need consistency and being able to play a situation correctly.

Too many times, this morning being an example, we are in a decent position and blow it with frivolous batting or inconsistent bowling and fielding.

It's about grinding the opposition down when you are on top.

Like India did to us last winter, rattling up 700 in one innings, in particular.

We take the foot off the throat far too often.

Unless, the bowlers don't man up...

In the words of the Kaiser Chiefs,... "I predict a riot"... Perhaps a 550 score.

Sometimes, as b. hard as it is, I think you have to accept that we are losing to a much better team. If Stokes had played....who knows if that would have made any difference.

Player for player, batting wise, are they that much better, though? Root should be up there with Smith. Cook should be better than either Aussie opener. Our middle order is on a par with theirs.

The key ingredients they have, are players who can hit 90mph, whereas we are 10mph slower and on Aussie pitches, that does give us a disadvantage, which seems to be massive at the moment.

Andy, I think the Aussies FEEL they are better then us, whereas we FEEL inferior. It shouldn't be that way but it seems to be so. Either way, it is a bit of a disaster and a huge disappointment.

Back