• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

...and don't get too despondent Shrimpers - some key words from their local rag ;

Southend were troubling Town. Southend came out much the better side and twice went close The Shrimpers kept coming But the Shrimpers were relentless - Some dramatic and courageous last ditch defending was required

It did seem that were unfortunate not to get a point out of last night's game. Looking at the starting lineup though I couldn't see where goals would come from. As others have mentioned, the injury list is as bad as it has ever been. We were missing seven players last night, all could genuinely be considered as regulars if they were available. There is not one club at any level of football that would not be dropping points because of this. I do think it's a bit harsh blaming the manager for the position we find ourselves in.

And so it starts......

I was one of the 174 last night who made the trip to a place we've all been many times before, midweek, in the rain and in the knowledge we would have a patched up team. Interestingly, I didn't hear any "Brown Out"....

To put things in context, we've an injury list longer than your arm. It means we are woefully undermanned, with players out of position and three teenagers (one of which is, out of position). You can bemoan Brown's transfer policy, but I don't recall any one of you screaming your faces off when these players were brought in. And, in reality, the only old'un is Turner.

But, if you think Coker breaking his leg is Brown's fault. Who am I to tell you you're wrong? If you think Kightly is a bad signing, who am I to point at you and laugh? If you think Ranger having to be in bed at 7pm is Brown's fault. So be it. I don't recall demands that Kiernan not be signed. If you believe our entire defence being injured is down to Brown? Go fill your boots. We remain a small team trying to punch above our weight, and the reality is that top class twenty something players at the prime of their career who some of you think we should be signing, wont be coming here because they are top class twenty something players at the prime of their career and would rather be heading to Charlton or Wigan etc.....

On paper, we have an excellent team who could top this division. Sadly, at the moment, we don't have a team on paper we have a team in the treatment room.

So, to put that into context. Right now, it is an achievement to get eleven players on the pitch, let alone in the right place. Everything that could go wrong, has. BUT......

We went to the team top of the League and gave them a game. Yeah, we could have been 3 down at half time (decent stop by Oxley, intervention of the post), but second half we absolutely dominated and were desperately unlucky not to get something. Lady luck is currently out of town and with her is confidence in front of goal.

We played ok, considering. Elvis was wobbly, McG fairly quiet but Anton was way better (and mobile), Timlin got stuck in and Dimi had a decent game. On another day, that is a draw. I know a lot of you went to Charlton , and I think we were better last night than then.

What we need is to burgle a win from somewhere. Anywhere. Cox to grab a goal (he nearly did last night). Just something to kick start a season.

I was also there last night and we really didn't deserve to lose the game. Unfortunately we just don't have any luck at the moment but all it will take is one goal one win a couple of players back fit and we will kick on. Gotta keep the Faith !!

And Oxley opened up his near post.

The near post was guarded, but it seems to go under him. And yeah, while Elvis is a find, can't also help but feel he was easily outjumped at Charlton for their first as well.
He's raw, and hopefully will get better and better.

Yes and no. Of course kightly is a good player but a 3 year deal at 31?

Of course Kiernan can be decent but he was carrying an injury when he signed. Who's fault that we signed a player we can't use?

Turner is 33 years old and we offer a two year deal on very good money to a player that has not played hardly any football in two years. Again who's fault is that?

Have you ever seen so many muscle tears and strains in a team? I haven't. Is it poor training or physio issues or maybe the pitch isn't helping.

Brown is not soley responsible but is largely to blame.

We have an opportunity to sign a player who had the season of his life and has asked to join at a time we are not scoring or creating and Brown has blown the budget on players we can't use. Who's fault is that?

Fwiw I doubt turner will play more than a handful if any games this season. His wages will hamper our squad and our ability to get players in. I ask again. Who's fault is that?

And he's had his contract terminated at three clubs, one such instance being the season after he was top scorer and player of the year! If he signs and it doesn't work out I'd wager you are just the sort of poster who would be pointing that out and saying PB should have realised he was difficult and it's another bad signing from PB.

Josh Wright seems to be a topic that has well and truly been discussed. His career to date does not suggest he is good enough to solve our problems other than give the manager another body to select from. If we sign him it is more than likely going to be at Yearwood's expense. That would be so wrong. He certainly isn't to get a lot of game time when everyone is fit but in there is potentially a very good footballer. Dru will learn from every minute he can get on the pitch this season. That will be to his benefit and the Club's benefit in the seasons to come.

Only a side issue and maybe in the scheme of things of little consequence, but watching it on iFollow, it was apparent in the second half when the Blues were pressing for an equaliser, that the ballboy behind the Shrewsbury goal was, to put it mildly, taking his time in actually walking up to their keeper with the ball in his hand every time there was a goalkick. This happened at least four times. This, coupled with the Demetriou incident with a ballboy, suggests that the club has a policy of using these youngsters to time waste by delaying the return of the ball when the home side are running down the clock.

Only a side issue and maybe in the scheme of things of little consequence, but watching it on iFollow, it was apparent in the second half when the Blues were pressing for an equaliser, that the ballboy behind the Shrewsbury goal was, to put it mildly, taking his time in actually walking up to their keeper with the ball in his hand every time there was a goalkick. This happened at least four times. This, coupled with the Demetriou incident with a ballboy, suggests that the club has a policy of using these youngsters to time waste by delaying the return of the ball when the home side are running down the clock.

Not sure if it's club policy or just the kids being absolute ****ehawks, but it was annoying. I think the ref did indicate to our players at one point that he was keeping an eye on the time. The real solution is to move to a stopped clock, and to play 60mins

Really surprised by the Lincoln stat we must have signed him on the back of the FA Cup televised games ,seems like his successful spells goal wise were with Derby and Huddersfield
I wouldn't. He only made 12 League starts for them!

The near post was guarded, but it seems to go under him. And yeah, while Elvis is a find, can't also help but feel he was easily outjumped at Charlton for their first as well.
He's raw, and hopefully will get better and better.

If it was "guarded" as you say,then you really need to explain how it went "under him."

You're right it goes across and through him, he dives feet first, when the pundits say stand up and make your self big.

This.:thumbsup:

noooooo!

GK - Oxley

RB - White
CB - Ferdinand
CB - Turner/Kiernan
LB - Coker

RM - Kightly
CM - Leonard
CM - Wordsworth
LM - McLaughlin

FW - Cox
FW - Ranger

That is a first X1 that could potentially challenge for the title in this division so I do have some sympathy with PB but the bottom line is this injury crisis highlights the poor strength-in-depth of the squad. The signing of Josh Wright (IF it happens) and the return of Woody will help but while most of our defence is injured we will continue to leak goals and struggle.

Id have Demi in there any day.... Attacking threat always and experienced defender and reasonably consistent compared to most. Did you not see the game last night..! How can you not include him....probably the most consistent player last year and always fit!

As we've gone well and truely off topic to the usual/repeated points over and again I will make one that has been annoying me.
All signings, all strategies are a risk. Having a smaller squad of better players backed up with youth players is a risk, but having a large squad of average players is a risk (Paul Sturrock anyone?).
Signing players from higher up the leagues is a risk, signing players from down below is a risk.
Everything is a risk, it is a judgement call as to which risks you take and how you balance them.
Just because some people on here get over-excited about non-league talent doesn't mean they are better or without risk.
To be honest, many people on here just want to attack Brown and are disappointed when we do well.

7k kightly 6k Ferdinand 5k Leonard

I don't know for a fact if these are right, but the FACT Lenny turned down an improved contract and he is playing on the extension of his old one tells me that your figure for him is very much wrong. Now, if you had said Cox........

Id have Demi in there any day.... Attacking threat always and experienced defender and reasonably consistent compared to most. Did you not see the game last night..! How can you not include him....probably the most consistent player last year and always fit!

Because he's not very good and John White has been our player of the season so far?

My worries are injured players .how hell poor Ben can cope on is own has Martin cut is team physio down
Ben is busy boy

Back