• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I don't know for a fact if these are right, but the FACT Lenny turned down an improved contract and he is playing on the extension of his old one tells me that your figure for him is very much wrong. Now, if you had said Cox........

Because he's not very good and John White has been our player of the season so far?

Demetriou played well last night. Obviously had a point to prove and did well in a position he's not played before, alongside a youth LB playing CB and with McLaughlin in front who didn't offer much protection.

The issue is Hendrie. Brown has dropped him and he didn't look happy at all during warm up. It'll be interesting to see if he goes with Hendrie or Demetriou on Sat.

Demetriou played well last night. Obviously had a point to prove and did well in a position he's not played before, alongside a youth LB playing CB and with McLaughlin in front who didn't offer much protection.

The issue is Hendrie. Brown has dropped him and he didn't look happy at all during warm up. It'll be interesting to see if he goes with Hendrie or Demetriou on Sat.

Can't be true. bess30 says Demetriou is crap, theres no way he could have played well :sad:

Kightly Is in the twilight of his career and 3 year deal!!!

Hendrie is not a good player but we signed him based on a handful of games on loan a few seasons ago. Not played for the hammers and not played for Blackburn hardly all season.

You can add the ridiculous decision to give Robinson a longer contract too. He is not good enough.

Poor all round

So neither are crocks or has beens? So name the ones that are?

And so it starts......

I was one of the 174 last night who made the trip to a place we've all been many times before, midweek, in the rain and in the knowledge we would have a patched up team. Interestingly, I didn't hear any "Brown Out"....

To put things in context, we've an injury list longer than your arm. It means we are woefully undermanned, with players out of position and three teenagers (one of which is, out of position). You can bemoan Brown's transfer policy, but I don't recall any one of you screaming your faces off when these players were brought in. And, in reality, the only old'un is Turner.

But, if you think Coker breaking his leg is Brown's fault. Who am I to tell you you're wrong? If you think Kightly is a bad signing, who am I to point at you and laugh? If you think Ranger having to be in bed at 7pm is Brown's fault. So be it. I don't recall demands that Kiernan not be signed. If you believe our entire defence being injured is down to Brown? Go fill your boots. We remain a small team trying to punch above our weight, and the reality is that top class twenty something players at the prime of their career who some of you think we should be signing, wont be coming here because they are top class twenty something players at the prime of their career and would rather be heading to Charlton or Wigan etc.....

On paper, we have an excellent team who could top this division. Sadly, at the moment, we don't have a team on paper we have a team in the treatment room.

So, to put that into context. Right now, it is an achievement to get eleven players on the pitch, let alone in the right place. Everything that could go wrong, has. BUT......

We went to the team top of the League and gave them a game. Yeah, we could have been 3 down at half time (decent stop by Oxley, intervention of the post), but second half we absolutely dominated and were desperately unlucky not to get something. Lady luck is currently out of town and with her is confidence in front of goal.

We played ok, considering. Elvis was wobbly, McG fairly quiet but Anton was way better (and mobile), Timlin got stuck in and Dimi had a decent game. On another day, that is a draw. I know a lot of you went to Charlton , and I think we were better last night than then.

What we need is to burgle a win from somewhere. Anywhere. Cox to grab a goal (he nearly did last night). Just something to kick start a season.

ANY MORE COMMON SENSE POSTS LIKE THIS AND YOU WILL BE BANNED !! :winking:

Not sure if it's club policy or just the kids being absolute ****ehawks, but it was annoying. I think the ref did indicate to our players at one point that he was keeping an eye on the time. The real solution is to move to a stopped clock, and to play 60mins

This was something I suggested after one of our games last season, and I've always been baffled why this hasn't been looked into - no need to worry about players feigning injuries, time wasting substituation etc and it being down to a referees discretion.

Personally I think moving to a stopped clock is a great idea.

Id have Demi in there any day.... Attacking threat always and experienced defender and reasonably consistent compared to most. Did you not see the game last night..! How can you not include him....probably the most consistent player last year and always fit!

I reckon you are Demi, and I claim the £5 !! :winking:

Only a side issue and maybe in the scheme of things of little consequence, but watching it on iFollow, it was apparent in the second half when the Blues were pressing for an equaliser, that the ballboy behind the Shrewsbury goal was, to put it mildly, taking his time in actually walking up to their keeper with the ball in his hand every time there was a goalkick. This happened at least four times. This, coupled with the Demetriou incident with a ballboy, suggests that the club has a policy of using these youngsters to time waste by delaying the return of the ball when the home side are running down the clock.

I think you'll find most clubs train the ballboys/girls at when to throw back quickly and when to take their time...including our club. Personally, I think it's a disgusting example to set to young, impressionable players and should be routed out by the FA.

I think you'll find most clubs train the ballboys/girls at when to throw back quickly and when to take their time...including our club. Personally, I think it's a disgusting example to set to young, impressionable players and should be routed out by the FA.
Southend use different ball boys/girls every match they are told how to how to return ball to player, but are not told to deliberately time waste.
It would actually have been quicker to get the ball back into play if Shrewsbury didn't have thier ball boys/girls slowing it down. Wigan if I remember do the same thing.

It was absolutely blatant at Shrewsbury. The goalkeeper just stood there while the ballboy slowly ambled up to him and handed him the ball on at least four occasions in the second half. I think SUFC should launch a formal protest, there is ample video evidence.

I don't know for a fact if these are right, but the FACT Lenny turned down an improved contract and he is playing on the extension of his old one tells me that your figure for him is very much wrong. Now, if you had said Cox........

Because he's not very good and John White has been our player of the season so far?

At centre back JW is definitely better....and cant argue with the MOM awards he gets in that position. But Demi's a better Right/wing back

in fact I think JW has been a revelation since moving into the centre. Controlled and aggressive. What he lacks in inches that position, he seems to make up for in positioning more often than not. Wouldn't be surprised if clubs higher up look at him in the CB role. Really developed into a solid player there

in fact I think JW has been a revelation since moving into the centre. Controlled and aggressive. What he lacks in inches that position, he seems to make up for in positioning more often than not. Wouldn't be surprised if clubs higher up look at him in the CB role. Really developed into a solid player there

How 'In the know' are you, in the know?

Southend use different ball boys/girls every match they are told how to how to return ball to player, but are not told to deliberately time waste.
It would actually have been quicker to get the ball back into play if Shrewsbury didn't have thier ball boys/girls slowing it down. Wigan if I remember do the same thing.

How sad that children are taught to behave like petulant selfish adults, instead of just enjoying their experience which no doubt they were looking forward to.

If this is true, Shrewsbury Town and any other club that trains their ballboys/girls to do this should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves!

Agreed, my son was a ball boy three or four years ago ( all be it he had a broken leg), and I know other dads on here have sons that have been ball boys. It's a different team every match and they certainly are not trained to do anything other than be efficient and pay attention

How sad that children are taught to behave like petulant selfish adults, instead of just enjoying their experience which no doubt they were looking forward to.

If this is true, Shrewsbury Town and any other club that trains their ballboys/girls to do this should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves!

Yep as Blues Exile pointed out it was so blatant at Shrewsbury.

Agreed, my son was a ball boy three or four years ago ( all be it he had a broken leg), and I know other dads on here have sons that have been ball boys. It's a different team every match and they certainly are not trained to do anything other than be efficient and pay attention
One of the chaps that sorts it all out on the day at Southend who is called Richard, certainly does not tell the kids to cheat.

Have a look on Saturday and our ball boys/girls will not waste time for either team, sure sometimes they are not quite paying attention and things go wrong but its not intentional.

As I posted previously our ball boys/girls only do it for one match they are not told at all to waste time and I have rarely if ever seen them waste time at Roots Hall.

There was one particular kid who was obviously enjoying being a bit of a prat, and deliberately slowing us down. Demetriou wrongly but understandably gave him a push and I'm surprised more hasn't been made of it. No evidence whatsoever that this was Shrewsbury Town FC policy though (he says as this thread is about to run away with itself).

As I posted previously our ball boys/girls only do it for one match they are not told at all to waste time and I have rarely if ever seen them waste time at Roots Hall.

Perhaps they should do. Probably be in the Championship now if we hadn't let in late goals last season....

Back