• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wish the loan had never happened! We have less capacity than previously and it meant the club nearly got liquidated due to other unpaid debts. Less than a quarter of the money was actually used on the stand, hope the people that stole the money get whats coming to them!

Wanted to get a little info on your season to date as I have done in the past and likewise give a little info on our season so far.

We were the first team in England to part with our manager this season when we got rid of Justin Edinburgh and I am delighted that we did. We ended last season with no wins in our last 8 and we scored 4 goals in that time. This season started losing our first 4 and it was clear JED really had no clue. It didn't help that he didnt seem to build any rapport with the fans in terms of his attitude or his dire style of football. He persisted with a 3-5-2 this season with players put in positions they were not used to and despite making some 14 signings this season we still had a strike force with a combined age of 69.

Fortunately he has now gone and we have JFH who already has put players in the right positions, increased the intensity of play and got us pressing far higher up the pitch. We have been a little fortunate to win both games so far (would have lost both based on expected goals if anyone cares about that stuff), we have been extremely clinical and our new keeper Matt Ingram has made some great saves. No idea how we will set up away from home under Jimmy but I am expecting us to be in a solid shape and try and play on the break.

Players to watch out for: Matt Crooks signed from Rangers for a fee rumoured to be around 100k this summer. Clearly has ability on the ball and is extremely tall for a midfielder. Has a slightly lax style of play but has a great touch and is improving game by game.
Matt Grimes was signed on a season long loan from Swansea and you can see why they paid 1.7million for him as a youngster. Always seems to want the ball and looks to dictate the play, set pieces are also excellent which is ideal as Matt Taylor is no longer with us.

So what has gone wrong for you guys so far? I tipped you in a predictor league as being nailed on for the top 6, injuries seem to be an issue but any other factors playing a part?

Enjoyed the 2-2 last year, I am expecting a 1-1 draw this time around.

Cobblers.

Wish the loan had never happened! We have less capacity than previously and it meant the club nearly got liquidated due to other unpaid debts. Less than a quarter of the money was actually used on the stand, hope the people that stole the money get whats coming to them!

Wanted to get a little info on your season to date as I have done in the past and likewise give a little info on our season so far.

We were the first team in England to part with our manager this season when we got rid of Justin Edinburgh and I am delighted that we did. We ended last season with no wins in our last 8 and we scored 4 goals in that time. This season started losing our first 4 and it was clear JED really had no clue. It didn't help that he didnt seem to build any rapport with the fans in terms of his attitude or his dire style of football. He persisted with a 3-5-2 this season with players put in positions they were not used to and despite making some 14 signings this season we still had a strike force with a combined age of 69.

Fortunately he has now gone and we have JFH who already has put players in the right positions, increased the intensity of play and got us pressing far higher up the pitch. We have been a little fortunate to win both games so far (would have lost both based on expected goals if anyone cares about that stuff), we have been extremely clinical and our new keeper Matt Ingram has made some great saves. No idea how we will set up away from home under Jimmy but I am expecting us to be in a solid shape and try and play on the break.

Players to watch out for: Matt Crooks signed from Rangers for a fee rumoured to be around 100k this summer. Clearly has ability on the ball and is extremely tall for a midfielder. Has a slightly lax style of play but has a great touch and is improving game by game.
Matt Grimes was signed on a season long loan from Swansea and you can see why they paid 1.7million for him as a youngster. Always seems to want the ball and looks to dictate the play, set pieces are also excellent which is ideal as Matt Taylor is no longer with us.

So what has gone wrong for you guys so far? I tipped you in a predictor league as being nailed on for the top 6, injuries seem to be an issue but any other factors playing a part?

Enjoyed the 2-2 last year, I am expecting a 1-1 draw this time around.

Cobblers.

Mostly injuries forcing us to play youngsters and players out of position. Also playing injured players. Our best striker has just been released from prison. Also, the two strikers that have been playing, Cox and Fortune are way off form and can't score at the moment. Mind you, the supply to them has been non existent. When we have most of our players back we will climb the League. So we will still finish top half even tho things are looking very bad at the moment.

Cobblers to you to. :winking:

From a Northampton rag ;

Venue: Roots Hall, Southend-on-Sea

Forecast: 14C, cloudy

Outs and doubts: Cobblers: John-Joe O’Toole (groin), Aaron Phillips (thigh), Sam Foley (knee), Sam Hoskins (knee), Shaun McWilliams (foot). Southend: John White (groin), Michael Kightly (hamstring),
Possible line-ups: Cobblers (4-3-3): Ingram; Moloney, Taylor, Pierre, Buchanan; Grimes, Crooks, Kasim; Long, Revell, Smith. Southend: Oxley; Ferdinand, Demetriou, Kyprianou; Timlin; McLaughlin; Yearwood, Leonard; McGlashan, Bwomono, Fortune

Betting: Southend 10/11, draw 3/1, Northampton 3/1
Form guide: Cobblers WWDLL, Southend: LLDLD

Man in the middle: Nick Kinseley
Last time out: Northampton 3 (Long 2, Crooks) Portsmouth 1; Shrewsbury 1 Southend United 0

Most recent meeting: February 18, 2017, Roots Hall: Southend 2 (McGlashan, Cox) Cobblers 2 (Richards, O’Toole)
Record v Southend: P118 W45 D29 L44

Southend connection: Billy Best is regarded as a legend at both the Cobblers and Southend United. Best enjoyed two spells at the old County Ground, and was part of the Town squad that reached the first division for the only season in the Cobblers’ history in 1965/66. His two spells with Northampton sandwiched a five-season stint at Roots Hall, where the Glaswegian established himself as a ‘Shrimpers legend’. At Southend he scored an incredible 123 goals in 246 starts. In all, Best spent 10 years with the Cobblers, playing in all four divisions of the Football League for the club,
Opposition view: Southend boss Phil Brown: “I wouldn’t say Northampton are an in-form side but you would say two wins out of two, he’s (Hasselbaink) doing something right. We know what he’s all about. He’s about hard work, he likes a bit of quality in his side and they’ve got an old player that used to be here in Alex Revell who is leading the line. It appears he’s shifted from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2 – there’s lots of little things that he’s changed, but he’s just reinvigorated them. He’s given them a little bit of belief and that’s the hard part of the game.”

Jeremy Casey’s preview: Two very welcome wins in the space of three days at Sixfields laid one hoodoo to rest for the Cobblers this week... now for another one.
Saturday’s 1-0 victory over Doncaster Rovers saw Town claim their first points of the season, and their first win in any competition since March 14, a run stretching back 14 matches.
The Donny win was quickly followed up by another three-pointer, Tuesday’s 3-1 triumph over Portsmouth, with new boss Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink making an impressively quick mark.

But Town are now on their travels this weekend when they go to Southend United, and improving the club’s woeful record on the road is the next hurdle for Hasselbaink to overcome.
So far in 2017, the Cobblers have won just one away game, and that was on March 11 at AFC Wimbledon when a late Matt Taylor penalty sealed a 1-0 victory.
Town have failed to win any of their other 12 matches on the road since the turn of the year, but perhaps this weekend’s trip to Roots Hall offers a chance to improve that record.
Phil Brown’s team are without a win since their opening day triumph over Blackburn Rovers, and were beaten 1-0 at Shrewsbury on Tuesday night, a result that allowed the Cobblers to leapfrog them in the Sky Bet League One table.
It could be seen as a good time to play Southend, but although struggling to win games, Brown’s side have yet to lose a home league clash this season, following up that that win over Blackburn with draws against Plymouth Argyle and Rochdale.
The Cobblers’ record at Roots Hall is hardly sparking either, with just one win there in the past 14 years.
They did manage a 2-2 draw in their most recent trip there in February, and it is an indication of the change and upheaval at Sixfields in the following six months that only four players from that match day squad - Dave Buchanan, Marc Richards, John-Joe O’Toole and David Cornell - are still with the Cobblers.
But Town will be travelling to Essex in good heart, full of confidence and, perhaps most importantly, with self belief.
That has quickly been instilled into them by Hasselbaink, as well as, judging by the players we have spoken to, some direction, discipline, structure and organisation.
You would imagine those things would be a given with any manager of a professional football team, and I am sure it is to a certain extent, but clearly Hasselbaink provides that little bit extra.
Selection wise, I can’t see Hasselbaink venturing too far away from the team he selected for his first two games in charge, although he will be forced into one change due to Shaun McWilliams being out injured.
The absence of the 19-year-old is a blow for Hasselbaink, who has been impressed by the Sixfields academy graduate, but he has options to replace him.
He could go for Yaser Kasim to play alongside Matt Grimes in a two as he did after McWilliams went off on Tuesday, or perhaps bring Matt Crooks in to partner the Swansea loan man, and utilise somebody else out wide.
Perhaps an away game would be the perfect time to switch to a 4-5-1 formation, with Kasim, Grimes and Crooks as a central midfield three, with flyers either side of them to get up and down the pitch to support defence and aid attack.
But, as always, I am only guessing, because as Hasselbaink said himself this week, he isn’t going to tell me what he’s going to do. I’ll have to wait and see, just like everybody else!
But what I am expecting to see is a Cobblers side that is going to be hard to beat.
A Cobblers side that is going to compete, that is going to be positive when it gets the chance, and is going to give Southend a real run for their money.
A third win on the trot would put the icing on a fabulous few days for Hasselbaink and the Cobblers, and this team is certainly capable of it.
But I don’t think anybody would be too disappointed with a draw either.
Prediction: Southend United 1 Cobblers 1

If, as is reported, Woody is a "starter" (until he tires) then would the midfield be MacL, Len, Woody and Tims?
Would that then mean that Dru and McGlash are bench substitutes?

I think our glorious history and the sheer magnificence and symbolic stature of Roots Hall as one of world football's great stages will carry us through this tricky fixture. 1-0 Southend, own goal

Blimey. I wonder if Southend Council would lend SUFC £10.25 Million?

Meanwhile, anyone else notice in Victoria Avenue near the pizza shop, that the wall(The one that used to have Ron Pountney spray painted on it) has been painted with words the same as the shiny fence at the roundabout on Sutton Road?

Old news i am afraid - its been there months.

Ox
Demi Ferdinand kypri tims
Woody dru lenny macca
Cox ranger

2-1 southend woody and ranger to score

Ox
Demi Ferdinand kypri tims
Woody dru lenny macca
Cox ranger

2-1 southend woody and ranger to score

Hell no.

I'd go.

Ox

Bwomono white ferdinand hendrie
Demetriou Wordsworth Lenny mclaughlin
Ranger cox

Last edited:
Can't quite contain hubby's excitement at the prospect of being within touching distance of JFH, whereas I remember him as the manager of a bloody lucky and horrible Burton side.:thumbdown:

I know Woody has been desperate to play so it may well be that he is given the start in the hope it gives us the impetus to get a result on the board in the 1st half. At least it sounds like that Toole bloke might be missing! Revs, however, always comes back with a point to prove :sad:

Can't quite contain hubby's excitement at the prospect of being within touching distance of JFH, whereas I remember him as the manager of a bloody lucky and horrible Burton side.:thumbdown:

I know Woody has been desperate to play so it may well be that he is given the start in the hope it gives us the impetus to get a result on the board in the 1st half. At least it sounds like that Toole bloke might be missing! Revs, however, always comes back with a point to prove :sad:

The ghastly Burton side that cheated its way past us in the play-offs was managed by Gary Rowett-now at Derby,till they next decide to re-appoint the wally with or without the brolly!

For today's game,we know Ranger won't last 90 mins,so PLEASE don't take Cox off!Fortune' is still a capable attacker but has no goal scoring instinct and Robinson,seeming to lack basic ball-control,is only likely to score with a first-time shot.

Back