• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
We currently lead Northampton by the narrowest of margins in League wins. We've won 42 to their 41 from 111 matches.

League results (wdl) against them at Roots Hall this century are 4-4-2, a good football stat.

Man in charge tomorrow makes his first competitive appearance at Roots Hall although he's done the odd friendly. It is Nick Kinseley of Wickford or thereabouts who will be refereeing his second Southend league match in his third season as a League referee. A surprising appointment in my opinion given his location. There was a time when having a Southend postcode would have ruled him out of this match although it has been suggested he may have moved to just outside the Southend postcode area opening up opportunities to referee Southend (I'm not suggesting he moved for that reason!).

Shaven-headed and in his early 40's, he learnt his trade in the Southend Sunday Junior and Basildon Sunday Leagues, 11 years on the line of the Football League and four on the Premier League line.

His only previous Southend match was last season at Wimbledon and I had warned not to expect too much. In the event, he did fine with a solitary caution to them (ex-Concord player Lyle Taylor) and three points to us! Despite this satisfactory showing, he has attracted a bit of adverse criticism, especially in games which have been "challenging".

Last season's card count was a little on the high side with 113 yellows and 6 reds from 31 matches. This season is similar with 19 yellows and a red from 5 matches.

This is his first Northampton away match but he has done three of their home matches with very mixed results.

Assistants are Kevin Howick from Abingdon in Oxfordshire and Paul Kelly from Gillingham. Paul Yates from Maidstone completes the team as Fourth Official.

Previous referees from Mr Kinseley's location include the notorious official - the Wickford Whistler (other alliterations are available) Alan Turvey, who some older readers may recall putting in an hideous performance in the Brighton away game in the mid 70s, a match he was allowed to do as he'd moved to Basingstoke by then.

On a more positive note, again for older supporters, when anticipating a Northampton home match, it's difficult not to think back nostalgically 31 years to that wonderful 4-4 Cup Tie, refereed by Ray Lewis of Great Bookham.

On a more positive note, again for older supporters, when anticipating a Northampton home match, it's difficult not to think back nostalgically 31 years to that wonderful 4-4 Cup Tie, refereed by Ray Lewis of Great Bookham.

Alas, when this fixture pops up, I'm reminded more of a pretty traumatic 0-4 defeat on Boxing Day in 1986!

(Happily, Northampton away games make me think of our 5-2 comeback win in 2012)

Alas, when this fixture pops up, I'm reminded more of a pretty traumatic 0-4 defeat on Boxing Day in 1986!

That was only 3 weeks later and in between we managed to lose the cup replay 3-2.

That was only 3 weeks later and in between we managed to lose the cup replay 3-2.

I might have gone to the 4-4 (not sure, was only seven at the time) but if I did, I'm not sure what it says about me that I remember the awful defeat and not an eight goal thriller!

Last edited:
I might have gone to the 4-4 (not sure, was only seven at the time) but if I did, I'm not sure what it says about me that I remember the awful defeat and not an eight goal thriller!

Depressingly, I'm old enough to remember the 4-4 vividly as I was a fair bit older than 7. Richard Cadette was absolute mustard.

Ref had a bit of a strange game, he got most things right; except the booking/throw time waste as it ought still to have been their throw, and the booking for Anton was daft as the red player was on the side line when he got sent off and ought to have left the field by the west and walked around.
And PB had a very mild game with no ref/4th official badgering either so Phil might have thought he (the ref) did an ok job.
Certainly the ref was consistent with bookings for dissent and some players lucky not to get a 2nd card (Tims and Dru) for kicking the ball away.

Ref had a bit of a strange game, he got most things right; except the booking/throw time waste as it ought still to have been their throw, and the booking for Anton was daft as the red player was on the side line when he got sent off and ought to have left the field by the west and walked around.
And PB had a very mild game with no ref/4th official badgering either so Phil might have thought he (the ref) did an ok job.
Certainly the ref was consistent with bookings for dissent and some players lucky not to get a 2nd card (Tims and Dru) for kicking the ball away.

We thought the change of throw was correct for the time wasting? Agreed on the red card, poor reffing. From our viewpoint, some of the offsides in the 2nd half seemed wrong - be interested to hear from others with a better view.

I thought that was a new rule brought in last season?

Any refs who can help? Mick? Lord Football?

I thought that was a new rule brought in last season?

Any refs who can help? Mick? Lord Football?

If it's a "new rule" it certainly passed me by. My understanding is that before the throw-in occurs, a misconduct is committed (delaying the restart by wasting time) and therefore a throw-in by the same team is still the correct restart. The only way a throw-in is given to the opposing team is when a throw-in which is actually taken that puts the ball into play (i.e., leaves the hands and entirely crosses the touchline) is judged to have been in violation of Law 15’s various requirements for a legal throw-in.

When a goal-keeper is cautioned for taking too long over a goal-kick, you wouldn't expect it to be changed to a corner (although that might speed up the keepers!) !!

"When a goal-keeper is cautioned for taking too long over a goal-kick, you wouldn't expect it to be changed to a corner (although that might speed up the keepers!) !!"

That is a bloomin' great idea!

Back