• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
I am surprised not to have seen any mention of this on the Zone today...it's a quite clear directive that this kind of behaviour is simply not welcome, and yet, there is still an element amongst our support who think it's "no pyro, no party" - and I was disappointed to see some older supporters taking this stance too.

I've had a couple of run ins on Twitter after Gillingham and Charlton, with various young "lads", all around the 17/18 age who think this is cool and fun. I'm a bit disappointed that the club haven't actually released how much it costs them but at least we've had a clear notification.

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2017/september/important-message-to-suppor/ -

This is another reminder that the use of smoke bombs and pyrotechnics is strictly prohibited by the Football League and Southend United.

Such incidents are extremely dangerous, come at a cost to the Club and will not be tolerated at Roots Hall and at away grounds.

Southend fans found to be in possession or involved in such acts will face a lifetime ban.

Just legalise it and start selling pyro in the club shop. It will stop instantly.

Young fans will always rebel.

Well i'm guessing the idiot "yoot" at Gillingham got banned as he was stupid enough to do it in front of the steward and the Police with camera's off to my right in the corner.

OBL, remind me, what's the procedure / fine again per game? or is it totaled up at the end of the season? and billed to the club by the EFL?

Edit:, sorry, you mentioned you wasn't aware. Anyone else have any idea?

If my company was fined due to delinquents who were connected to it in some form i'd want them to pay the fine!
Chances are they couldn't find 6 grand so they can go elsewhere.
Why keep paying when this could be sorted.Threats by the club are no good! It's too much money to be losing every time there is such an incident(no cctv).
Need them Sheriffs off the box! If you can't pay we'll take it away and you'll be on your xbox at 3 o'clock on a saturday afternoon.

Bog rolls were harmless, didn't cause anyone else health hazards and were easily dealt with. There's a very cavalier attitude to smoke bombs.
Tell that to the fella in trap 3 when the keeper's just tripped over and his missed the goal coz he can't wipe his arse!

I was at Hammarby v AIK in the Swedish Premier League on sunday and the pyros let off by the AIK fans were amazing. They are allowed to do it about 5 mins before kick off it seems and the atmosphere was amazing. Loads of police and stewards to see it doesnt get out of control.

I was at Hammarby v AIK in the Swedish Premier League on sunday and the pyros let off by the AIK fans were amazing. They are allowed to do it about 5 mins before kick off it seems and the atmosphere was amazing. Loads of police and stewards to see it doesnt get out of control.

There ya go, that's what happens in Sweden. Over here the Club gets fined every time some dick-head thinks it's ok to let them off. The morality of letting smoke bombs off will be, and has been debated on here at length, the reality of letting smoke bombs off doesn't need debate, it's an offence to do it.

What the club now need to do is enforce what they capture on CCTV and ban the people that let smoke bombs off with no exceptions. Don't just say it, do it.

I wonder if they do? (I hope so) I did a bit of research, apparently its an £80 fine + possible prison sentance (same applies for bringing in a sparkler as a smoke bomb).

It's a pdf, but still quite interesting (3 year ban minimum & up to the club to extend that to a lifetime ban). Also possible knock on effects in the future for travelling to the USA etc.

Anyway....

http://www.fsf.org.uk/assets/Smoke-Bombs-Flares-and-Fireworks-Factsheet-for-FSF.pdf

given the raising of the threat level following yesterdays failed bombings I'd have thought there would be a major clampdown on any pyrotechnics of any kind being allowed in public which may well deter some people.

That use of pyrotechnics by crowd members is so ridiculous, dangerous and one has to question the mentality of anyone that thinks it's fun or clever.

I do not really understand this business of being fined for incidents. The club tries to deter it and hires security, for what it's worth, at each game. We know it is a criminal offence and so a police matter and beyond that it's a nightmare for the clubs insurers. I don't see what good it does for the league to have its hand out and penalise. I am sure the club has incentive enough to quash these incidents and the league is just making money for nothing.

I must confess that I did expect to hear of arrests after the Gillingham game as the police had cameras on the away fans throughout the match from quite a close position. As I mentioned elsewhere on this forum, there was footage on Twitter after the Charlton game of a group of "lads" on a boat on the Thames going under Tower Bridge with a blue smoke bomb and singing Southend chants. Whilst that in itself is not illegal, I would have thought this group of lads are probably worth some scrutiny.

Good job we didn't have smoke bombs and pyrotechnics back in the day,we had to settle for rockets,bangers and any other legal firework Standards couldn't produce quick enough,now whilst i hate this smoke bombs at football, the club dishing out life bans on stupid young lads is a little over the top.
When they find these lads in the act read them the riot act ban them for 5 games and tell them before they come back on match days they must paint the unsafe and unhealthy west side toilets which the club promised last season.:thumbsup:

All this talk of bog rolls may well be a tissue of lies. Boom! Boom! Just trying to relieve the tension, COYBB

If my company was fined due to delinquents who were connected to it in some form i'd want them to pay the fine!
Chances are they couldn't find 6 grand so they can go elsewhere.
Why keep paying when this could be sorted.Threats by the club are no good! It's too much money to be losing every time there is such an incident(no cctv).
Need them Sheriffs off the box! If you can't pay we'll take it away and you'll be on your xbox at 3 o'clock on a saturday afternoon.
If under 16 Fine their parents instead. They would soon make sure that their delinquent child did not do it again!

Good job we didn't have smoke bombs and pyrotechnics back in the day,we had to settle for rockets,bangers and any other legal firework Standards couldn't produce quick enough,now whilst i hate this smoke bombs at football, the club dishing out life bans on stupid young lads is a little over the top.
When they find these lads in the act read them the riot act ban them for 5 games and tell them before they come back on match days they must paint the unsafe and unhealthy west side toilets which the club promised last season.:thumbsup:

They are doing it when they know its illegal and will get a life time ban. A 5 game ban is hardly going to be a deterrent.

is another reminder that the use of smoke bombs and pyrotechnics is strictly prohibited by the Football League

Presume UEFA have different rules for their games?. Did'nt see Cologne fans being ejected or nicked when they held their own 'torchlight display' at The Emirates on Thursday?.

Back