• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm a big fan of the old trusted 4-4-2 formation. The big man, little man combo up front with two pacey wingers supplying them creates a lot of problems for teams.

But with Josh Wright now in the squad, how well do you think we could get on with a 4-3-3 set up? A midfield three of Lenny, Woody and Wright would offer us a balance of defensive cover with Lenny and a lot of quality going forward with all three being comfortable going forward.

We could then have the likes of Kightly, McGlashan, McLaughlin either side of the front man who I'd go with Coxy.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I've always fancied the idea of going into an away match against a team like Fleetwood who usually set themselves up with an attacking formation with our own attacking formation, in this case 5 forwards with two wingers (McG and McL) and Cox, Ranger and Fortune in the centre. Come out of our traps at full pace so Fleetwood don't know what's hit them, go 2-0 or 3-0 up within five to ten minutes and then immediately sub three of the forwards with three defenders and sit on what we have.

Sounds like a mad formation, but actually that's what we used to do in the 1960s with McKinven, Beesley, Woodley, Smith and Conway. Would never really happen now, of course, but wouldn't it be great to try it?

I'm a big fan of the old trusted 4-4-2 formation. The big man, little man combo up front with two pacey wingers supplying them creates a lot of problems for teams.

But with Josh Wright now in the squad, how well do you think we could get on with a 4-3-3 set up? A midfield three of Lenny, Woody and Wright would offer us a balance of defensive cover with Lenny and a lot of quality going forward with all three being comfortable going forward.

We could then have the likes of Kightly, McGlashan, McLaughlin either side of the front man who I'd go with Coxy.

Thoughts?

I do like this option but with Kightly and Cox either side of Ranger. Not until we have our two most solid full-backs fit and playing though - White and Coker.

Thoughts?

The way the game is played now you can't play 4-3-3 as such, you will just get over-run in midfield and constantly under pressure. It ends up being 4-5-1 when the oppo have the ball and no-one likes seeing us play like that at home.

The way the game is played now you can't play 4-3-3 as such, you will just get over-run in midfield and constantly under pressure. It ends up being 4-5-1 when the oppo have the ball and no-one likes seeing us play like that at home.

As long as we are winning football matches I don't really care what formation we play. Just thinking ways we can get all three of them involved.

Thoughts?
The problem is you then lose Ranger. I know it's not happened for him so far this season, but he was crucial last season and he will get back that soon.

The problem is you then lose Ranger. I know it's not happened for him so far this season, but he was crucial last season and he will get back that soon.

I like Ranger but whilst he is on the pitch our tactics just seem to be lump it up to him and hope he can make something happen. Not blaming him for that but without him on the pitch Brown would have to come up with a different approach.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. I never truly understood what this meant when an inspirational speaker pumped it out at a 'When I still worked' conference. However, thinking about it now it sort of fits our 4 4 2 pattern. We've tried other formations, and a bit like herding cats, it don't work. So we end up back with 4 4 2. We know that, we're comfortable with it, and it's in our psyche unfortunately.

I like Ranger but whilst he is on the pitch our tactics just seem to be lump it up to him and hope he can make something happen. Not blaming him for that but without him on the pitch Brown would have to come up with a different approach.
I dont really believe thats how PB wants us to plays. We just get put under pressure, and we just lump it out of defence, because thats all they can think off

I agree with you, but that is how we got our second goal yesterday

We got told for years the reason we had any problems because we didnt play 442.

As has shown, the formation doesn't win games. Dont think we should try to play formations to squeeze players in either, we did that enough with Payne.

I think 442 is probably the best way to go, can always use 3 central midfielders rather than two out and out wide players. Always need at least one genuine wide player though.

Back