• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

interesting, but not at all surprising IMO.

There have been a lot of positives and like they say it is only a matter of time before we climb the table

Interesting read, thanks for sharing.

I have always found Fleetwood to be clinical. They seem to always score without looking menacing...

And Wigan seem to love playing in this division...

Our forward options consisting of Simon Cox, Nile Ranger, Marc Antoine Fortune and Theo Robinson have just the 1 league goal between them for a combined yardage of 0.5 yards.

There is a stat for you

If the minutes per goal ratio is bad, heaven knows what the pounds (wages) per goal ratio equates to

Having read through some of the stats for the last few games, it looks like we're massively dominant in every department except for the actual goalscoring - against Shrewsbury, for example, we had enough decent chances that an average League 1 team would have put away over 2 goals, yet we managed none. Is this the mythical 'rub of the green' that managers talk about? If so, how can we get some?

Having read through some of the stats for the last few games, it looks like we're massively dominant in every department except for the actual goalscoring - against Shrewsbury, for example, we had enough decent chances that an average League 1 team would have put away over 2 goals, yet we managed none. Is this the mythical 'rub of the green' that managers talk about? If so, how can we get some?

Not to mention the two clear-cut penalties we should have had in that game.

This doesn't surprise me at all this season. We have failed to hit the target a lot, and in pretty much every game had more attempts than the opposition. We also seem to concede with virtually every opposition attempt on target.

I am going to do some digging as I am bored.

We have had 103 shots, 33 on target (32%) and scored 9 goals which, is 27% of our shots on target and 8% of our total shots.

Our opponents have had 82 shots, 38 on target (46%) and scored 15 goals, which is 39% of shots on target and a staggering 18% of total shots.

Last edited:

'Rub of the green' generally equates to wrong place at the wrong time. Players not totally tuned in to one another. You will get a cross to the far post while the forward attacks the near post. Balls into the box while the team are heavy on their heels and not following it in. The keeper spills and there is no one to pick up the loose ball. The scenarios are many and have nothing to do with luck. The final third of the pitch is where anticipation, invention and team orders, have to be at their best. I am sure it is not coincidental that our preseason, which missed having our best eleven together, has manifest into a poor start to the season. Togetherness is everything. You can bemoan that lady luck has abandoned us or accept the 'misfortune' is of our own making.

'Rub of the green' generally equates to wrong place at the wrong time. Players not totally tuned in to one another. You will get a cross to the far post while the forward attacks the near post. Balls into the box while the team are heavy on their heels and not following it in. The keeper spills and there is no one to pick up the loose ball. The scenarios are many and have nothing to do with luck. The final third of the pitch is where anticipation, invention and team orders, have to be at their best. I am sure it is not coincidental that our preseason, which missed having our best eleven together, has manifest into a poor start to the season. Togetherness is everything. You can bemoan that lady luck has abandoned us or accept the 'misfortune' is of our own making.

Whilst I get the principle, I am not sure that "rub of the green" is the wrong place at the wrong time and the failure to follow up spilled shots or the lack of anticipation from strikers. That is something that, with coaching and practice, we can improve on.

I think it is more akin to penalties not given, fluke own goals or deflections, bad refereeing decisions, unfortunate injuries, stuff like that. For instance, the 2 non-pens at Shrewsbury that would have been given in most other games. Coker's broken leg. Wordsworth's freak injury that delayed his return. Ranger being refused permission to do his job of work (a mate of mine is a prison office who had said that generally, those sort of things are granted). The blinding form of the opposition keeper whenever Cox hits a shot goalwards. Turner and Kiernan both getting injured within days of passing medicals.

All of these things happening at once..

That's rub of the green in my book. But I do get the point and when you combine it with the issues you refer to, it makes the whole thing even worse.

Back