• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yougov suggest that Brexit is most commonly picked (60%) by people as one of their top 3 current issues. Finding consistent throughout 2017. Latest poll (Jan 2018) has health closely behind.

https://yougov.co.uk/publicopinion/archive/?category=political-trackers

Obviously there are issues with framing 'brexit' because of the uncertainty about what it'll actually do/mean

Not according to Andrew Neil on the Daily Politics show last Wednesday.He didn't say which polling organisation he was quoting, (presumably not Yougov),nor give any figures but his comment was what I referenced.As a BBC presenter he's supposed to be neutral.

Youguv isn't the only polling organisation out there you know.:winking:

Not according to Andrew Neil on the Daily Politics show last Wednesday.He didn't say which polling organisation he was quoting, (presumably not Yougov),nor give any figures but his comment was what I referenced.As a BBC presenter he's supposed to be neutral.

Youguv isn't the only polling organisation out there you know.:winking:

You probably looking at the same polls that said we would vote remain 70/30 aren't you.

Meanwhile back here Britain those of us that talk to real people know what's going on and what concerns them.

You probably looking at the same polls that said we would vote remain 70/30 aren't you.

Meanwhile back here Britain those of us that talk to real people know what's going on and what concerns them.

Evidence seems to suggest that there's a growing momentum behind a re-run for another referendum vote and if there was such a vote then the remain side would win.

In any case the Commons vote on the Brexit deal could get hairy.

Evidence seems to suggest that there's a growing momentum behind a re-run for another referendum vote and if there was such a vote then the remain side would win.

In any case the Commons vote on the Brexit deal could get hairy.

Daniel Finkelstein - like you and I, very much a remainer - wrote a piece in The Times the other day setting out why that wouldn't necessarily be the case.

It's behind a paywall/in the recycling bin at home, but he pointed to a number of reasons that might play in to the hands of 'leave' in the event of a second referendum. They included the economy having weakened, but not catastrophically so (yet), and remainers who accepted the original result potentially voting 'leave' as a protest about de-legitimising the original vote. There were others too, but escape me right now.

Interesting though - I had thought a second one would be a comfortable win for 'remain'. but I thought that in June 2016 too!

Daniel Finkelstein - like you and I, very much a remainer - wrote a piece in The Times the other day setting out why that wouldn't necessarily be the case.

It's behind a paywall/in the recycling bin at home, but he pointed to a number of reasons that might play in to the hands of 'leave' in the event of a second referendum. They included the economy having weakened, but not catastrophically so (yet), and remainers who accepted the original result potentially voting 'leave' as a protest about de-legitimising the original vote. There were others too, but escape me right now.

Interesting though - I had thought a second one would be a comfortable win for 'remain'. but I thought that in June 2016 too!

Unlike me,of course,DF is a Tory and a former advisor to William Hague,IIRC.Having said that, I usually enjoy his occasional appearances on the box.

I don't think for a moment, (as I've said before), that there will be a second referendum.I do think, however, that the Brexit shambles will play into Labour's hands at the next GE,whenever that is.

Unlike me,of course,DF is a Tory and a former advisor to Cameron,IIRC.Having said that, I usually enjoy his infrequent appearances on the box.

Adviser to Major and Hague (that went well), Cameron's biographer. And a member of the SDP back in the day too!

I enjoy reading his stuff and we also both used to frequent the same greasy spoon near Harrow so he must be a man of impeccable culinary tastes.

Unlike me,of course,DF is a Tory and a former advisor to William Hague,IIRC.Having said that, I usually enjoy his occasional appearances on the box.

I don't think for a moment, (as I've said before), that there will be a second referendum.I do think, however, that the Brexit shambles will play into Labour's hands at the next GE,whenever that is.

We had one back in 2016.

We had one back in 2016.

Obviously I meant a second referendum now.:raspberry:

I remember that first referendum well back in 1975, as I voted in it (And attended plenty of meetings led by people like Enoch Powell,Tony Benn,Harold Wilson,Michael Foot etc in Birmingham and London).

Incidentally,the 1975 referendum was a non -binding one,which the second one should have been too,IMO.

Adviser to Major and Hague (that went well), Cameron's biographer. And a member of the SDP back in the day too!

I enjoy reading his stuff and we also both used to frequent the same greasy spoon near Harrow so he must be a man of impeccable culinary tastes.

Yeah,I'd already corrected my post before you replied.(As I said) he's a knowledgeable TV performer.

Obviously I meant a second referendum now.:raspberry:

I remember that first referendum well back in 1975, as I voted in it (And attended plenty of meetings led by people like Enoch Powell,Tony Benn,Harold Wilson,Michael Foot etc in Birmingham and London).

Incidentally,the 1975 referendum was a non -binding one,which the second one should have been too,IMO.

Did you vote in that time or was more Tony Benn back then.

By the way Enoch Powell is only remembered for the false interpretation of his "rivers of blood" speech. He had a very successful life before that including being one of only two men to rise from Private to Brigadier during WW2.

Did you vote in that time or was more Tony Benn back then.

By the way Enoch Powell is only remembered for the false interpretation of his "rivers of blood" speech. He had a very successful life before that including being one of only two men to rise from Private to Brigadier during WW2.

Yeah,I've made it quite clear on SZ before, that I voted to come out of the EEC, (as it was then), back it 75.As the kids say: "I've been on a journey since then." Quite literally in my case.:winking:

Incidentally, I misspoke myself when I said that I'd seen Harold Wilson during the 1975 referendum campaign.In fact, it was in 1974 during the Feb.G/E election campaign.Wisely, Wislon, (as Private Eye readers fondly recall him), chose not to take sides in the 1975 referendum campaign.Cameron might have benefitted from a similar display of statesmanship in 2016.

As far as Enoch Powell is concerned, there's no doubt he was a brillant orator but a deeply flawed politician.I can't think of any better illustration of his own dictum that "all political lives end in failure".Rightly so in his case.I happen to remember the "rivers of blood" speech very well.There's no question whatsoever there has been no "false interpretation" of it.It was openly racist,which is precisely why Heath sacked him at the time.

Last edited:
2017: Theresa May promises to cap energy prices
Later in 2017: Theresa May delays introducing a cap
2018: British Gas announce 5.5% price hike

Sorry ***, as much as I respect you and your political commitment that 'promise one thing, do another' jibe is no more than political parties of all colours have been doing for decades. As much as it may be true it's a very weak argument and the term 'those in glass houses' springs to mind.

I don't have the political commitment of many on here any more but as this thread is about Theresa May I think these three facts are worth posting. The fact that *** beat me to it just proves he's quicker than me. I know all political leaders say one thing then do another but that is of no comfort to British Gas customers today:

2017: Theresa May promises to cap energy prices
Later in 2017: Theresa May delays introducing a cap
2018: British Gas announce 5.5% price hike

Sorry ***, as much as I respect you and your political commitment that 'promise one thing, do another' jibe is no more than political parties of all colours have been doing for decades. As much as it may be true it's a very weak argument and the term 'those in glass houses' springs to mind.

Have to agree with BB here. The only time you know a politician isn't lying is when their mouth is closed. I remember Blair promising Rail Nationalisation back in 1997 and Clegg promising not to up the student fees in 2010.

Back