• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Although I disagreed with his political views especially regarding the EU he was a very good local MP and a good friend to Southend United and the town in general. RIP Teddy.

Really? No way! How did you hunt down that nugget of information?

Just another excuse to celebrate the death of a tory grandee. Nothing like a bit of trolling is there?

In the meantime, having met Teddy Taylor, I would like to say its a shame. He was a very decent man and deserves a damn sight more respect than a trolling commie tax dodger in Spain.

An excellent constituency MP and a firm friend of Southend United. He was Honorary President of the Shrimpers Trust for many years up to when we changed the structure a few years ago. He remained heartily supportive, was always the first person to return his tickets for the Christmas raffle and usually came along to our AGMs where he chatted happily with other supporters. A sad loss to our town, condolences to his widow, Sheila and their family. RIP Sir Teddy :sad:

I had the privilege to know him and sadly he was very unwell leading up to his passing.
RIP Mr Taylor

He stood up for SUFC when very few people did, back in the dark days of Jobson and the battles with Southend Council, he always fought the club's corner and was a genuine fan.

As a left-wing Europhile who disagreed with an awful lot of what he stood for politically, regardless I have great respect for him for standing up for the club I love. RIP Sir Teddy.

He was also a Tory and from Glasgow.

He was a good bloke.

Very switched on to support local issues and a big Blues supporter.

If you want to slag off local politicians you need to look no further than Amess.

Absolutely no comparison whatsoever between the two.

I had a lot to do with Sir Teddy when I worked in housing in Southend in the 90s and early 2000s. I was one of the main links in answering his enquiries on behalf of constituents who had housing problems, and for many years, he tended to pick up the phone and ring me direct before getting in touch with the director of housing as he knew he would get straight answer and could then ask informed questions. He was fiercely committed to his constituents and very hard working, but also very fair and understanding of the constraints and limitations we were under. I always found him, his wife and his researchers were absolutely decent and honourable in their dealings with us.

I did not agree with his political views or some of his beliefs. But that does not stop me adding my voice to the general consensus that he was a very decent man and will be missed.

Re his Blues connection. I remember bumping into him at Membury services on the way back from one of the Cardiff finals. I think it was the year it was all decked out for Southend United. We stopped and had a chat about the game. He was a passionate supporter.... RIP, Sir Teddy.

I doubt there will ever be a more 'committed to his constituents' MP than Teddy ever again in this town. A man who was wise enough and intelligent enough to see the evil aims of the EU from way way back in time. A hero of mine and a Shrimper! You were a proper man Teddy. My condolences to the family.

A fine constituency MP. Took Southend as a town and the football club to his heart. He would always have time for a chat in Waitrose.Will miss the odd jousting session whenever we bumped into each other.R.I.P Sir Teddy.

Possibly the most honest MP ever. Some say to honest for his own good as his views ruled him out of a top government job, as when asked about something he would give an honest opinion, unlike most politicians who only answer when it won't damage them or their party. And yes, those opinions meant he backed some bad campaigns. He also never got tainted with the MP expense scandal. I went to him once to help me with a housing problem. He listened very carefully, agreed with me and tried his very best to help, but couldn't due to council rules. He was a top man.

I saw him walking off a cricket field at Priory Park years ago after batting in a charity match. Someone called out ' A merry knock Mr Taylor'

'Aye, he replied, not bad for a Scotsman'

He had scored 5 runs :smile:

Just another excuse to celebrate the death of a tory grandee. Nothing like a bit of trolling is there?

In the meantime, having met Teddy Taylor, I would like to say its a shame. He was a very decent man and deserves a damn sight more respect than a trolling commie tax dodger in Spain.

Actually, I'm neither a (current) member of the CPGB nor a tax doger.

Back