• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Uber

MK Shrimper

Striker
This one will make OBL happy - they've lost their licence to operate in London. 21 days to appeal.

Uber: "This ban would show the world that, far from being open, London is closed to innovative companies who bring choice to consumers.”

Wes Streeting MP: "It means London is closed to companies that flout the rules and don't handle complaints about rape and sexual assault seriously."

Me: "I'm getting a bit sick of Uber drivers failing to find my road and instead driving to the end of the close that backs on to my close."

Meh. They'll appeal and sort themselves out in the process. Probably the right decision in the short term if it is indeed intended as a warning for Uber to improve itself, but I can't see this sitting well with the majority of people in London who've embraced Uber. I've grown quite accustomed to paying an entirely reasonable £12-16 to get home from central, and I'm loathe to handing a black cab driver ~£40 to make the same journey while espousing some racist ***** while doing so.

I'm loathe to handing a black cab driver ~£40 to make the same journey while espousing some racist ***** while doing so.

I get the racist stuff at the end of my journeys now. Got an Uber to darts on Monday and the driver said that he knew some of the guys who drank there and to say hello to them from Jimmy when I arrived.

I did, and the reply I got - "Jimmy? taxi driver? **** bloke? Yeah, I know him" :facepalm:

Terrible decision. Back to using rip-off cab drivers again. Bad decision from Khan to throw his weight behind this decision, I think he will regret it.

Meh. They'll appeal and sort themselves out in the process. Probably the right decision in the short term if it is indeed intended as a warning for Uber to improve itself, but I can't see this sitting well with the majority of people in London who've embraced Uber. I've grown quite accustomed to paying an entirely reasonable £12-16 to get home from central, and I'm loathe to handing a black cab driver ~£40 to make the same journey while espousing some racist ***** while doing so.

Always the dramatic as usual,get a grip sonny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course I'm delighted. Properly regulated drivers who've had to do years of training for their jobs currently have some job security returned to them. I am so fed up of seeing people moaning about the cost of licensed cabs - it's not the cabbies, or even the companies that set the fare tariff - it's the bloody councils, and in this case, TfL....how could they possibly justify allowing another company to undercut the people they licence to work? And don't even get me started on the tax dodging of the parent company as a whole, or the whole seedy side to some of the people who as Uber drivers, or the failing to report serious incidents.

As a Southend taxi driver let's see if I can add anything different on here.
First off the local council sets the rates for taxi fares and every borough is different. Take Southend and Rochford, Rochford prices goes to double price at 21:00 on New Year's Eve while Southend prices goes double at midnight.
Every taxi driver in Southend has to do the knowledge test which involves every road in the borough ( Shoebury to Leigh inc Eastwood. Also every main building and establishment in the borough and 40 odd routes. Every driver need business insurance for their cab, a medical every 3 years and an enhanced CRB every 3 years. UBER drivers just need a car and a sat nat.
Finally we are not allowed to do cross border pickups, e.g. Can't drop off in London then sit on London waiting for a walk up customer. However UBER who are on TFL plates can pick up and drop off where ever they like.

Of course I'm delighted. Properly regulated drivers who've had to do years of training for their jobs currently have some job security returned to them. I am so fed up of seeing people moaning about the cost of licensed cabs - it's not the cabbies, or even the companies that set the fare tariff - it's the bloody councils, and in this case, TfL....how could they possibly justify allowing another company to undercut the people they licence to work? And don't even get me started on the tax dodging of the parent company as a whole, or the whole seedy side to some of the people who as Uber drivers, or the failing to report serious incidents.
Quick question your hubby is under Castle Point? If so who's idea was it to stop the knowledge test for that borough?

Quick question your hubby is under Castle Point? If so who's idea was it to stop the knowledge test for that borough?

They haven't stopped it for the properly licensed hackney carriage drivers, such as hubby, only the private hire - and it's causing massive differences between drivers.

Castle Point Council remains as it always has, open to a bit of "influence"....

Listen, I have hubby's family and friends, which has had black cab drivers going back decades in it to consider, let alone the local stuff. I feel sorry for the genuine drivers amongst the Uber lot, but please, go back and register under your local authority!

I'm registered by Southend borough council. Done my knowledge 7 years ago.

About bloody time. They are a pain in the arse on the roads of London, don't have a clue where they are going without a satnav and even then balls it up. Around 17000 vehicles off the road at any one time, whats not to like.

Because I'm sure all black cabbies declare all of their cash fares!

Hopefully uber can sort their stuff out because as a service it's great.

Because I'm sure all black cabbies declare all of their cash fares!

Hopefully uber can sort their stuff out because as a service it's great.

You're talking about self employed individuals, I'm talking about a company - massive difference. The fact their licence has been rescinded in other cities tells you there's something wrong at the heart of the company and the way they treat their drivers is appalling.

Uber provide a better product, service and more convenience than cabbies, even if we ignore price.

1. You don't need to phone someone to book
2. You can see how long a taxi will take before you book it
3. You can see how long it will take after you book it
4. You can see the route you took and whether it was a good one
5. Don't need cash to pay - or in fact your wallet
6. Refunds if disputes arise on route/driver behaviour etc.

Cab companies/drivers must adapt or will struggle. How many other occupations are protected and revered in the same way as cabbies once technology makes the previously required skills redundant?

Back