• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Tomorrow's referee is the rapidly balding Graham Horwood from Luton, in his 9th year as a League referee and refereeing his 13th Southend game.

His eight and a bit years of League service are either side of a two year gap when he was demoted for performance reasons. Even now some years after his return, for me, he falls in to the "lucky to still be there" category.

His last Southend match was also Adam Barrett's last match, the 4-0 Checkatrade debacle at Stevenage last season. A caution apiece, ours went to Thompson. Before that was a bit of a cardfest in the 2-1 home win over Oxford earlier last season. Nine cautions (Oxley, Inniss, Wordsworth, Mooney and O'Neil plus four of theirs)

His previous visit to Southend was for the 2015/16 victory over Blackpool where despite just one yellow card (to the visitors) he was unconvincing.

In the 2014/15 season there were three matches. Firstly, his visit to Roots Hall to preside over the start and end of our Cup run. That shocking Chester match saw a hefty number of yellows, 4 a piece. Ours went to Binnom-Williams, Sokolik, White and Timlin. Towards the end of that season he refereed our 1-0 home win over Tranmere, on their way out of the League. Yellow for Bolger and 3 of theirs. In between those matches he was in charge of our game at Wycombe, where we were very much second best. The sending off of Binnom-Williams was probably correct. Yellows went to O'Toole and Deegan and a couple of theirs.

His only other Southend match since his re-instatement was the pre-Christmas, Friday night game 2013/14 against Rochdale which finished 1-1. It was 1-1 on yellow cards too - Leonard got ours and ex-blue Lund, theirs. He did okay.

During his period of de-selection he appeared in Southend matches on a couple of occasions as an Assistant. Before that, his previous four visits to Roots Hall as a referee weren't too bad. The most recent was the final home game of 2008/9 against Cheltenham. The other three were Hereford in the same season and Rochdale in the cup and Bournemouth in the League the year before that. So, Chester apart, we have a very decent home record with this official. The only match of these with a significant number of cards was the Rochdale Cup game where they had 4 yellows to our one (Gower). Le Fondre scored for them; Bailey and Harrold for us.

Since those he refereed the 1-0 defeat at Aldershot 2010/11 when we shaded the yellows 3-2 (Prosser, Grant and the easily forgotton Craig Easton).

A referee who will never rise above the level of those making up the numbers, last season saw an above average 113 yellows and 6 reds from 31 matches. This season, 7 matches with 22 yellows and no reds.

Don't expect too much and you might not be disappointed.

Assistants will be Rob Smith from Letchworth Garden City and newly promoted Callum Walchester from Lowestoft. The latter performed a similar role in Forest Green Rovers' play-off win at Wembley last season. Marc Wilson from Cambridge will be doing the 4th official stuff.

Can one of our resident referees please explain the decision regarding Demi's booking?

Can one of our resident referees please explain the decision regarding Demi's booking?

The same reason that guy got sent off for Northampton, Demi stood in front of the ball when the keeper kicked it and it hit him. It wasn't particularly obvious since it only caused a slight deflection but there was a clear sound when it hit Demitriou which gave it away.

The same reason that guy got sent off for Northampton, Demi stood in front of the ball when the keeper kicked it and it hit him. It wasn't particularly obvious since it only caused a slight deflection but there was a clear sound when it hit Demitriou which gave it away.

But it it wasn't a goal kick or a free kick. The ball was in play, I have seen goals given in situations like thiswhere the player has challenged the keeper and then scored.

The guy against Northampton was booked for trying to stop us taking a free kick, all Demi did was challenge for the ball.

But it it wasn't a goal kick or a free kick. The ball was in play, I have seen goals given in situations like thiswhere the player has challenged the keeper and then scored.

The guy against Northampton was booked for trying to stop us taking a free kick, all Demi did was challenge for the ball.

The keeper had it in his hands didn't he? The same rule applies if so.

The keeper had it in his hands didn't he? The same rule applies if so.
I could understand that rule if Demi was right underneath the keeper but he was a good few yards away. The keeper just didn't kick it very well in my opinion, but I will take your word for it.

Demi jumped in front of him. It's a yellow as it's stopping a breakaway. How their guy wasn't booked for his foul on Theo on halfway when we had 2 or 3 sprinting through for a pass I'll never know though

Demi jumped in front of him. It's a yellow as it's stopping a breakaway. How their guy wasn't booked for his foul on Theo on halfway when we had 2 or 3 sprinting through for a pass I'll never know though
Same applies to John White who did almost an exact reenactment about 30 seconds later.

I thought the referee was the worst I've seen this season. Blatant yellows not given.. looked a nailed on penalty but he was too old and lazy to keep up with play. Made no effort to speed up blatant first half slow play by them but then waved Oxley to take a goal kick in 3 seconds in injury time. One foul not given in the second half where I think it was Barcham blatantly pushed one of ours in the back was staggering - especially as in front of the assistant.

As bad as Mick suggested; if not worse.

As the defending team are we not trying to stop a breakaway. We aren't going to let the player take the ball down further down the pitch without challenge.

Far too much protection for the goalkeepers if that's the case.

Also why didn't the ref have a word with Ranger or Cox who on a couple of occasions did also stand in the keepers way, or is it only if the ball actually hits the defending player?

I thought the referee was the worst I've seen this season. Blatant yellows not given.. looked a nailed on penalty but he was too old and lazy to keep up with play. Made no effort to speed up blatant first half slow play by them but then waved Oxley to take a goal kick in 3 seconds in injury time. One foul not given in the second half where I think it was Barcham blatantly pushed one of ours in the back was staggering - especially as in front of the assistant.

As bad as Mick suggested; if not worse.

I personally don't think the ref had a good game, and in that respect I agree with you, but don't think the examples you've given are very good!

From the West stand I don't think it was a penalty. It seemed that their player got to the ball before McGlashan, and McGlashan fell over his leg.

I was amazed when no time at all was added on in the first half. However, I think he had a go at Oxley because he kicked the ball further away rather than pick it up and get on with the game.

You may well be right with that, but to me it seemed Demi was trying to get out of the way of the kick, rather than impeded the 'keeper. I also think the ref had his back to the incident, which (if true) means he gave the yellow based on what his assistant said.

What annoyed me, and this happens so often, is that their first bad fouls, the ref calls their captain over to give them a warning - yet we don't get the same treatment, our first foul results in a yellow.

It's a if the warning to the opposition counts towards us as well.

I'm also baffled how their keeper doesn't get booked for timewasting - glad he ended up on the losing side.

Very poor display from the ref. Started ok, but had a period after half time where he totally lost control control of the game and made a number of bizarre decisions both ways.

Nailed on penalty though. Similar to the Millwall one last year. He also went to give it, obviously got nothing from the assistant so changed his mind.

How their bloke who tried to wipe Woody out in front of the dug outs never got booked was beyond me!

Back