• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I just posted this on the 'Injured Players Returning' thread which made me wonder if this could possibly be asked as may be (though hopefully not) applicable to Turner though it could happen to any player who (god forbid) suffers a career threatening injury:

"You would like to think that we take out insurance coverage in the event that a player is repeatedly or injured and that he can be paid up and retire and we can stop paying wages.

Could that be a question for the Supporters Meeting? "

its probably been asked before - but could they put a vending machine (drinks) into the south upper?

I just posted this on the 'Injured Players Returning' thread which made me wonder if this could possibly be asked as may be (though hopefully not) applicable to Turner though it could happen to any player who (god forbid) suffers a career threatening injury:

"You would like to think that we take out insurance coverage in the event that a player is repeatedly or injured and that he can be paid up and retire and we can stop paying wages.

Insurance companies are not charities. The premium in the case of players like Turner would be astronomical.

Insurance companies are not charities. The premium in the case of players like Turner would be astronomical.

Indeed, I work for one.

Prudent risk management of a business should also be a requirement of running a football team - and mitigating factors such as high insurance premiums should be taken in to account when signing a player.

Indeed, I work for one.

Prudent risk management of a business should also be a requirement of running a football team - and mitigating factors such as high insurance premiums should be taken in to account when signing a player.

I'm not sure what you're saying or even what your question was for the meeting, it seemed more like a statement to me.

Are you saying we should only sign players who can be insured at affordable rates? In the case of players with questionable fitness records, far better than lining insurance companies pockets is to structure the player's contract such that remuneration is heavily weighted to games actually played. Of course you might lose some players unwilling to go down that route but I guess that's prudent risk management.

I'm not sure what you're saying or even what your question was for the meeting, it seemed more like a statement to me.

Are you saying we should only sign players who can be insured at affordable rates? In the case of players with questionable fitness records, far better than lining insurance companies pockets is to structure the player's contract such that remuneration is heavily weighted to games actually played. Of course you might lose some players unwilling to go down that route but I guess that's prudent risk management.

Sorry that I wasn't very clear.

Totally agree with your second paragraph and the rumours that I heard are that this was a reason why we lost Corr.

I wonder if we do either though?

I believe that the FA have an insurance policy in place for when players get injured on international duty and there are many other insurance providers out there for this coverage so my question would be do we have insurance policies in place to cover contractual wages due in the event of long term injuries and/or the forced retirement due to injury of any players?

This wouldn't just be for the likes of new signings where Turner springs to mind as per the other thread which prompted my thoughts, but also for situations like Coker which obviously no one could have predicted.

its probably been asked before - but could they put a vending machine (drinks) into the south upper?

I don't know about a machine but there were going to look into mobile vending for the South upper - definitely worth a chase.

Sorry that I wasn't very clear.

Totally agree with your second paragraph and the rumours that I heard are that this was a reason why we lost Corr.

I wonder if we do either though?

I believe that the FA have an insurance policy in place for when players get injured on international duty and there are many other insurance providers out there for this coverage so my question would be do we have insurance policies in place to cover contractual wages due in the event of long term injuries and/or the forced retirement due to injury of any players?

This wouldn't just be for the likes of new signings where Turner springs to mind as per the other thread which prompted my thoughts, but also for situations like Coker which obviously no one could have predicted.

I guess it depends on whether such insurance is cost effective. Players getting injured is very much an operational risk for a football club. Insurers will have a good statistical base to set their pricing and as a niche market limited competition to drive down rates.

The risk of injury to Coker himself may not have been predictable, but not so unlikely to happen to one of the players in our squad, and certainly easier to model over a 3 or 5 year return period.

If the probability of injury, and the associated costs, can be accurately modelled self insurance may therefore be more cost effective.

The FA's policy is of course slightly different as that is protecting them against their liability arising from injury to a third party's employee.

I don't recall this being brought up before so I will therefore raise the matter at this meeting.

In addition I will also be addressing once again the Chaos and potential 'accident waiting to happen' at the car park exit by the club shop post match.

I don't recall this being brought up before so I will therefore raise the matter at this meeting.

In addition I will also be addressing once again the Chaos and potential 'accident waiting to happen' at the car park exit by the club shop post match.
It's quite simple, no vehicles are allowed to access the ground for 15 mins after the final whistle and you have two lanes exiting - one going up Vic Ave, and one going down!

Whilst I love 'my club' and have fond memories of many occasions in countless years following SUFC at Roots Hall. I am nevertheless sorry to say I am ashamed of her, or at least he condition that she is now in. I have said in previous meetings (attended by club representatives) that from my experience in visiting all the other grounds in our league, Roots Hall has the least to offer and much to be desired.

I am delighted that following on from our meetings last season, long overdue improvements have been made to toilets etc. However I will no longer accept "We are moving to a brand new stadium" as an excuse for not getting things done at Roots Hall. Until all plans are fully approved and work is started at Fossetts Park (lets stop calling it 'farm') I will continue to make a nuisance of myself by demanding at minimum health and safety matters are addressed.

Please therefore continue to advise us and draw attention to matters that you think are of importance to address.

It's quite simple, no vehicles are allowed to access the ground for 15 mins after the final whistle and you have two lanes exiting - one going up Vic Ave, and one going down!

Simple in theory, unfortunately that does not happen. Many vehicles still continue to enter the car park from the final whistle onward.
At our last meeting I put this to our Police Football Intelligence Officer who kindly attends our meetings. He pointed out that a further problem would be caused by vehicles prevented from entering as they would queue up to get in, thus causing a jam on Victoria Ave. I therefore made one or two suggestions to the club representative who agreed to look further into the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst I love 'my club' and have fond memories of many occasions in countless years following SUFC at Roots Hall. I am nevertheless sorry to say I am ashamed of her, or at least he condition that she is now in. I have said in previous meetings (attended by club representatives) that from my experience in visiting all the other grounds in our league, Roots Hall has the least to offer and much to be desired.

I am delighted that following on from our meetings last season, long overdue improvements have been made to toilets etc. However I will no longer accept "We are moving to a brand new stadium" as an excuse for not getting things done at Roots Hall. Until all plans are fully approved and work is started at Fossetts Park (lets stop calling it 'farm') I will continue to make a nuisance of myself by demanding at minimum health and safety matters are addressed.

Please therefore continue to advise us and draw attention to matters that you think are of importance to address.

Spot on with every word......

Simple in theory, unfortunately that does not happen. Many vehicles still continue to enter the car park from the final whistle onward.
At our last meeting I put this to our Police Football Intelligence Officer who kindly attends our meetings. He pointed out that a further problem would be caused by vehicles prevented from entering as they would queue up to get in, thus causing a jam on Victoria Ave. I therefore made one or two suggestions to the club representative who agreed to look further into the problem.

There are two entrances/exits used onto Vic Avenue, simply make the bottom one an entrance and the top one the exit for that time frame. 15 minutes is plenty of time to say that vehicles may not enter anyway in my opinion. I have to say that I thought things had vastly improved this season with the gates behind the North Bank now accessible and exit onto Fairfax Drive therefore being available.

There are two entrances/exits used onto Vic Avenue, simply make the bottom one an entrance and the top one the exit for that time frame. 15 minutes is plenty of time to say that vehicles may not enter anyway in my opinion. I have to say that I thought things had vastly improved this season with the gates behind the North Bank now accessible and exit onto Fairfax Drive therefore being available.

Bottom one a entrance and bring the traffic lights into chaos simple.

How many people trying to get into the stadium area at 5 pm ( and why?)? How many trying to get out?

"There are two entrances/exits used onto Vic Avenue, simply make the bottom one an entrance and the top one the exit for that time frame. 15 minutes is plenty of time to say that vehicles may not enter anyway in my opinion."

In that case, exit only for that brief time.

Back