• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The pitch has greatly improved since the Blackburn game. Looked much better on Tuesday. Still a couple of big divots but far fewer than before and players don't slip on their standing foot.

WE have been saved a bit by the weather- grass still growing into November. So its recovered pretty much- not our usual very high standard but at least in sight of average.

So after the pretty awful weather we have had, how do we think the pitch will hold up on Saturday?

From what I've seen so far, it cuts up terribly even when it's dry - god knows what it will do when the pitch is wet.

Just hoping that no player from either side gets injured as a result of the pitch.

So after the pretty awful weather we have had, how do we think the pitch will hold up on Saturday?

From what I've seen so far, it cuts up terribly even when it's dry - god knows what it will do when the pitch is wet.

Just hoping that no player from either side gets injured as a result of the pitch.

We've had a lot of rain and frosty mornings. I don't think heaters or a cover would help, the pitch will be soft enough as it is.

I would expect it to cut up quite a lot.

Was chatting with a fellow 'zoner yesterday and we both came to the same conclusion.

Wouldn't it be great if all the billions of wasted money in football was fed into providing every club with Desso GrassMaster Hybrid pitches.

That way, they could be utilized a lot more for other matches for ours or any other club.

We were chatting about the viability of playing, say, Under 23 matches at the ground around lunchtime of a home matchday, so you could arrive around 12noon and watch the Under 23's play, say, West Ham Under 23's or similar.

It would help improve the quality of football played, give the players a chance to play in front of a decent crowd and help develop the larger clubs experience, as well, by having more matches for their younger players.

We would make more money as a club for drink and food sales, for example and more people would be able to use the facilities during the week, like local schools and clubs.

It would just help the development of football throughout the country and seems a small price to pay.

Last edited:
Was chatting with a fellow 'zoner yesterday and we both came to the same conclusion.

Wouldn't it be great if all the billions of wasted money in football was fed into providing every club with Desso GrassMaster Hybrid pitches.

That way, they could be utilized a lot more for other matches for ours or any other club.

We were chatting about the viability of playing, say, Under 23 matches at the ground around lunchtime of a home matchday, so you could arrive around 12noon and watch the Under 23's play, say, West Ham Under 23's or similar.

It would help improve the quality of football played, give the players a chance to play in front of a decent crowd and help develop the larger clubs experience, as well, by having more matches for their younger players.

We would make more money as a club for drink and food sales, for example and more people would be able to use the facilities during the week, like local schools and clubs.

It would just help the development of football throughout the country and seems a small price to pay.

The cost of one such pitch being exactly the same as the bonus the FA paid to Gareth Southgate for getting England through a qualifying group made up largely of postmen, binmen and other assorted part-timers.

(Note: they are not like 3G pitches with virtually unlimited capacity; they probably treble the number of games relative to a normal grass pitch - not that there's anything normal about ours!)

Spot on 'Mick'.

There seem to be four levels that Desso do, but the level three one appears to be the one most of the Premier League clubs and Barcelona use.

I've seen the pitch close up, at The Emirates and it looks like a grass pitch, but is just so much more durable.

Good thinking. Maybe any supporter that arrived early to see the U-23 game could pay £2, no concession, in order to contribute to the necessary stewards etc that would be required at a game in a stadium. Also, the idea of extra refreshments income is fine, but hopefully the bars will not be open. I know a number of fans have the pre-match pub ritual but I fear for the outcome of encouraging copious quantities of alcohol to be consumed at the ground. It may start to take on a culture of its own and be a negative.

I think the matchday experience needs to be upgraded. If anyone considers The Bluebells, as an attraction or entertainment, then I hope they get a life for Christmas. There must be a plethora of local singers/groups, marching bands and choirs that the club can showcase and cost nothing. Whilst mentioning choirs, we should have a supporters one. It would help TBV to be the 12th man. I think too, the club, should run a competition for a new club song. Something all supporters can sing throughout the game from all quarters of the ground. It all adds to the atmosphere and experience.

Good thinking. Maybe any supporter that arrived early to see the U-23 game could pay £2, no concession, in order to contribute to the necessary stewards etc that would be required at a game in a stadium. Also, the idea of extra refreshments income is fine, but hopefully the bars will not be open. I know a number of fans have the pre-match pub ritual but I fear for the outcome of encouraging copious quantities of alcohol to be consumed at the ground. It may start to take on a culture of its own and be a negative.

I think the matchday experience needs to be upgraded. If anyone considers The Bluebells, as an attraction or entertainment, then I hope they get a life for Christmas. There must be a plethora of local singers/groups, marching bands and choirs that the club can showcase and cost nothing. Whilst mentioning choirs, we should have a supporters one. It would help TBV to be the 12th man. I think too, the club, should run a competition for a new club song. Something all supporters can sing throughout the game from all quarters of the ground. It all adds to the atmosphere and experience.

A lot of us find it has greatly enhanced and over many years dare I say even make the experience bearable.

A lot of us find it has greatly enhanced and over many years dare I say even make the experience bearable.

I don't disagree with you but it's nice to promote moderation and hopefully sensible imbibing lends itself better to the tag of 'family club.' The vast majority are responsible and, seemingly from your comment, it can numb the pain. However, sadly, we will get the minority that cause disruption due to excess. I don't think their subsequent actions will be considered a welcome part of the matchday entertainment. Mind you, a few of the players might perform better with a few vodka and red bulls inside them!

Still churning up badly, on the corner of the west (family) and the South stand. (The South stand to East stand corner, didn't look much better either).

But on the whole, it looked better than it did in late October.

I can't see much improvement though from now on until late February. Especially considering we have to play on it twice in the space of 4 days, in just over a weeks time.

Back