• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Convinced the pitch is having an impact in terms of injuries this season. It is also not helpful to players like Wordsworth and Robinson who like to run with the ball or onto balls in the channels. So many times on Saturday the ball held up or bobbled. Dread to think how bad it will be in January when there is no growth and days of heavy rain.

I blame the morbidly obese man who comes on at half time with a pitch fork and hacks away at it. Even the teenage kids that come on with him have better gardening skills!

It's in for some intensive treatment of some kind on Wednesday. It's not being helped by birds pooing seeds of an invasive grass type!

I blame the morbidly obese man who comes on at half time with a pitch fork and hacks away at it. Even the teenage kids that come on with him have better gardening skills!

We were watching the pitchforkers after the game.

To say they were half-hearted was an understatement!

The emergency pitch response team, armed with forks are doing a fantastic job. The way certain team members use the back of the fork in an unusual manner is a sight as is their wardrobe God's sake, give them something smart to wear. Can't wait to see their formation forking about at Fossets (whatever the new name is now, Farm, Park) is delivered to us.
Wonder if we'll have as much sand on the pitch than Boston did?

Every week he does nothing to help,just walks around waving his fork in places that don't need doing and walks past any divots,probably can't be arsed to do a bit of work!

I have been a supporter since the early sixties and now live up in Yorkshire. I don't get to home games so don't really know whether our pitch is generally poor for this division or whether it has gone downhill since the groundsman sacking fiasco. A couple of miles from my house are the world headquarters of STRI Group (Sports Turf Research Institute) and they are involved with Wimbledon,the Olympics etc. Would it be worthwhile passing this company onto Ron Martin for consideration - I know that there are people on this website that have this access. We seem to have a pretty creative team at the moment but comments on the games suggest we are playing too much hoofball because of the pitch.

Tony Allen

Tony, you can't be far from me in Otley.

It's in for some intensive treatment of some kind on Wednesday. It's not being helped by birds pooing seeds of an invasive grass type!

It'll be interesting to see what they can do in one day to make a layer of turf lying on a layer of sand bind together.

The emergency pitch response team, armed with forks are doing a fantastic job. The way certain team members use the back of the fork in an unusual manner is a sight as is their wardrobe God's sake, give them something smart to wear. Can't wait to see their formation forking about at Fossets (whatever the new name is now, Farm, Park) is delivered to us.
Wonder if we'll have as much sand on the pitch as Boston did?

We have already; it's just under the grass.

Every week he does nothing to help,just walks around waving his fork in places that don't need doing and walks past any divots,probably can't be arsed to do a bit of work!

To be fair it is stuff like this that I enjoy about being a Southend fan. It really is laughable some of the decisions that are made by our club. We sign players that clearly are geared towards a passing game and then end up with a pitch which makes that style impossible to play. On Saturday I was calling for Ranger to come on much earlier coz it was clear hoofball was our only option with the way the game was going.

We were watching the pitchforkers after the game.

To say they were half-hearted was an understatement!

There is one fork guy who has been doing it for years and just sticks the fork in randomly and half heartedly. Not sure the PC way to say it but he looks a bit simple and given that when you watch him he is obviously clueless, I'd say it is a care in community job. Still he's not doing any harm, fair play to the club if this is the case.

If it isn't then I've probably really insulted someone :hilarious:

There is one fork guy who has been doing it for years and just sticks the fork in randomly and half heartedly. Not sure the PC way to say it but he looks a bit simple and given that when you watch him he is obviously clueless, I'd say it is a care in community job. Still he's not doing any harm, fair play to the club if this is the case.

I'm the mystery pitch fork guy. If I stick the fork in too hard, a whopping great divot will fly out. No pleasing some of you zoners.

Last edited:

That's the fella. Seemed to be wearing a kind of light blue jumper. Slightly rotund lad.

It’s that fat guy we talking about, hobbled about and half hearted tapping his fork at the turf like he can’t be arsed! He was here for something like 12 years I suppose!

Back