• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

In 1965/6 we beat York 3-0 on this day. Much more interesting.

Yep, it was Ray White's debut. A clean sheet away from home and no hint of what was to follow.

Smillie, Slater and Slack got the goals. Smith might have joined all the "S"s on the scoresheet if he hadn't been injured and substituted by Chris Barnard.

It was the first season of substitutes and Chris Barnard was our 2nd, 3rd and 4th substitution. Only one substitute and the departing player had to be injured. We only made 12 substitutions in 52 matches. I knew the idea would never catch on.
This match was to be our only away success of that season which then led to our first ever relegation in 1965-66. Our record for that season was as follows:- Home: Won 15, Drew 1, Lost 7. scored 43, against 28. Away: Won 1, Drew 3, Lost 19. scored 11, against 55. We also won 2 F.A.Cup matches at home Notts County(3-1) & Watford(2-1) before losing 3-2 at Rotherham United. In the League Cup we drew 2-2 at Newport County, winning the replay 3-1 before losing 5-1 at Reading. In the away league matches we only scored in 8 games, Oxford United(2), York City(3), Brighton(1), Watford(1), Exeter(1), Workington(1), Bristol Rovers(1), Q.P.R.(1). After our relegation from Division 3, it took us 6 season's to return.

And here's part of today's effort:

"1979
Southend 0-1 Colchester
A first half goal was all that was needed to see off Alvin Martin’s side.
Colchester scored the only goal in the 27th minute when Eddie Rowles burst through the midfield and into John Keeley’s box leaving the forward in a one on one situation.
Keeley took the shot coolly and placed the ball on the bottom right corner.
Blues came close to equalising in the second half when Garry Nelson headed the ball towards goal but Mike Walker pulled off an exceptional save to deny Nelson."

I know Keeley wasn't much good, but he was better at his job than whoever compiles this trash.

And here's part of today's effort:

"1979
Southend 0-1 Colchester
A first half goal was all that was needed to see off Alvin Martin’s side.
Colchester scored the only goal in the 27th minute when Eddie Rowles burst through the midfield and into John Keeley’s box leaving the forward in a one on one situation.
Keeley took the shot coolly and placed the ball on the bottom right corner.
Blues came close to equalising in the second half when Garry Nelson headed the ball towards goal but Mike Walker pulled off an exceptional save to deny Nelson."

I know Keeley wasn't much good, but he was better at his job than whoever compiles this trash.

And while Alvin Martin's tenure felt like an eternity I don't think it actually lasted 20 years...

I think you find those brown folks found it many hundreds of years before whitey sailed a ship there.

Yes, I know. Polynesians, several hundred rather than many hundreds, and then Tasman. But they weren't British so that doesn't count. Bit like the top tier of English football's history being consigned to the bin with all records now starting with the Premiership.

Yes, I know. Polynesians, several hundred rather than many hundreds, and then Tasman. But they weren't British so that doesn't count. Bit like the top tier of English football's history being consigned to the bin with all records now starting with the Premiership.

Tasman was Dutch. :winking::whistling:

Tasman was Dutch. :winking::whistling:

Does that make my "not British" right or wrong ? :winking::winking:

Do they not reckon there are still remote parts of New Zealand that may still remain 'undiscovered'? Really dense forests etc.

I love a chat about our history more than most, but the shocking SUFC 'On This Day' articles deserve an off-topic thread to be honest.

Uncle Leo...:winking:
Today 1940..Battle of Britain ended
Also 2002,i was soaked...watching England win away v Slovakia:smile:

13th October 1984. Northampton scored to silence the roaring crowd? A bit of artistic licence with that sentence as there was only 1,920 of us there. Roots Hall was a morgue in those dark days. We used to join hands and try to contact the living!

There were times when you couldnt reach them to hold hands....
Harry said he stopped smoking at football because it was too far to walk to ask the bloke next to him for a light

13th October 1984. Northampton scored to silence the roaring crowd? A bit of artistic licence with that sentence as there was only 1,920 of us there. Roots Hall was a morgue in those dark days. We used to join hands and try to contact the living!

A small crowd can roar, y'know.

Back