Likes Likes:  32
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On this day ......

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    'Ancient' is not a word I use, I prefer 'antediluvian'. Oh yes.
    well said!
    "Since I was young "........

If we're going off topic, then:

....... now for something completely different.
    On this day in 1969, Monty Python's Flying Circus was first broadcast.

On this day both Richie Benaud and Tony Greig were born. RIP Gents

Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Yep, amazing night. I was right in front of the sending off, on the halfway line in front of the West Bank.

Time for another airing I think :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK9AQBP0O4I

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't David Crown hit the post late on? That would have made it 4-2 on the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar na bas View Post
    That night against Spurs. Great game to watch, and if only David Crown had buried his chance instead of hitting the post..... One of my favourite matches, up there with the 4-2 comeback against Newport County.... Was hoarse for days...
    FFS, I only I had read on!

Quote Originally Posted by undercovershrimper View Post
    On this day both Richie Benaud and Tony Greig were born. RIP Gents
    ...... and on this day, a little earlier, New Zealand was discovered.

None of which, of course, compares with the official website's chosen event - a dismal 2-0 defeat at Bury in front of 2,647 supporters 33 years ago today. It was one of Peter Ellis's dozen games for the club, half of which I saw and all of which I had completely forgotten.

Also Newman wasn't even in charge for the Huddersfield game.
    It was Steve Wignall!

First XI
    Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Napster View Post
    In 1965/6 we beat York 3-0 on this day. Much more interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Yep, it was Ray White's debut. A clean sheet away from home and no hint of what was to follow.

Smillie, Slater and Slack got the goals. Smith might have joined all the "S"s on the scoresheet if he hadn't been injured and substituted by Chris Barnard.

It was the first season of substitutes and Chris Barnard was our 2nd, 3rd and 4th substitution. Only one substitute and the departing player had to be injured. We only made 12 substitutions in 52 matches. I knew the idea would never catch on.
    This match was to be our only away success of that season which then led to our first ever relegation in 1965-66. Our record for that season was as follows:- Home: Won 15, Drew 1, Lost 7. scored 43, against 28. Away: Won 1, Drew 3, Lost 19. scored 11, against 55. We also won 2 F.A.Cup matches at home Notts County(3-1) & Watford(2-1) before losing 3-2 at Rotherham United. In the League Cup we drew 2-2 at Newport County, winning the replay 3-1 before losing 5-1 at Reading. In the away league matches we only scored in 8 games, Oxford United(2), York City(3), Brighton(1), Watford(1), Exeter(1), Workington(1), Bristol Rovers(1), Q.P.R.(1). After our relegation from Division 3, it took us 6 season's to return.

And here's part of today's effort:

"1979
    Southend 0-1 Colchester
    A first half goal was all that was needed to see off Alvin Martin’s side.
    Colchester scored the only goal in the 27th minute when Eddie Rowles burst through the midfield and into John Keeley’s box leaving the forward in a one on one situation.
    Keeley took the shot coolly and placed the ball on the bottom right corner.
    Blues came close to equalising in the second half when Garry Nelson headed the ball towards goal but Mike Walker pulled off an exceptional save to deny Nelson."

I know Keeley wasn't much good, but he was better at his job than whoever compiles this trash.

This cook is an anti-semite Uncle Leo's Avatar

And here's part of today's effort:

"1979
    Southend 0-1 Colchester
    A first half goal was all that was needed to see off Alvin Martin’s side.
    Colchester scored the only goal in the 27th minute when Eddie Rowles burst through the midfield and into John Keeley’s box leaving the forward in a one on one situation.
    Keeley took the shot coolly and placed the ball on the bottom right corner.
    Blues came close to equalising in the second half when Garry Nelson headed the ball towards goal but Mike Walker pulled off an exceptional save to deny Nelson."

I know Keeley wasn't much good, but he was better at his job than whoever compiles this trash.
    And while Alvin Martin's tenure felt like an eternity I don't think it actually lasted 20 years...

...... and on this day, a little earlier, New Zealand was discovered..
    I think you find those brown folks found it many hundreds of years before whitey sailed a ship there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Prawnby View Post
    Blues 0-1 Oldham 1972.jpgSorry peeps, 1972 On This Day.....
    A week before we signed Alan Moody .

On this day in 1985, we beat Aldershot 3-1 away. Two weeks later we lost 4-2 at home to Col U. We finished 9th that season.
    Who's this Rorschach guy and why is he so good at drawing pictures of my Dad beating me?

Quote Originally Posted by MK Shrimper View Post
    I think you find those brown folks found it many hundreds of years before whitey sailed a ship there.
    Yes, I know. Polynesians, several hundred rather than many hundreds, and then Tasman. But they weren't British so that doesn't count. Bit like the top tier of English football's history being consigned to the bin with all records now starting with the Premiership.

Yes, I know. Polynesians, several hundred rather than many hundreds, and then Tasman. But they weren't British so that doesn't count. Bit like the top tier of English football's history being consigned to the bin with all records now starting with the Premiership.
    Tasman was Dutch.