• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
In regular League games we have a slight edge over Doncaster with 13 wins to their 12 from 30 games. We haven't won there since 1989 though when a Dave Crown penalty was enough to secure the points.

Man in charge is fourth year League referee, Darren Handley from Bolton who made it on to the League list in 2014 after 6 years of Conference officiating. He is 40 and a PE teacher at Tottington High School.

He has refereed Southend four times before. Firstly the 2014/15 home 0-0 draw with Plymouth when there was just one yellow for them. He did okay in that game.

Then he brought the curtain down on his first season with our late, late 1-0 win at Exeter. Just one caution again, this time for Barrett.

Next came the 2015/16 2-2 draw at Coventry when he cautioned White, Atkinson, Hunt and Mooney (the latter two also being our goalscorers) and a couple of home players.

And finally, also in 2015/16 he took charge of our fine 2-0 win at Barnsley who went on to get promoted. A very early goal from Payne and a very late one from Timlin clinched matters. Two yellows apiece, Bentley and Wordsworth for us.

We didn't see him last season although he was in charge of that vital game between Bristol Rovers and Millwall on the last day of the season. I blame the "lino" more than him.

His card showing is the right side of average with 30 yellows and just 1 red to show for his season so far. His games this season have been predominantly League Two and Checkatrade but he did get a few Championship games before the full-time referees took over.

Assisting will be Richard Bartlett, a Civil Engineering Consultant from Sale and Richard Wild from Rochdale, a former employee of both Rochdale FC and Blackpool FC (not as a player). Fourth official will be another League referee Sebastian Stockbridge, previously from Sunderland but now from Gateshead.

From a Donny rag ;

It had looked like being the same old story as poor defensive work saw Doncaster fall behind to a Southend side who had won their three previous games, albeit the scorer should not have been on the pitch.
Anthony Wordsworth kicked prostrate Jordan Houghton in front of the dugouts, but referee Darren Handley took an eternity to decide it merited only a yellow rather than a red card – the official did dismiss Anton Ferdinand after the final whistle for foul and abusive language.
Whiteman was as perplexed as anyone by the reprieve for Wordsworth, who nodded Southend ahead after Nile Ranger’s effort had been headed off the line by Niall Mason following a mix-up between goalkeeper Ian Lawlor and central defender Joe Wright.
“I don’t know how it wasn’t a sending-off,” said Whiteman. “I heard the fourth official say straight away ‘red card’ so I thought that was pretty much it, but then it kept dragging on with the linesman and referee and I don’t know how it wasn’t a sending-off.
“Then he goes and scores the goal – to be fair, one of their players said he’d go and do that so it was karma really (sic), but he shouldn’t have been on the pitch in the first place.”

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that when a player deliberately falls on top of the ball to claim a foul, the opposition should have the right to dish out a free kick up the arse with no punishment?

I did love the BBC website's description of this incident as "off the ball"

....at first I read that piece as 'kicked him in the prostrate'!

The ref should have been quicker and blown for the infringement before Woody lost his head and booted their player up the backside. I was surprised he didn't send Woody off. However the ref spent the rest of the game trying to redress the situation. Some very poor decision making, including a couple of missed handballs in the opposition box, and many cheap free kicks awarded to Donny. Having said that we were awful.

" The ref should have been quicker and blown for the infringement "

I don't think there is an infringement. It's not obstruction because the ball is in playing distance.

Woody fouled their man by first knocking him over.

Back