• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sentinel

Schoolboy
Someone tried to mug me last night. After living in the town for over 30 years this is the first time this has happened to me. I was walking back from Herbies near Southchurch Park when I sensed two youths were following me on the other side of the park railings. They had hoodies on and I felt threatened so I crossed the road and walked further up and then headed into my road up towards the seafront. I knew they were just behind me and I stopped under a streetlight to look at a fictitious text on my phone to try and let them past but the came either side of me, produced knives and threatened to cut me to pieces.

I have always thought that if threatened I would be able to defend myself. I used to do judo (Cademon Hall judo club, anyone remember that?) but me against two youths with knives, no chance. I prevaricated a little, got more threats and then dropped my bag and ran down the road to The Castle where I got safe refuge and I called the police. The staff in the Castle were great and really helpful but it took over two hours for the police to show up.

Really shaken by it though. Never thought it would be this bad but harder than I ever thought to just get on with things.

Look, this is our town, our club, our home. If you know the scum who do things like this, tell the old bill, don't shy away from it, one day it may be you, or you missus and your kid. How would you feel then?

Sorry to hear that mate, I know you wanted to rip their heads off, but you did the sensible thing and you're here to type that.

You'll recover over time and they'll end up inside one day.

Some scumbag tried mugging me in town years ago, I was 19/20 something like that I was pushed over and had the guy on top of me literally trying to take my wallet out of my coat pocket and people were walking past like nothing was happening!

I walked away unharmed but was pretty shaken up and was just glad the guy didn't have a knife or something else, so you have my sympathy mate glad nothing happened but its not nice.

Glad to know that you are physically ok just in shock.Diss appointing that police turned up too late,but that's the way it is with lack of resources.Bet next you will be not on your own.

Glad you came through unscathed physically at least although appreaciate it will take a little while to recover from such a scary experience. Probably no real consolation but feel dropping your bag may well have been your best option as items are replacable.

Hope they get caught before someone gets seriously hurt.

Really sorry to hear this, but glad you're ok. Hearing that someone got sprayed with ammonia in Leigh earlier too, and women are getting regularly accosted by thugs in car parks at some of the retail parks, particularly the airport one. Bring back more bobbies on the beat!

If those idiots that tried to mug you had knives the police should be there in minutes, says it all about our useless police service that we pay for, and they wonder why a lot of people take the law into there own hands these days as nothing gets done to protect the good people that are about:sad:

Glad to hear you are OK.

That's the way the town is going. With the trend for corrosive fluids probably best not to try your luck.

I really worry about what it will be like for my children in a few years time.

If those idiots that tried to mug you had knives the police should be there in minutes, says it all about our useless police service that we pay for, and they wonder why a lot of people take the law into there own hands these days as nothing gets done to protect the good people that are about:sad:

It is in fact very easy to blame "our useless police".

Maybe you'd like to speak to one. If you can find one. There aren't any. They've been cut to the bone. Look at the local police stations. Bar Southend, gone. When was the last time you saw a copper on the beat.

So, don't be blaming the police for being there.

Blame the person who slashed their number. (she is the PM btw).

But, as a resident of Southend for all of my 50 years, I no longer feel safe walking through or near the Town Centre after dark.

While I can accept the words written by LF and others about police numbers, slashing of budgets etc I find the whole situation appalling.
Firstly that these louts are so brazen and dangerous.
Secondly the police lack of response is, without a shadow of doubt or any excuse UNACCEPTABLE and I strongly urge you to make an official complaint to Essex Police and also to your MP;- the situation, and others like it, should not be allowed to be swept away with the blaming of "cuts".
Next time these knife yobs may seriously hurt someone; but if there are complaints about the "service" maybe, just maybe, a police unit could respond swiftly and have a larger chance of getting the low life scum.

While I can accept the words written by LF and others about police numbers, slashing of budgets etc I find the whole situation appalling.
Firstly that these louts are so brazen and dangerous.
Secondly the police lack of response is, without a shadow of doubt or any excuse UNACCEPTABLE and I strongly urge you to make an official complaint to Essex Police and also to your MP;- the situation, and others like it, should not be allowed to be swept away with the blaming of "cuts".
Next time these knife yobs may seriously hurt someone; but if there are complaints about the "service" maybe, just maybe, a police unit could respond swiftly and have a larger chance of getting the low life scum.

Thing is of course, any response you will get will essentially say "we've got limited resources".

"Make do with less" was I think what May said at the time she swung the axe. They make do with less by doing less.

Complaining to the police will achieve nothing, except taking up valuable time that the policeman who responds could have used investigating a mugging. What you need to do is write to your MP, who probably supported the policy of cutting numbers in the first place.

And I say that as someone who is currently doing two jobs, because my workplace has been pretty much halved in the last five years and now its coming home to roost

Thing is of course, any response you will get will essentially say "we've got limited resources".

"Make do with less" was I think what May said at the time she swung the axe. They make do with less by doing less.

Complaining to the police will achieve nothing, except taking up valuable time that the policeman who responds could have used investigating a mugging. What you need to do is write to your MP, who probably supported the policy of cutting numbers in the first place.

And I say that as someone who is currently doing two jobs, because my workplace has been pretty much halved in the last five years and now its coming home to roost

The likes of May and Rees-Mogg aren't likely to have some scrote with a knife try to relieve them of their Sergio Tachini tracksuit top.

Doing nothing will achieve nothing. It might be that no unit was available, it might be that the call was logged incorrectly, a dispatcher error, a 1001 other possible reasons: BUT do you recall recently the chap in Leigh who had video of thieves stealing £30k of stuff but the police on the phones said they were too busy? well he soon found stuff started to happen when he took it further and to the Echo especially.
AND complaints are investigated by non operational persons, police and civilian staff, so not a minute of "investigating a mugging" time will be used.

Glad your OK fella. Not a nice thing to experience at all and I hope you can eventually put it behind you.

I have to echo what has been said before about the Police funding cuts. To go from a 31% increase in government spending on the police between the years 2001 to 2010 to a cut in real terms of 18% from the years 2010 to the present is nothing short of criminal and Cameron and May should both hang their heads in shame.

Doing nothing will achieve nothing. It might be that no unit was available, it might be that the call was logged incorrectly, a dispatcher error, a 1001 other possible reasons: BUT do you recall recently the chap in Leigh who had video of thieves stealing £30k of stuff but the police on the phones said they were too busy? well he soon found stuff started to happen when he took it further and to the Echo especially.
AND complaints are investigated by non operational persons, police and civilian staff, so not a minute of "investigating a mugging" time will be used.

Indeed. I have a good friend who sits in on my radio show from time to time who does specifically this for Essex police. Always, always make a complaint if you feel it warrants it. To do nothing achieves exactly that..............nothing.

How horrible for you and just glad physically you are ok but, the mental scars take a lot longer to heal or disappear. These people have no concept,of the damage they do to others and the effects but then I suppose they don't really care. I have to say these mindless useless members of society seem to think they don't have to work for anything and can just go and take what they want. They also only do this in numbers very brave of them NOT. Pathetic little humans.
May they never be on the end of anything like this but then again..............

Glad to hear you are OK.
I know and grew up in the area you are talking about and i'm saddened to hear.
Hope you can put this behind you mate
All the Best.

Back