• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think PB is Gareth Southgate's twin. Both put out teams that should do better and yet seem to play as though they are shackled in some way. England ain't winning the next world cup and The Blues are not winning the League. PB and GS are two peas from a defence minded pod. They think free flowing football is an abomination. Southgate will muddle through until we are soundly beaten in the group stages and then jump before he is pushed. PB will cling on to the managerial chair until he is offered better (which despite his supporters he hasn't been) or RM finds his gonads and gives him the push.

I think PB is Gareth Southgate's twin. Both put out teams that should do better and yet seem to play as though they are shackled in some way. England ain't winning the next world cup and The Blues are not winning the League. PB and GS are two peas from a defence minded pod. They think free flowing football is an abomination. Southgate will muddle through until we are soundly beaten in the group stages and then jump before he is pushed. PB will cling on to the managerial chair until he is offered better (which despite his supporters he hasn't been) or RM finds his gonads and gives him the push.

Don't think you're wrong about England and Southgate.Surely though, the aim for SUFC this season is to reach the play offs at least? If we don't, then I think it's reasonable to say that PB has failed.

I don't think the teams we've been putting out should be doing better than mid table to be honest. Yes we have some decent attacking talent (although when Wordsworth is injured we lack someone that can make intelligent passes) but the defense is poor, and without a strong defence the players further up the pitch are going to have limited opportunities since they need to constantly track back to defend corners and free kicks. It might be a different story when Kiernan and Coker come back but right now we do not have a good starting XI.

Honestly, I hate coming on here after a defeat. Teams lose people & I will defend Brown.

He has built a good squad here that can be attractive and was just a few minutes from the play offs last season and can certainly make it this time around, if not top 3.

The signings and injury situation have been debated on many threads and of course this defeat is frustrating on the back of the previous week, and yes, we may lose the next couple of games ws well.

However, there is no way Ron will, or should, dismiss him until this season is over, and if promotion is not achieved then I'm certain he will review what went wrong, especially having kept Lenny.

For now, & Brown has his faults, support the team, including Ferdinand, & you will see a steady turnaround in consistancy.

Though having those 2 centre backs, and Coker, back in the squad ASAP will certainly see that hppening sooner rather than later!!

Well said sir. I also despair of the unrealistic expectations of some posters. A defeat brings them out of the woodwork every time. We should know by now to roll with results, hasn't this always been the best way? Things always get better.
COYBB

There was the same diatribe I recall last season, when we were not performing. Before last Saturday we were 3 points off the playoff, shock horror we are now a mighty '4' points off. We should all know that teams will win and lose games they shouldn't, I think we have the strongest squad I have seen for years, the injured will return, and the young'uns are doing OK. 2 wins we are in playoffs, lol 4 wins we 3rd (assuming all those between us don't win so many games). Its time for a 1/2 full glass outlook, not 1/2 empty as many do here.

There was the same diatribe I recall last season, when we were not performing. Before last Saturday we were 3 points off the playoff, shock horror we are now a mighty '4' points off. We should all know that teams will win and lose games they shouldn't, I think we have the strongest squad I have seen for years, the injured will return, and the young'uns are doing OK. 2 wins we are in playoffs, lol 4 wins we 3rd (assuming all those between us don't win so many games). Its time for a 1/2 full glass outlook, not 1/2 empty as many do here.
I feel like blackadder surveying one of Baldricks cunning plans " assuming the teams above us loose"

Honestly, I hate coming on here after a defeat. Teams lose people & I will defend Brown.

He has built a good squad here that can be attractive and was just a few minutes from the play offs last season and can certainly make it this time around, if not top 3.
The signings and injury situation have been debated on many threads and of course this defeat is frustrating on the back of the previous week, and yes, we may lose the next couple of games ws well.
However, there is no way Ron will, or should, dismiss him until this season is over, and if promotion is not achieved then I'm certain he will review what went wrong, especially having kept Lenny.
For now, & Brown has his faults, support the team, including Ferdinand, & you will see a steady turnaround in consistancy.
Though having those 2 centre backs, and Coker, back in the squad ASAP will certainly see that hppening sooner rather than later!!

I'm with you. That was a crap result / performance, but just as I thought it was harsh to dismiss Sturrock I think it's harsh to get stuck into Brown now. That's not to say he's perfect though. I bailed out on him after Rochdale last season and I was wrong. A few factors to consider:
  • He started with a back four of Elvis, Ferdinand, Kyprianou, Timlin. That's not a winning back 4. Harry is in there on merit, but whilst I like younger players being given a chance Elvis to me looks all over the place defensively and I was surprised White didn't start. Equally if Hendrie who was signed as a left back is behind a central midfielder in the pecking order, there's a problem for me in there somewhere. Not knocking Timlin - we need more players like him.
  • Ferdinand is taking a fair bit of stick currently. He's actually not that old, but is approaching the end of his career. Yes he's not the quickest but what he adds is experience which is why Thompson played well along side him and Kyprianou seems to do the same. He was in the referees ear all game which we shouldn't tolerate, and getting sent off after the final whistle for a player of his experience is unprofessional in the extreme. But he brings something to the party. I personally wonder whether Leonard or Timlin or Cox are more deserving of the armband but I'm not sure Ferdinand deserves dropping.
  • What we lacked was any sort of creativity in the final third resulting in the desire to launch it at Ranger. When Wordsworth plays well, we play well - but he won't play well for 46 games a season. When he doesn't play well we're powderpuff in midfield which makes me want Timlin back in there because at least he kicks people. We need to find a midfield combination that accommodates Wordsworth but offers solidity when he's off form. For me the player to drop out might be McLaughlin who's another that can look good on the ball but maybe doesn't do enough over 90 mins.
How's about this next game: Demetriou, White, AN Other, Hendrie - Leonard - Wright, Wordsworth, Timlin - Cox, Ranger. If it transpires we're lacking a little bit of pace in the final third, throw McGlashan on.
If we're a little off form, why not analyse what we can do better rather than just calling for the manager's head?

Was pretty much the same story last year, we just had better luck with injuries.

Yes it was the same last year and for it to be repeated is poor. As for the injuries, we have a small, supposedly quality squad. When you go for quality over quantity, the whole squad needs to be at a higher level. Our quality is in a few individuals and not across the squad. This means injuries are doubly bad to key players as we have to throw in the less able.
We have sufficient quality up front but the service they get is one dimensional, a long loft up to Ranger, and we are predictable even to a five year old. Our front line should have more goals between them and it is questionable as to why the tactics are not tailored to their skills. Too many mistakes, regularly repeated, and PB is at fault.

Back