• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Scotland and the 2018 World Cup

The Panamanian president has announced a National Holiday in recognition of the team reaching the WC finals.

World cup power rankings. The "might" of England - Below Iceland and just about Egypt.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/oct/11/world-cup-2018-power-rankings

It's not coming home.

Think they are underrating us there if I'm honest, I don't think for a minute we are a top side but I'd have us better than Iceland, Nigeria and Mexico, they are all more than capable of turning us over but if we played them ten times each I am confident we'd have a positive record over all three. I think we should have a realistic expectation but this is shooting under that I think. We should qualify from our group, anything beyond last 16 is a success. Last 16 is our level IMO

Think they are underrating us there if I'm honest, I don't think for a minute we are a top side but I'd have us better than Iceland, Nigeria and Mexico, they are all more than capable of turning us over but if we played them ten times each I am confident we'd have a positive record over all three. I think we should have a realistic expectation but this is shooting under that I think. We should qualify from our group, anything beyond last 16 is a success. Last 16 is our level IMO

Yeah, we're probably in the top 16 sides in the world so getting to that stage would be about par. Sad times, but that's where we are.

I feel I need to cheer folk up here.

[video=youtube;QtqiBAg2biw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtqiBAg2biw[/video]

I see Scotland's FA have parted company with Gordon Strachan & assistant Mark McGhee.

Perhaps not so surprising. Whoever takes on that job will still have a lack of quality players at their disposal. At one time
there were Scots playing key roles at several clubs in the old Division One, latterly Prem League, but those days seem long distant.

I feel the SFA have made a big mistake in sacking Gordon. He was/is a good manager and his silly comments post elimination, for me, illustrate simply an unprepared man in despair and "lost" with the loss of the situation.

I feel the SFA have made a big mistake in sacking Gordon. He was/is a good manager and his silly comments post elimination, for me, illustrate simply an unprepared man in despair and "lost" with the loss of the situation.

I kind of agree with you Massimo. Is it about the manager or the lack of quality of players on the pitch? I think the latter.

Whilst Gordon isn't the world's best manager, I do feel he was the best "home grown" manager they had of a current crop. From a long era ago.

I can't see the the current front runners for the job,..... Moyes & McLeish (both out of work) or Mackay doing a better job than Strachan.
It's just a case of damage limitation with the players they currently have,... or might have in the run up to the next Euro's in 2020. It seems a long way off, but personally, I don't see them currently getting there for that one also.

England may be ****, but we're less **** than Wales, NI and Scotland. I guess that's a minor crumb of comfort.....isn't it? :unsure:

Luck plays a part. Look back at the Euro 2016 qualifiers, where Scotland's group featured three teams who went on to make the knockout rounds. A little more fortune with the draw and that Scotland side would probably have got through to a first finals in 18 years and Strachan would have got a free pass for a couple of campaigns.

I hope we see more of him in the media, because stuff like this is great.

[video=youtube;u4lMbSr2ZYk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4lMbSr2ZYk[/video]

Luck plays a part. Look back at the Euro 2016 qualifiers, where Scotland's group featured three teams who went on to make the knockout rounds. A little more fortune with the draw and that Scotland side would probably have got through to a first finals in 18 years and Strachan would have got a free pass for a couple of campaigns.

I hope we see more of him in the media, because stuff like this is great.

[video=youtube;u4lMbSr2ZYk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4lMbSr2ZYk[/video]

He was manager of a team (Coventry?) at The Hall many years ago and I was in the North Paddock next to the away dugout, his team were poor and Gordon came and sat on the wall and had a good chat with us all there about how poor his team were etc; very funny and good guy IMO.

He was manager of a team (Coventry?) at The Hall many years ago and I was in the North Paddock next to the away dugout, his team were poor and Gordon came and sat on the wall and had a good chat with us all there about how poor his team were etc; very funny and good guy IMO.

I certainly remember the Coventry games in the League Cup - 1998/99 season. They tonked us at Roots Hall, but they didn't need to be great to tonk that Southend side!

Our fans were singing the 'cheer up Gordon Strachan song', which England fans were, for some reason, singing at the recent Slovakia game.

Back