Likes Likes:  6
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scotland and the 2018 World Cup

I feel the SFA have made a big mistake in sacking Gordon. He was/is a good manager and his silly comments post elimination, for me, illustrate simply an unprepared man in despair and "lost" with the loss of the situation.

Director

Australia play Honduras now in a two leg qualification match to be able to participate in russia

Director

New Zealand play Peru also in a 2 leg qualification match.

Quote Originally Posted by Massimo Giovanni View Post
    I feel the SFA have made a big mistake in sacking Gordon. He was/is a good manager and his silly comments post elimination, for me, illustrate simply an unprepared man in despair and "lost" with the loss of the situation.
    I kind of agree with you Massimo. Is it about the manager or the lack of quality of players on the pitch? I think the latter.

Whilst Gordon isn't the world's best manager, I do feel he was the best "home grown" manager they had of a current crop. From a long era ago.

I can't see the the current front runners for the job,..... Moyes & McLeish (both out of work) or Mackay doing a better job than Strachan.
    It's just a case of damage limitation with the players they currently have,... or might have in the run up to the next Euro's in 2020. It seems a long way off, but personally, I don't see them currently getting there for that one also.

England may be ****, but we're less **** than Wales, NI and Scotland. I guess that's a minor crumb of comfort.....isn't it?

This cook is an anti-semite Uncle Leo's Avatar

Luck plays a part. Look back at the Euro 2016 qualifiers, where Scotland's group featured three teams who went on to make the knockout rounds. A little more fortune with the draw and that Scotland side would probably have got through to a first finals in 18 years and Strachan would have got a free pass for a couple of campaigns.

I hope we see more of him in the media, because stuff like this is great.

Certified Senior Citizen Tangled up in Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MK Shrimper View Post
    England may be ****, but we're less **** than Wales, NI and Scotland. I guess that's a minor crumb of comfort.....isn't it?
    That rather reminds me of the wonderful "It's ***** being Scottish" scene from Trainspotting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1tJJO_pVvQ
    "There are no unemployed people."

Chancellor Philip Hammond.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Leo View Post
    Luck plays a part. Look back at the Euro 2016 qualifiers, where Scotland's group featured three teams who went on to make the knockout rounds. A little more fortune with the draw and that Scotland side would probably have got through to a first finals in 18 years and Strachan would have got a free pass for a couple of campaigns.

I hope we see more of him in the media, because stuff like this is great.

He was manager of a team (Coventry?) at The Hall many years ago and I was in the North Paddock next to the away dugout, his team were poor and Gordon came and sat on the wall and had a good chat with us all there about how poor his team were etc; very funny and good guy IMO.

This cook is an anti-semite Uncle Leo's Avatar

He was manager of a team (Coventry?) at The Hall many years ago and I was in the North Paddock next to the away dugout, his team were poor and Gordon came and sat on the wall and had a good chat with us all there about how poor his team were etc; very funny and good guy IMO.
    I certainly remember the Coventry games in the League Cup - 1998/99 season. They tonked us at Roots Hall, but they didn't need to be great to tonk that Southend side!

Our fans were singing the 'cheer up Gordon Strachan song', which England fans were, for some reason, singing at the recent Slovakia game.