• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We have four centre backs unavailable together with one of the best left backs in the division, no wonder we are going to struggle away from home against decent teams. Every club from Manchester City down to Chesterfield would find it difficult to cope with what we have had to.

Brown will have been advised on players injuries etc before tieing up deals.Unless he is some sort of sadist he must have believed that the signings will come good and the smaller squad would have better quality .Unfortunately his luck has run out this season so far.Can we turn the corner if the injuries are long term....no ,the best we can hope for is mid table....Will that be good enough for Ron if the stadium gets the go ahead ?.

It definitely is hard to work out why Theo was given a 3 year deal from what we have seen so far. Maybe its unfair to judge considering how many starts he has been given, but he always seems to make much more of an impact when he comes on as sub. He is the only one of our strikers though, who pushes up on the last defender, and does create space in behind for Wordsworth to run onto. He also does turn well and gets himself into a shooting position. For a striker though his finishing is well below par, which is backed up by his scoring record. From what i've heard about yesterday his control wasn't the best either. Really frustrating player, who first time round worked really well with Barnard. Would like to see him get a few more games in the starting line up before deciding whether he is another one to add to Browns list of failed strikers

Theo has been the biggest disappointment since signing .The best I have seen him play was when he was put up front on the wide right hand side,looked a totally different player and caused problems for the opposition. Could be the way he is being played but that seems to be half our problem this season for the whole Team!
It definitely is hard to work out why Theo was given a 3 year deal from what we have seen so far. Maybe its unfair to judge considering how many starts he has been given, but he always seems to make much more of an impact when he comes on as sub. He is the only one of our strikers though, who pushes up on the last defender, and does create space in behind for Wordsworth to run onto. He also does turn well and gets himself into a shooting position. For a striker though his finishing is well below par, which is backed up by his scoring record. From what i've heard about yesterday his control wasn't the best either. Really frustrating player, who first time round worked really well with Barnard. Would like to see him get a few more games in the starting line up before deciding whether he is another one to add to Browns list of failed strikers

I don't get to as many games as I'd like, so I don't often comment on games these days. But I did go to both Doncaster last week and Wigan yesterday. So here are couple points:

Every so often Brown seems to come up with a 'clever' tactical plan. Yesterday, we saw Robinson playing so deep he was almost a fifth defender at times. However good or bad you think Robinson is, that is certainly not his position.

Timlin is not a left back. If he plays a poor pass in his midfielder role, he is giving the ball away to other midfielders. At left back he is giving it away to attackers, which I think is more dangerous.

Lenny is not a defender. I think a natural centre back would have aimed that header that led to the first goal out towards the touch line rather than infield.

For me McGlashan is best used as an impact sub. But if you are going to start with him, it has to be as a winger, not as one of a front three.

I can understand Brown wanting to shake thinks up after the Donny defeat. I would have brought in MAF to play up front with Ranger in a 4-4-2 playing Wright, Yearwood and Wordsworth and a winger in midfield. I think we would have been a bit more solid as the formation Brown fielded seemed to invite the opposition to attack us and left Ranger isolated.

BTW, this is not me having a go at the players, just the way Brown chose to use them at Wigan.

Posted on another forum but you neggies need to wake up.

Stop the doom and gloom. Look at the facts! 5 losses in total, against Rotherham, Charlton, Shrewsbury, Wigan and Doncaster. All AWAY games. Apart from Donny, the other 4 teams are in the top 5 league positions. Perhaps SU can hope for 6th place? They have not got to play these teams away again this season and may beat them at home.

A warning don't reply in this forum after you've been drinking.

A 13 minutes hat-trick.

Could do with one of them on Tuesday night! :thumbsup:

Could it be something with to do with the players travelling up on the day by train instead of going up the day before and staying overnight so giving the players a not so hectic morning and a better sleep? They seem to have done this about 3games in a row now!

And then walking from the train station to the ground for half an hour!

I'm not saying he should have signed John Stones and Chris Smalling, am I... however, he could have easily signed a couple of cheaper centre-back options as squad players (budget was not a problem, as we managed to sign Josh Wright when he wasn't really a neccessity) - much like we have done in previous seasons. I don't remember us ever having to be so short of options at the back. Using the "we can't attract any players" excuse isn't really valid IMO.

Or maybe not have antagonised so many centre-backs who were on our books who then decided their future was elsewhere. Barrett's legs had gone but the likes of Bolger, Thompson and Prosser all departed in somewhat acrimonious circumstances.

Or maybe not have antagonised so many centre-backs who were on our books who then decided their future was elsewhere. Barrett's legs had gone but the likes of Bolger, Thompson and Prosser all departed in somewhat acrimonious circumstances.

For the rose tinted brigade, none of that was down to Brown

For the rose tinted brigade, none of that was down to Brown

You say rose tinted - I say not being ready to cash in on a man who, if he left today, would leave us in far better shape than he found us.
Players will always want to leave, my friend. That's not necessarily because the manager is being negligent. Prosser was one of my favourites, but he's a squad player at this level, like Atkinson - in reality they both dropped a league in the hope of securing first team football. Bolger and Thompson can certainly play at this level, and were ones that ideally I'd have wanted to keep - but I don't know what went on with other offers, agents influence, a desire to be further north, whatever. And neither do you.

Back