• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I am approaching 50 years since my First Game (at the end of the month) I have seen 9 promotions and 8 relegations

Had I been watching the previous5 years it would have been 1 relegation. So I feel fortunate to have watched our most successful seasons , as well as seeing some of our least successful too,
How do I see us ?, basically as a Div 4 club who sometimes gets out , but generally does not get out for very long (the 90's were the only decade in which we spent less than 3 seasons in Div 4).

Could be worse , Preston won the double in 1888, that was the most success they have ever seen .

I like to think of us as a Division 3 club with potential to go to the next level - and stay. That will take money we currently do not have.

Perfect and Much Obliged. Really good article, that. :thumbsup:

I might park up that way on Tuesday night and will have a look then.

Just Google Mapped it. Dead opposite Carisbrooke Road.

Here are some pics of the plaque at 254, Hamlet Court Road.

rRQGnl.jpg

uOZrkb.jpg

I am approaching 50 years since my First Game (at the end of the month) I have seen 9 promotions and 8 relegations

Had I been watching the previous5 years it would have been 1 relegation. So I feel fortunate to have watched our most successful seasons , as well as seeing some of our least successful too,
How do I see us ?, basically as a Div 4 club who sometimes gets out , but generally does not get out for very long (the 90's were the only decade in which we spent less than 3 seasons in Div 4).

Could be worse , Preston won the double in 1888, that was the most success they have ever seen .

They also had Phil Brown as manager, I'm not quite sure what that tells me.

So have we decided who we are?

Are we a retirement home to past-it names or are we a club which has long term plans that go beyond our next match?

Are we the club who beat Man U or are we the club that has tamely gone out of the League Cup at home in the first round in each of the last five seasons?

Are we a club who plays positive football or a club who looks to shut down a game and waste time as soon as we take a lead?

Are we a southern club or a northern club? And if we are a southern club are we a mix of former Col Ewe, Wet Sham and Orient rejects?

Do we actually have an identity or do people just go as it is convenient?

Are we The Shrimpers or The Blues?

Case in point. The anti-PB Brigade often suggest The Cowley Brothers as natural replacement. Now they have the ideal credentials - they have had success. But so have lots of manager's never mentioned in relation to our club. The reason for the Cowley Boys being preferred to other successful manager's? You guessed it - Almost "One's of Our Own!". Local.
Rubbish, people who want them Want them because if their success and the assumption that they will be able to bring in local non league talent. Wether they can or not us irrelevant. Plus people have heard of the Crowley brothers, maybe other managers have done as well, but the majority probably haven't heard of them. The fact the Crowley brothers are local is not the reason people want them, if glen tamplin at billericay gets them promoted I don't see there being anyone on here wanting him yet he will be local and successful so meeting your points

We are the Shrimpers, the catchers of Shrimps.
Bring back old Pa Shrimper.
Although apparently the more generic Blues nickname was in use before Shrimpers.

We are the Shrimpers, the catchers of Shrimps.
Bring back old Pa Shrimper.
Although apparently the more generic Blues nickname was in use before Shrimpers.

I think if we are going by what is caught in this area then we should probably be "The Cockles". However, that may not be the most affectionate nickname, especially after some of our performances and when it comes to designing a mascot costume...

Cheers 'The Big Dady'.

I picked up my ticket today and took a stroll around to 254 Hamlet Court Road.

The plaque looks great. Really stands out as it's right on a corner, facing the road.

The house is a tip. Do they not know how legendary the property is!?

I noticed, also, that the Blue Boar opens again on Friday, linking the history back up again. :thumbsup::cool:

Back