• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I thought I heard on the commentary last night that Adam Barrett was there last night, I wonder if that was one of the reasons he was in attendance.

Like this Posh summary ;

On the surface a 1-1 draw away from home against a side unbeaten on their own patch after three successive League One defeats seems a decent result, especially after falling behind in rather comical circumstances early in the game.
But scratch beneath the veneer and this was a missed opportunity to scramble back into the top six. Southend have an unavailability list longer than Jo Brand’s food shopping list. They fielded a makeshift defence last night (October 17) which included two midfielders and it often showed as Posh created enough decent scoring chances to make home goalkeeper Mark Oxley a comfortable winner of the man-of-the-match award.
Posh were lacklustre before the break before playing a full part in an entertaining, end-to-end second period. Finding their form earlier in the contest might just have delivered the victory to re-establish fading promotion credentials. With a 12-point gap to the top two those ambitions might already be restricted to a play-off push with over two-thirds of the League One season still to go.
Still a small mercy was gratefully accepted by manager Grant McCann and his players. Even chairman Darragh MacAnthony tweeted praise for his players on his long drive home. The main men both used the word ‘proud’ to laud the men on the field.
Southend boss Phil Brown, who reckoned the nature of the second-half was bad for his hair and his heart (his tan remains immaculate though), insisted the draw was a fair result and he was probably right. The territorial and possession statistics would suggest Posh didn’t deserve to win, but they probably should have claimed the three points based on clear chances created.
Midfielder Anthony Grant somehow fluffed an easy opportunity to set up a tap in for Jack Marriott in the opening stages before Oxley took centre stage with two terrific saves to thwart Marcus Maddison and another late on to keep out a header from substitute Callum Chettle. Posh enjoyed this second-half spell of domination after Marriott had improved his own impressive personal numbers.
It’s now 10 goals in just 13 League One matches - he’s joint top scorer in the division again alongside Kieffer Moore of Rotherham - for the man signed from the Luton substitutes’ bench in the summer. Six of those goals have arrived in six away matches and he’s also been credited with two assists. If ever a transfer deal suited two clubs it’s the one that took Marriott away from Kenilworth Road where the Hatters have been slamming in high-scoring League Two performances all season.
Marriott found the net 10 minutes into the second-half following a cross from the irrepressible Gwion Edwards which was flicked on by Maddidon and deflected into his path by Andrew Hughes. It’s amazing the good things that can happen when several bodies arrive in the penalty area at the same time, something lacking in Saturday’s (October 14) gruesome defeat at the hands of Gillingham.
Marriott also missed the target when well placed with a header from a Maddison cross. The pair were fielded together up front in a partnership which grew stronger as the game wore on. Poor passing stopped them showing off clear advantages in both pace and skill before the break.
Posh reverted to a 3-5-2 system at Roots Hall with Edwards deployed as a left wing back and Jermaine Anderson and Leo Da Silva adding youth to a midfield that has lacked speed and stamina in recent weeks.
Those carefully constructed plans were ruined by human error in the 10th minute when captain Jack Baldwin’s attempted pass out of defence was intercepted by Marc-Antoine Fortune who promptly bagged his first goal of the season. A minute earlier Baldwin’s backpass had been intercepted by Dru Yearwood who failed to punish properly and midway through the half a perfect shot at redemption for the skipper was ruined when he headed Maddison’s superb free kick over the bar when unattended six yards from goal.
Misfortune, and that’s a very kind word to describe some of his calamities, has dogged Baldwin for a lot of this season, although he was pretty faultless after the break, especially in a frantic finale which featured some strong pressure from the home side once they introduced powerful forward Nile Ranger from the substitutes’ bench and Posh had switched to 4-4-2.
As one Twitter wag suggested beforehand, it made a change for the troubled Ranger to be on the bench rather than appearing in front of it.The jury is still out on Posh promotion hopes, but eight draws from 12 League One matches last night confirmed how tight and competitive the division remains.The play-off places are open to all. Posh chances will increase if Da Silva Lopes can maintain the form he displayed last night, in front of numerous scouts including one from Arsenal according to someone who should know.

I actually thought it was quite an entertaining match. Was impressed by Yearwood again. Was not impressed by Timlin, continually caught out of position and lots of sloppy passes. Did anyone notice his gestures towards the green seats when we scored? If so, what was that all about?

I would appear to be the only person that thought it was a crap performance from start to finish. Either our expectations have been artificially rendered so low that people now find that tripe entertaining, or I have unrealistic visions as to how competitive we should be in what looks to be a very average league (I've been accused many times of the latter).

For me, injuries aside, our problems run deeper than that.

• Regardless of who is in defence, we always sit far too deep and appear content to invite pressure. Furthermore, the marking from set pieces and crosses into the box is worrying to say the least.
  • Next - long throw ins and general lack of any palpable threat from set pieces. How long have we been flogging this dead horse? Nothing seems to change from week to week.
  • Why does nobody seem to be prepared to go in for a header/attack the ball aerially? Whether from a goal kick, set piece or in a midfield battle, there is absolutely nothing there.
  • Losing the ball in dangerous areas at both ends of the pitch - why do we still persist in ****ing about with the ball in and around our own box, and someone please tell me why we lose any composure when in possession in and around the opposition's box, and typically overhit, or completely misjudge our final ball? Decision making across the park has been and continues to be very poor.
  • Substitutions - your guess is as good as mine as to why we make the same old tired Robinson sub at the same time in almost every match. Bloke has no stomach for a physical battle, and falls over at the least opportunity.
  • Strikers - particularly Simon Cox. Once very good potent striker who refuses to take a chance when clean through and ten yards out...am I missing something?

Yes, we are still unbeaten at home, but that record is hanging by the most transparent of threads....

We are crap. Delusional to think we will make play offs this year. Won't go down but no chance we be at the top.

We are crap. Delusional to think we will make play offs this year. Won't go down but no chance we be at the top.

On the other hand Jim it could be considered delusional to think we are crap. The team played some pretty impressive one touch stuff last night, crap sides don't do that. Inconsistent sides waiting on returning players do.

On the question of where to play Wright. I think a decision has to be made...either wordsworth or Wright in the centre because neither are ball winners....we missed that big time last night, obviously lenny playing CB didn't help this.

Yep true

Shots on goal were at a premium last night and we never really tested their keeper, Bond (known I understand as 001 to his mates) who is reputed to have lived in Basildon but was nothing to write home about IMHO.

Maybe Brown should have gone 3 at the back, pushed Lenny into midfield and gone for brooke?

On the other hand Jim it could be considered delusional to think we are crap. The team played some pretty impressive one touch stuff last night, crap sides don't do that. Inconsistent sides waiting on returning players do.

Even crap sides have a good 10 minute spell in each game. Only one side looked like they would get the winner last night, not us. We are getting lucky at home. Blackpool we needed an Oxley last min pen save amid the onlslaught on our goal for the last 10 mins, last night he was MOTM, the Wimbledon game we was dire and could of easily conceded towards the end of the game. Away games we are getting thumped. I can't recall us actually playing well since the first half of the Blackburn game.

Are 2 centre halves and a left back going to make that much of a difference when they return?

Even crap sides have a good 10 minute spell in each game. Only one side looked like they would get the winner last night, not us. We are getting lucky at home. Blackpool we needed an Oxley last min pen save amid the onlslaught on our goal for the last 10 mins, last night he was MOTM, the Wimbledon game we was dire and could of easily conceded towards the end of the game. Away games we are getting thumped. I can't recall us actually playing well since the first half of the Blackburn game.

Are 2 centre halves and a left back going to make that much of a difference when they return?

They might just do exactly that. And kightly has to come back into the mix as well. Bottom line you think they are crap and I don't agree. Shrimperzone was made for us mate.

"Shots on goal were at a premium last night"

Apparently we had 17. No, I didn't believe it either.

That was an OK game to watch, never boring and a lot of effort from both sides with flashes of skill;- notably for us from Dru and MAF: also a cameo panto villain with their player Madison.
Andy and the posh posts from above have covered the match ok and largely as I saw it.
I don't understand the poor ratings for Cox from some, or the continual peck peck peck at Timlin or MacL from others as both worked honestly and did some stuff well and other bits as expected from a Div1 player.
In answer to an earlier Tims question, he shouted back to a negative unsupportive loud "fan" in the East who had expressed concern at Tims telling the forwards and wide men to make runs into space which coincidentally was what PB was also shouting!
However I would likrto see Hendrie at left back.
And Turner was tracksuited,,,,,,,,,,,,, ready for a run out?

In answer to an earlier Tims question, he shouted back to a negative unsupportive loud "fan" in the East who had expressed concern at Tims telling the forwards and wide men to make runs into space which coincidentally was what PB was also shouting!

Was this the pass towards the end of the match, which was intended for someone to come wide to the edge of the box in the South East corner?

If so, we were shouting this, as well. This was the point I alluded to about Theo. It was asking him to make some space and slip into the channel to receive that pass. Tims needed an out ball there and Theo just stayed around the penalty spot. It was lazy/poor thinking, whatever you want to call it.

Before Macca was taken off, he was making those runs for Tims all the time and allowed Tims the option of using him to pass to or as a decoy to move the ball infield to Coxy.

I thought I heard on the commentary last night that Adam Barrett was there last night, I wonder if that was one of the reasons he was in attendance.

Can confirm that Adam and his son were in attendance last night. Did mention to him that we could do with him on the playing in defence. Responded with if it was up to me I'd still be here.

Ever the professional. There truly is only one Adam Barrett

Was this the pass towards the end of the match, which was intended for someone to come wide to the edge of the box in the South East corner?

No, this was first half, just prior to the goal. I suspect that PB plays Tims partly because he listens to the plan and tries to follow it where some others may listen but seem to quickly ease off from their given role. Time and again PB is shouting the same instructions and frustrations at slow build up and release forward in our play.

OK, with you now. I assumed it was the second half, as it was someone in the East Bank.

Either way, I make Tims right.

Timlins best pass of the night, the one that found another blue shirt was when he kicked a new ball over to another southend player on the touchline for a throw after the last ball left the stadium

How I wish I could argue with any of this !!
I would appear to be the only person that thought it was a crap performance from start to finish. Either our expectations have been artificially rendered so low that people now find that tripe entertaining, or I have unrealistic visions as to how competitive we should be in what looks to be a very average league (I've been accused many times of the latter).

For me, injuries aside, our problems run deeper than that.

• Regardless of who is in defence, we always sit far too deep and appear content to invite pressure. Furthermore, the marking from set pieces and crosses into the box is worrying to say the least.
  • Next - long throw ins and general lack of any palpable threat from set pieces. How long have we been flogging this dead horse? Nothing seems to change from week to week.
  • Why does nobody seem to be prepared to go in for a header/attack the ball aerially? Whether from a goal kick, set piece or in a midfield battle, there is absolutely nothing there.
  • Losing the ball in dangerous areas at both ends of the pitch - why do we still persist in ****ing about with the ball in and around our own box, and someone please tell me why we lose any composure when in possession in and around the opposition's box, and typically overhit, or completely misjudge our final ball? Decision making across the park has been and continues to be very poor.
  • Substitutions - your guess is as good as mine as to why we make the same old tired Robinson sub at the same time in almost every match. Bloke has no stomach for a physical battle, and falls over at the least opportunity.
  • Strikers - particularly Simon Cox. Once very good potent striker who refuses to take a chance when clean through and ten yards out...am I missing something?

Yes, we are still unbeaten at home, but that record is hanging by the most transparent of threads....

Hendrie needs to retire if timlin is getting in over him what the hel was he playing at? If it weren't for Lenny covering him they would of got 2 or 3 in the second half the man just can't defend!!!
He has Mc Laugh Lin in front of him (who was shocking again) - enough said!

Back