• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

'Sherif H' made a good point about the game and the ongoing saga of the Lenny throw-in.

This is also a constant bugbear of mine.

On Tuesday night, I was sitting around midway between the 6 yard and 18 yard line in the South Upper, so the throw-ins from in front of the East Blacks were being aimed roughly in front of me.

Twice, at least, there wasn't a single Southend player standing where the throw was aimed at! .. We all know, by now, that the distance Lenny gets on his throw is about there, so why is there never anyone there, thus making it easy to head the ball away.

At least we tried the dummy throw later on. The one where Lenny throws it short and from well behind the touchline, to Demi.

I know some people attend training, so I'd be interested to know if this is ever properly worked on, along with the taking of set-pieces, the defending of them and finishing.

Little things like these need good practice and time spent on them. Even if it means getting the main guys back for extra training to work on them.

When you watch other teams, they look like they have little training ground routines they try in matches. I'd like to think we have, but you don't really ever see anything much where you think that's clever and well thought out, with what we do.

Not had a chance to visit the Zone since Tuesday and too far away now for a match report.

However, a few observations:
Timlin, while still not a left back, had a better game than recently;
Lenny is being sorely missed in midfield particularly by Woody, and also tries to play the ball too much in defence - White showed him how to deal with the ball...just kick it decisively out;
Both Timlin and Demetriou go caught out of position far too much putting greater pressure on Lenny, White and Oxley - just a relief that Oxley had such a good game;
Dru is still very raw but there is an undoubted talent in there;
Josh Wright was quietly effective;
Cox appears to have lost that striker's finishing instinct - stop trying to lay it on a plate to others!
I thought Marco had a great hour or so and was delighted he scored. Holds the ball up so well.

Interesting that you made him MoM Andy. Some of the comments on this thread thought he was absent, but I agree with you and Oxley only just shaded it ahead of Wright for MoM for me. Previously I had mixed feelings about his battling ability when things got tough, but last night he was involved from start to finish. Can't win headers for toffee but I'll forgive him that as he thinks about what he's going to do with the ball before he plays it.

He was second only to Oxley for me on Tuesday night. Seemed to be everywhere, always available, linked up play all over the pitch. Didn't do anything spectacular other than the long shot late second half but just keeps everything moving. Very comfortable on the ball. Looks to me like someone who could play a league higher. Can only guess there's something in his attitude that holds him back as he's been through a few clubs at this sort of level.

'Sherif H' made a good point about the game and the ongoing saga of the Lenny throw-in.

This is also a constant bugbear of mine.

On Tuesday night, I was sitting around midway between the 6 yard and 18 yard line in the South Upper, so the throw-ins from in front of the East Blacks were being aimed roughly in front of me.

Twice, at least, there wasn't a single Southend player standing where the throw was aimed at! .. We all know, by now, that the distance Lenny gets on his throw is about there, so why is there never anyone there, thus making it easy to head the ball away.

At least we tried the dummy throw later on. The one where Lenny throws it short and from well behind the touchline, to Demi.

I know some people attend training, so I'd be interested to know if this is ever properly worked on, along with the taking of set-pieces, the defending of them and finishing.

Little things like these need good practice and time spent on them. Even if it means getting the main guys back for extra training to work on them.

When you watch other teams, they look like they have little training ground routines they try in matches. I'd like to think we have, but you don't really ever see anything much where you think that's clever and well thought out, with what we do.
in the second half timlin took three short throws, none of which went to a southend man. When Lenny takes a throw we still loose the ball but higher up the pitch. �� Can't believe my expectations are that low that I found a positive there. Must remind myself that last season at home we did score from a Lenny throw ( can't recall the game). We also "never" used to score from a corner but have scored a few this year. I keep telling myself that like buses you have to wait for a goal from a Lenny throw and then more will follow.

we all live in hope

in the second half timlin took three short throws, none of which went to a southend man. When Lenny takes a throw we still loose the ball but higher up the pitch. �� Can't believe my expectations are that low that I found a positive there. Must remind myself that last season at home we did score from a Lenny throw ( can't recall the game). We also "never" used to score from a corner but have scored a few this year. I keep telling myself that like buses you have to wait for a goal from a Lenny throw and then more will follow.

we all live in hope

We don't score from long throws because we don't win the first header. We should have our tallest player heading the ball backwards across the goal for the oncoming other players. We all know where the throw is going to land, Lenny is consistent in that. I still can't believe it's never been sorted out since Lenny started his long throw years ago. A wasted weapon.

Throw ins involving Southend players often brass me off. We never seem to offer options for the thrower, either through movement or late arrival for a short throw. In fact, often the receiving players just stay static, or it seems as if they do.

we all live in hope

We don't score from long throws because we don't win the first header. We should have our tallest player heading the ball backwards across the goal for the oncoming other players. We all know where the throw is going to land, Lenny is consistent in that. I still can't believe it's never been sorted out since Lenny started his long throw years ago. A wasted weapon.

Exactly this.

I mentioned earlier that it would be nice to see something that looked like it was worked on at the training ground.

Maybe we could see that with the throw in a bit more.

You know what really gets me, against Blackburn Lenny's goal came from being at the back post from a corner. Since that game, as far as I can remember, we've spectacularly failed to try and replicate this by having someone in that position and yet most games it is an area where we may have stood a good chance of scoring if someone had been there. Our corners generally either fail to clear the first man or go sailing over everyone's heads so someone back post has to be worth trying!

And why is Woody no longer taking corners? His were quality last season!

You know what really gets me, against Blackburn Lenny's goal came from being at the back post from a corner. Since that game, as far as I can remember, we've spectacularly failed to try and replicate this by having someone in that position and yet most games it is an area where we may have stood a good chance of scoring if someone had been there. Our corners generally either fail to clear the first man or go sailing over everyone's heads so someone back post has to be worth trying!

Too knackered to run to the corner flags!!! ��

Woody is not taking corners as he needs to be at the near post to knock the corner in as against Blackpool. Have we tried this corner again?

Didn't we try it in the first half on Tuesday, or that might have been a low cross?

Ah, yep, I make you right.

Josh Wright seemed to take most of the corners. They were OK, but Macca takes a better one, IMHO.

From Tuesday's game quick corners or free kicks (or throws) were absent largely thru the ref taking his time in getting himself ready and from corners talking to cuddling players; however there didn't seem much urgency or invention or runs into space - which actually Theo does do; but by the time he came on the habit of not "expecting the unexpected" is set in and so runs "missed".

Its pretty irrelevant how good the corners are as we lack any threat in the air anyway.

Back