• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He would also benefit from stopping whingeing all the time and getting the referee's back up. He picks up a ridiculous number of yellows for a player of his type, not to mention any marginal decisions the ref doesn't give him because he's fed up with him moaning (yes, it happens!).

This seems to be something of an Irish (sic) trait.

Maher and McCormack were two of the worst offenders when it came to this.

Our forwards are not spring chickens (Ba aside), with their years of experience they should all know how to finish and when to shoot by now.

The problem is they are all drastically on the way down in their careers and our clueless manager has signed them purely on their names and past efforts.

Ranger is not as has never been a prolific goal scorer, Cox is a 30 year old in a 40 year old's body, Fortune is almost actually 40, Theo Robinson found his level scoring 1 in 3 at non league level.

You could have Shearer, Sheringham and Ian Wright all on the training ground all day every day, the fact of the matter is you struggle to teach an old dog new tricks, especially when the old dog is shot to bits

Brilliant post.......

Coxy is a confidence player, and his confidence in front of goal must be low, when I watched him in the past he would have buried some of the chances he has had recently. Have we got an attacking coach at the club yet?? If not, herein lies our issue!

Agreed he was the same this time last season and once he scored a couple and got his confidence up he was shooting from all angles. I think he scored in 7 consecutive home games last season.

He did have a shot early on which was quite tame and maybe that played on his mind.

Our forwards are not spring chickens (Ba aside), with their years of experience they should all know how to finish and when to shoot by now.

The problem is they are all drastically on the way down in their careers and our clueless manager has signed them purely on their names and past efforts.

Ranger is not as has never been a prolific goal scorer, Cox is a 30 year old in a 40 year old's body, Fortune is almost actually 40, Theo Robinson found his level scoring 1 in 3 at non league level.

You could have Shearer, Sheringham and Ian Wright all on the training ground all day every day, the fact of the matter is you struggle to teach an old dog new tricks, especially when the old dog is shot to bits

Im loving this....30...in a 40 year old body....

Coxy needs to re-watch this for inspiration... Sadly I think these days are long gone :-(

Y2MeN4EaPL4
[video=youtube_share;Y2MeN4EaPL4]https://youtu.be/Y2MeN4EaPL4[/video]

Yep, great goal, but it's also all about the quality of the ball to him, as well.

We had this debate last season and he came good.

As 'Feathers' mentioned, above, a lot of it is a confidence thing, coupled with the quality of ball into him. He made a run like that in the first-half, when Dru broke down the right, but the cross was way beyond him and slightly delayed, meaning he isn't running on to it.

The early ball in to the danger area is something else we need to work on. More for the training ground!

Yep, great goal, but it's also all about the quality of the ball to him, as well.

We had this debate last season and he came good.

As 'Feathers' mentioned, above, a lot of it is a confidence thing, coupled with the quality of ball into him. He made a run like that in the first-half, when Dru broke down the right, but the cross was way beyond him and slightly delayed, meaning he isn't running on to it.

The early ball in to the danger area is something else we need to work on. More for the training ground!

Yeah totally agree with that Andy.

Cox is definitely low on confidence right now and have seen his frustration at times of late, he makes intelligent runs. But rarely does someone pick him out, which surely you'd think was picked up upon by the management and is part of their training sessions.

Regards strike force, I also believe Ranger is better with the ball at his feet (he does have a decent level of skill and at speed is hard to challenge), and playing a more deep central role with Cox in an advanced position, as despite his height (Nile) he isn't aggressive enough to make an impact, and hence he gets manhandled regularly off the aerial balls by a lumbering CB.

Anyway, what do I i know... :smile:

I make you spot on with both 'Floval'.

Our best football on Tuesday night was when we moved the ball to feet and played with a bit of pace.

Definitely agree that Nile plays this well, as well.

Good example is our second goal at Fleetwood the other week.

We did play some nice one touch stuff at times on Tuesday, it's just not happening often enough at the moment though.

A lot depends on who gets picked and where they play.

Last season, when we had Wordy, Will, Macca, Coxy and Fortune, they all linked up well, especially when Demi pushed forward. That was our best run and we scored some great goals with good early pass and move football. Coxy is perfect for that type of style of play.

This is one of the main reasons I don't like McGlash in the side. He hasn't really got that about his game.

Once Kightly is fit, I think we'll see a higher tempo of passing and we'll become a better side again.

Could have done with just chucking Ba on for 20 mins or so Tuesday night, he'd at least have had a go. don't know whether Cox has lost confidence in shooting himself or is just trying to be unselfish. It was notably Woody that had two shots of the type you'd normally expect your strikers to instinctively take in and around the box - and the kind Freddy would have put away with no bother!

Are the team so desperate for Robinson to score a goal they are trying to set him up rather than having a pop themselves I wonder? Its happened a few times this season IIRC.

Are the team so desperate for Robinson to score a goal they are trying to set him up rather than having a pop themselves I wonder? Its happened a few times this season IIRC.

They should put Sammy the Shrimp upfront, as he's more of a 'shellfish' striker!

I'll get me coat:blush:

Could have done with just chucking Ba on for 20 mins or so Tuesday night, he'd at least have had a go. don't know whether Cox has lost confidence in shooting himself or is just trying to be unselfish. It was notably Woody that had two shots of the type you'd normally expect your strikers to instinctively take in and around the box - and the kind Freddy would have put away with no bother!

Imagine Freddy in 2006 getting in the box and passing it... No chance!!

Cox tries to set everyone up when he'd be better off shooting, it's not exclusive to Robinson. One thing Theo does do well is get himself in good positions (even if he doesn't do much once he receives the ball), which is probably why he seems to be being helped out more than others.

sorry Mc Glash and Robinson waste of wages as far as im concerned, but what do i know ,i can only go on your threads,how i would love to come and see my team play again.:sad:

Why not give iFollow a go? That way you can watch the Southend games live on your computer.

sorry Mc Glash and Robinson waste of wages as far as im concerned, but what do i know ,i can only go on your threads,how i would love to come and see my team play again.:sad:

McGlashan hasn't been a waste of wages. He's made things happen in a few games. He just needs consistency and to practise his crosses and shooting. He's our quickest player. Against tiring defenders in the second half of games, he leaves them for dead, but as many others have said, it's the end product. Mind you, if he had that he would be playing in the Championship with that blistering pace.

Back