• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AndyT

Lord of the Reedy River
Well, Saturday is 'Pancake' Day, when our forum friend and his side visit Roots Hall.

Bury arrive, sitting in the bottom four, but have had two good home wins recently, against Oxford United and Bradford City.

They have perennial striker, Jermaine Beckford, on their books. Whether that's a good thing or not, I couldn't tell you these days. However, they also have Chris Maguire, who impressed last season when I saw him. He'll have to work on his goal celebrations though (hopefully not on Saturday).

Battles with Bury in the past always seemed to end 0-0 when I was younger, but in recent times, we've thumped them 4-1 with Noel Hunt scoring twice. I'm not sure he's scored since!

Our current unbeaten home record started against Bury, with the 1-0 win on the last day of last season, so let's hope it doesn't end with them, as well.

Team wise, the tough call will be whether Ferdy returns and if so, Lenny should move into midfield, but at the expense of who?

Otherwise, I can't see any other changes.

Onwards! :happy:

Dad's army :

oxley
white turner ferdinand
demetriou wordsworth timlin kightly
robinson fortune cox

They have perennial striker, Jermaine Beckford, on their books. Whether that's a good thing or not, I couldn't tell you these days.

Let me help you then; he's scored in six out of his last seven League matches. When did we last have a player do that ?

They made a lot of signings this summer so I'm not surprised they have had a slow start as it takes a while to get to know your best 11 and then it's got to gel. I'll be amazed if they stay in and around the relegation zone

Our side still probably picks itself, Ferdinand will walk back in because there's no one else

What I expect to see;
Oxley
Demetriou White Ferdinand Timlin
Wright Wordsworth Leonard McLaughlin
Cox Fortune

Only thing I hate about it is Timlin at left back. I don't know how bad he has to play to get dropped. Hearing a lot of stories of Hendrie's confidence being shot to bits, even in training. But I cant say I'm surprised. How would you feel seeing someone play out of position in your role and doing a poor job? You're never going to bring the guy's confidence back up by benching him.

Despite his age, I think MAF gets the nod ahead of Ranger again, we did play some nice stuff on Tuesday, it didn't always comes off but we were having a go. Probably the poorest defence we will come up against all season and we couldn't break them down more than once. But we really are painful to watch just hoofing it up to Ranger. I'd rather see us at least attempt to play some football

Good question that 'Mick'.

On Beckford, I was also alluding to his disciplinary record, which included being sent off in successive games, one of which was fighting with Eoin Doyle, his own player.

Always felt he had goals in him, like James Vaughan did last season for them.

I notice Vaughan hasn't really hit the heights yet, at Sunderland, though.

Be interesting to see how Beckford plays on Saturday.

Gary Jones in 1995, he got 5 in 6 and 4 in 4. Didn't Brett Angell score in 7 consecutive games as well?

Nice fella, the Jones.

He lived not far from us in Hockley and often popped out for a beer with us, back in the day. :thumbsup:

I am sure i remember Mike Beesley getting 8 in 8 at the start of a season.
Good shout 8 in 5 games at start of 1962/3 season including a hat trick at Coventry.

Talking of hat tricks this must be our longest ever spell without a hat trick. Mentioned it the other day it was Mohsni v Barnet in April 2012. Cant imagine we have ever been 5 years without one before?

The sad thing is we now have strikers who score none in 8 .

Back