• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Beyond poor. Whole game was lacking in quality beyond belief other than one moment from Ryan Leonard which decided the game. Other than that, you'll find better at Priory Park tomorrow. Pitch means we couldn't get it down and play and the wind meant we couldn't go long, and Bury were the same only even more disjointed than us.

They most likely would have been ahead had Leonard not bust a gut to get back and cover for Timlin's shocking free kick and then his strike was one of the best he's had and that's saying something.

Oxley 7 One good save, nothing else to do
Demetriou 7 Generally good, couple of wayward crosses
White 7 Solid, physical battle but handled it well
Ferdinand 7 Looked better for the break, one or two moments where he looked shakey but won a lot in the air
Timlin 4 Not a left back and gave the ball away too easily
Wright 7 Got forward well but still seems unsure where he should be playing
Leonard 9 Best player in the squad by a mile, we'd be in the bottom four without him
Wordsworth 5 Game passed him by completely, not the best conditions for him but he had no influence
Kightly 6.5 Looked rusty, moments of skill but overdid it on a few occasions
Cox 6 Good work rate and that was key to the goal, that was his only contribution
Fortune 6 Worked hard, no threat

Subs
Ranger 6 Strong and stood it up but awful first touch
McLaughlin 7 Some good deliveries into the vox
Robinson N/A Didn't touch the ball

Will be shocked if anyone remembers this game in a fortnight, one of the worst I've seen at Roots Hall in a while. 3 points is a massive positive, though not a lot else to take from that.

Last edited:
Timlin was shocking. Kept diving in far too often. Poor game but I'll take the 3 points.

First half was atrocious but I thought we played alright in the second half even if it was dull. Kightly should have scored, Cox somehow missed a free header from 5 yards out and ballooned another one over the bar, Demitriou also put in some threatening balls. We badly need to work on our shooting but the build up play was there second half. Aside from the moment they hit the bar I can't think of a time Bury threatened to score in the second half as well.

Just confirms what I saw. 90 minutes of dire football from two sides that looked as though they were from the bottom half of the league. One moment of brillance from Léonard. Didn't know he could still hit them like that! :smile: Oh yes......and a good few saves from our keeper

Horrendous game of football. I’ve seen better on a Sunday morning. Hendrie may as well just ask for his release now as Timlin was a disgrace, and it’s not even a left back thing now, he’s just playing ****

One moment of quality lightened the mood but we’re still no where near good enough

For all the new signings they made they are still the worst side to visit Roots Hall since Bury visited last season. Dire.

Oxley made a couple of good saves in the first half, keeping us in it. Lenny saved us when Timlin made an absolute hash of a free kick. Fortune was twice blatantly shoved on the back which Gavin Ward totally ignored.

Against a better team we would have been smashed but luckily Bury were as poor as us. One moment of brilliance from Lenny gave us 3 points but it only papers over the cracks that we are very very poor.

We have defensive players to come back but we are at full strength attacking wise which is a real worry.

There is no real movement in the final third. Middle of the park we can pass it about all day, moving into space to recieve the ball but go and further up the field and we freeze. There were 4 or 5 balls played into the penalty area today that had just one player taken a gamble on and made a run, we could have have 2 or 3 more goals but we are just too static. The only player that ever gambles is Demi and he finds himself in some decent advanced positions.

A word on the ref's assistant who was running the west in the second half. You can only put your flag up if our player is in front of their player when the ball is played. Flagging before Cox has even passed their player because their player shouts offside doesn't actually make it offside

This was a difficult game and the score line reflects that we shaded the encounter.
I did not think it was a dire as those posters above, the pitch is as it is and the weather was not for pretty stuff however Bury worked hard and for a big side weren't dirty. They relied on two big fowards and Maguire to get them something and JW, Anton and a combination of len and Wright nullified their game plan while also making our midfield too defensive. It took some thinking about but for me PB called it correct with replacing Kightly and the intro of MacL (who had a good 15 minutes).
It was a great strike by Len & in these conditions more players ought to have had a pop from distance.
As others have put with some better heading, a few more " selfish" forward shots and running into the box for some good crosses and we might have had a few more goals to make the result sweeter.
Was it no bookings and no injuries too?
Anton looked almost back to finding his better form.
Again 100% from all the players.

Match report: Southend United 1, Bury 0

A STUNNING late strike from Ryan Leonard fired Southend United to a 1-0 win against Bury at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Oxley made a couple of good saves in the first half, keeping us in it. Lenny saved us when Timlin made an absolute hash of a free kick. Fortune was twice blatantly shoved on the back which Gavin Ward totally ignored.

Against a better team we would have been smashed but luckily Bury were as poor as us. One moment of brilliance from Lenny gave us 3 points but it only papers over the cracks that we are very very poor.

We have defensive players to come back but we are at full strength attacking wise which is a real worry.

There is no real movement in the final third. Middle of the park we can pass it about all day, moving into space to recieve the ball but go and further up the field and we freeze. There were 4 or 5 balls played into the penalty area today that had just one player taken a gamble on and made a run, we could have have 2 or 3 more goals but we are just too static. The only player that ever gambles is Demi and he finds himself in some decent advanced positions.

A word on the ref's assistant who was running the west in the second half. You can only put your flag up if our player is in front of their player when the ball is played. Flagging before Cox has even passed their player because their player shouts offside doesn't actually make it offside

I agree, if we were playing against Barcelona they may have smashed us; but we weren't, we were playing against Bury and we were the better side and won.

What seriously is your problem???

We can only play against what is in front of us, not what may have been in front of us, believe it or not, that's how football works!!

I agree, if we were playing against Barcelona they may have smashed us; but we weren't, we were playing against Bury and we were the better side and won.

We can only play against what is in front of us, not what may have been in front of us, believe it or not, that's how football works!!

Chump, why mention Barcelona. You know exactly what I mean by better opposition so stop making yourself look stupid with pathetic responses

Not a lot to add regarding the action and our performance. I think most posts so far saw it for what it was, a poor game from two poor sides. The wind didn't help the game at times but neither was the players ball control anything to write home about. Lenny's goal was a screamer and I'm thankful for that and his lung bursting run followed by a sliding tackle to rescue Timlin's appalling attempt at gifting Bury a goal. He had no right to catch their player, let alone block the ball and that sort of performance will encourage bidders come January sadly. Nevertheless, still unbeaten at home and three points today.

By the way, anyone know what happened to Hendrie to keep him off the Bench? Very strange decision.

Thank goodness we have Ryan Leonard and Mark Oxley. Shocking first half, Timlin should be dropped, an out of form player being played out of position isn't helpful. Wright OK, White good first half and faded, Ferdinand should retire, Demi isn't a defender. Still a lucky three points

I agree, if we were playing against Barcelona they may have smashed us; but we weren't, we were playing against Bury and we were the better side and

Sadly many will continue to moan on here while the manager they wish removed remains in charge.

Like many I wish we would win every game 4-0 playing sparkling attacking football, alas we do not have the budget of Manchester City.

Great result, a very much needed three points.

Onwards and upwards, come on you Blues.

Chump, why mention Barcelona. You know exactly what I mean by better opposition so stop making yourself look stupid with pathetic responses

The only chump, and a boring one at that, is you.

Come on you Blues!

The problem is some learned supporters have an agenda, to have the manager removed at whatever cost. The interesting thing is none of them have a solution of who would be a good fit as a manger.

Back