• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We are nowhere near good enough for promotion.

If you watch championship games on the box it's clear the gulf in quality is enormous.

Lenny will be gone in January for sure. We'd be mad to turn down any offers above 500k with add ons.

Assuming any of the team in the summer that bid still require a central midfielder?

L1 to Championship is of course a massive step. You have clubs in the Championship that have, or have had, their parachute payments in the tends of millions. What is the prize money for winning L1? Not a great deal in comparison.
Millwall and Sheffield United doing ok though.
As for the 'prize' money for getting relegated from the Prem it's probably 99.5% more than you get for winning League 1.

Assuming any of the team in the summer that bid still require a central midfielder?

Good point.
I think it's a more difficult choice for the player in Jan than the close season , especially if we are pushing on towards a play off place.
Teams near the top of the Championship ( assuming that's his aim ) may take the view that they have got to that position with what they have , so why the need to add or change it.
Teams in mid table may look to strengthen and kick on I guess and those near the bottom will want to survive , so may take a punt , depending on budget.
But does the player want to move to a side that we 'COULD' potentially swap places with ?

I have deliberately left out the factor of more money on a longer contract , which for any player outside the PL , is a huge consideration.
I just think there is more to think about in Jan and the options may not include the ones you would prefer.

That said , I think he will go.

Millwall and Sheffield United doing ok though.
As for the 'prize' money for getting relegated from the Prem it's probably 99.5% more than you get for winning League 1.

Indeed, though Sheff U. have been Prem' and get decent crowds. I wonder if Millwall will sustain Championship status though. The likes of Burton will struggle in the long term.

Burton probably getting relegated along with Bolton. I see Burton's net home support this season is only 3,300 which would only put them mid table in League 2 for support. Probably the smallest team punching above thier weight ever in the 2nd division.

Agreed, Burton is a tiny club but Bolton just seems to have been disastrously run. A top-rate fall from grace, really.

As an aside, a quiz question I don't know the answer to but which club has won the Premiership and is now lowest in the league?
I'd guess Blackburn.

Agreed, Burton is a tiny club but Bolton just seems to have been disastrously run. A top-rate fall from grace, really.

As an aside, a quiz question I don't know the answer to but which club has won the Premiership and is now lowest in the league?
I'd guess Blackburn.
Almost certainly Blackburn. Since the league was formed in the late 1800's there has only been just over 20 different teams that have won the 1st Division or Prem.

Just checked it out and it looks like 24 different teams of which 10 have only won it no more than 2 times. Out of those 10 teams 6 have not won it for at least 55 years.

Almost certainly Blackburn. Since the league was formed in the late 1800's there has only been just over 20 different teams that have won the 1st Division or Prem.

OK which club has been in the top division and is now the lowest? (Maybe Royal Engineers - who no longer exist - or similar).

OK which club has been in the top division and is now the lowest? (Maybe Royal Engineers - who no longer exist - or similar).
Not so sure they ever played in the league probably just FA cup as like the Wanderers they were amateur.
It's probably Darwen if they still exist? It was also probably Accrington as they were in the original Football League.

Just checked the good old google again and Darwen went bust in 2009.

I think the answer is Bradford Park Avenue, though I might be wrong.

If not, then Leyton Orient or possibly York City?

Why do you think he'll go in January? Dan didn't. It's the same situation.

I'm not sure it is the same situation.

There's only one goalkeeper in a side and they are less prone to injury, suspension etc. Lenny's versatility means he could fill any number of spots and even if he's not immediately getting into the side he'd be valuable to pretty much every League One, maybe even Championship side looking to boost their squad.

Secondly, the club has a greater incentive to sell as being in our team he's obviously older than 24 and unlike Bentley we won't get a fee when he moves in the summer. It doesn't look like we're in the promotion race. If we're out of the cup but look like we should avoid relegation then if Lenny isn't re-signing then Ron must see what value we can realise for him.

Back