• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

danburyshrimper

Manager
Phil Brown indicated he may use this game to give some 1st teamers match fitness , so this should be a cracking evening. Anyone who's not been over to New Lodge for a year or two wont recognize the ground - its got 4 new stands !!!! A great new bar that serves both inside and outside , and all seaters to the sides and standing at each end.
Billericay , for all their celebrity circus paraphernalia play a really excellent attacking brand of football , pinging the ball about with confidence and ---- something i really hope Phil Brown learns from -- - their team SHOOTS ON SIGHT !!!! blasting the ball in from everywhere , and following in looking for any rebounds off the keeper. I went to the FA Cup replay there a few weeks back and they must have fired in at least 35 shots at goal !!!!
Always a feisty bunch , mostly wound up by the pre match nonsense barked out by the ""David Icke of the Steel industry"" ... but this promises to be a really great night so lets get as many Shrimpers over there as possible !
Expect Tamplin to be giving it large if they turn us over so hopefully the likes of Kightly , Yearwood , Elvis , McLaughlin , Robinson , Bridge + Matsuzaka + Turner (:omg: WHO ?????) turn on the style and " step up to the plate/ lay down a marker etc etc "

UTB

I don't think we'll see many from the 1st team squad. Bridge, Matsuzaka and Cotton (because they don't look like getting a game anytime soon in the 1at team) & maybe Elvis at a push. It wouldn't surprise me if it were all youth teamers though, it's the ESC at the end of the day. Not important at all. Would be nice to wipe the smile off Tamplin's face though

Couldnt give a Monkey about the bragging rights, just hope the players come out unscathed, as we cannot afford more injuries at the moment

UTS

I don't think we'll see many from the 1st team squad. Bridge, Matsuzaka and Cotton (because they don't look like getting a game anytime soon in the 1at team) & maybe Elvis at a push. It wouldn't surprise me if it were all youth teamers though, it's the ESC at the end of the day. Not important at all. Would be nice to wipe the smile off Tamplin's face though

He's not a bad bloke behind all the front he put's on. Him and his family used to treat the homeless to meals and drinks in Billericay every time they walked past them. He's just taken two of those homeless and paid for the rehab and after care they need, and given them both jobs at the club. He's also paying for their accommodation.

He's not a bad bloke behind all the front he put's on. Him and his family used to treat the homeless to meals and drinks in Billericay every time they walked past them. He's just taken two of those homeless and paid for the rehab and after care they need, and given them both jobs at the club. He's also paying for their accommodation.

yeah and they Robbed him

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/156...__steal_from_him_and_take_drugs_/?ref=mr&lp=2

Saying that love to have a local business man who's be happy to invest in my beloved Southend United

I've just noticed there club badge and it's a ship, anyone know the story behind it? It's not as if they're by the coast.

Would be a real shame if we even gave Tamplin the sight of a first teamer. Play the u16's and win please.

I've just noticed there club badge and it's a ship, anyone know the story behind it? It's not as if they're by the coast.

Today's history lesson:

"Although Billericay was a flourishing commercial centre during the reign of Henry VIII, it had become one of the strongest centres of Puritanism in Essex and continued religious persecution led some residents to embark on the famous Mayflower voyage, from Plymouth, to the New World in 1620. The leader of the expedition was Christopher Martin, a former churchwarden of Great Burstead parish who, in 1619 was brought before the Archdeacons Court at nearby Ingatestone for failing to attend church and answer questions on the Catechism! There is much historical imagery relating to the Pilgrim Fathers depicted throughout Billericay, there is a Mayflower Hall and Mayflower School; the parish magazine is entitled The Pilgrim; and the Billericay town flag is adorned with a silhouette of the Mayflower" as is the football club badge.

Plymouth. Near enough?

On 6th September 1620, a ship of some 180 tons sailed from Plymouth to begin a voyage to New England. That ship was 'The Mayflower' and amongst its 100 passengers were four or five from the town of Billericay. Later settlers in Massachusetts formed many townships bearing Essex names - one of which is 'Billerica'.

For the very reason you state I would be very surprised if PB elects to run the gauntlet by selecting many first teamers.....perhaps he will give Turner some match fitness but the remainder would be relieved of the duty I would imagine...the likes of Ba, Matzazuka may get a run out

50 years ago there was a pub in Billericay called the Mayflower. It was very popular with under aged drinkers. Probably the reason why it has been imortalised on the club badge.
Or maybe it has to do with the good folk of Billericay setting out to discover America.

I'm actually quite surprised Tamplin hasnt changed the badge to incorporate him and his missus doing the "Jack + Rose at the front of the Titanic " pose

Lose-Lose situation for us, if we put out a strong side and win it will mean nothing, if we lose then they'll claim bragging rights, if we put our youths out we're likely to lose...

Anyone actually going?

Didn't the Pilgrims sail from nearby?

There's a pilgrim link, hence why the local school is named The Mayflower. It could be that some locals sailed on the Mayflower.

Edit : Sorry, answered this and realized there are more posts explaining this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back