• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfurok

Manager⭐
This forum is significantly the poorer for not having Rigsby giving Brown's take on stuff.

Rigsby was stroppy, disagreeable and generally wrong but always interesting.

Great shame.

He often is interesting, but unfortunately at times crossed the line, often behind closed doors and he did receive warnings and chose to ignore them.

Believe it or not, none of us take any pleasure from banning anyone and it really is a last resort.

His ban is not permanent and he may soon return if he can show that he deserves a second chance. Hopefully he will have learnt from his time away and will come back and be a positive contributor to the Zone again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad he may be returning soon.

Amongst a lot of very negative stuff about the club, I found he always put a positive spin on things and was realistic in his posts.

He may have been confrontational, at times, but generally backed his views up with reasoned debate.

There are several others on here who don't, at times, in fairness.

The answer with anyone like him/her is to ignore them, if you feel you might be wound up by what they are saying.

Keep up the good work, guys. This is by far the best supporters forum out there. You only have to take a look at the others to see how average/poor they are in comparison. :thumbsup:

I liked him, though some of his posts on the politics forum were confrontational, but maybe he could be allowed just on the Chit Chat one to begin with - I don't know if that's possible? certainly his insight at the club was interesting.

This forum is significantly the poorer for not having Rigsby giving Brown's take on stuff.

Rigsby was stroppy, disagreeable and generally wrong but always interesting.

Great shame.

I disagree, for the football stuff he was generally correct, sometimes overly optimist but he always gave a proper match report post on a game he had actually attended.
Most of the politic threads are poor quality posting to the left or right so they haven't altered at all with Rigger's ban.
I am guessing that "stroppy and disagreeable" was closer to "nasty and hateful" to be banned;- qualities that are best aired in private.
I too would hope he returns soon.

Good point 'Massimo'. I missed that on 'mfurok's' original post.

I make him spot on, pretty much all the time on the chit-chat thread.

I don't venture much onto the politics and some of the other areas of the forum. He can cause a few exchanges of views on some of the conspiracy theory stuff but, like you say, very little has changed since he left and, from my own experience of moderating on another forum, it's the politics stuff that brings out the worst in people and sometimes the best.

People will be people, as they say. It'll be a dull old place if everyone agreed.

He had your number didn't he? give it a rest you down trodden old leftie you.:zzzzz:
Old and leftie but I'm the least down trodden person you could meet. He didn't have my number but he was happy to make numbers up and pretend they were mine - which seems a bit pointless as I'm an easy enough target as I say what I think, making stuff up just made his attacks less convincing.

Old and leftie but I'm the least down trodden person you could meet. He didn't have my number but he was happy to make numbers up and pretend they were mine - which seems a bit pointless as I'm an easy enough target as I say what I think, making stuff up just made his attacks less convincing.

Sod the political stuff, this is, in it's basic form, a FOOTBALL and SOUTHEND UNITED forum AND it is about that which I believe his (Riggers) absence lessens the debate.

Sod the political stuff, this is, in it's basic form, a FOOTBALL and SOUTHEND UNITED forum AND it is about that which I believe his (Riggers) absence lessens the debate.
I'm not talking about politics I'm talking about his attitude towards fellow supporters. I agree that he is knowledgeable about the club and have praised him for that on numerous occasions but IMO what he brings to discussions is outweighed by his conduct during discussions.

This is the bit I don't quite get. I know what you are saying '***'. I do think he clashes with certain people and there is a tendency to drag past debates up that are not relevant to the one in question. I can see how that can irritate people.

But the vast majority of people don't seem to have an issue. If they did, as I mentioned before, he wouldn't have received over 4,500 likes for his posts.

Certain people are opinionated. If they clash with other opinionated people, it can cause friction. That's natural.

Was a minority of people, though, enough to initially warrant a permanent ban? That's the bit I didn't really understand.

This is the bit I don't quite get. I know what you are saying '***'. I do think he clashes with certain people and there is a tendency to drag past debates up that are not relevant to the one in question. I can see how that can irritate people.

But the vast majority of people don't seem to have an issue. If they did, as I mentioned before, he wouldn't have received over 4,500 likes for his posts.

Certain people are opinionated. If they clash with other opinionated people, it can cause friction. That's natural.

Was a minority of people, though, enough to initially warrant a permanent ban? That's the bit I didn't really understand.
I’d say he got likes for his match reports and insider club knowledge but also if you are a right or left winger you get likes from those of a similar outlook. Traditionally football has been a draw for right wingers so no surprise there that he will get approval for that. And in the absence of a dislike button (not something I’m proposing) you only see one side of that coin.
I never asked for him to be banned - that was 100% down to the Mods getting fed up with deleting his posts and ignoring requests to operate in a certain way. I enjoy a good debate and get involved but with him he wouldn’t even draw a line at twisting your words he would directly lie about what you have said. IMO if you can’t debate someone on their actual opinions and have to lie about them then that is weak and disruptive.

Worth remembering that most people won't see the worst output as those posts usually get deleted soon after being posted.

I’ve met much worse people so I don’t want to over sell it, but if the discussion has been started on the value of his input I will be willing to go on record as saying that his match reports are much more valuable than the 10 or so I do a season but his personal attacks on various people are a detriment to the site.

Fair and balanced '***'.

I have the odd person on here that I debate with who is not easy to work with, so to speak, and I can see your point. Where they select certain things you say and re-quote them out of context. It's very difficult to reason with, sometimes, as well.

I've always been for good honest debate, but respect for the other parties, as well. That way, everyone gets their say. In a way, a forum is a better platform for debate than face to face, as you don't get shouted down in the middle of a point or have someone talk over you, before you get there. You can completely have your say and others can re-quote it later. It doesn't get caught in a verbal battle to top the previous person.

However, forums don't let you too much into the mind of the poster, what they look like and how they are making their point, so it's easier to have a pre-conceived idea of what someone is like and stick to it. You almost have a mental picture of what the poster looks like, how aggressive they might be and even where they are posting from. Most are wide of the mark.

So you generally go on how others perceive them and get an overview from there. MrsBlue is another one. Never bothered me much, certainly can take a joke and had some good points. But he/she struggled to put them across and ended up being bullied off the forum, in my view, by those who didn't like his/her style.

A shame, in a way, as I am sure if we all met one day in a gathering somewhere, we'd all get along better than we think.

A few interesting comments on both sides. Rigsby is certainly one to divide opinions.

We don't ban people lightly and posters won't always be aware of what's going on behind the scenes to try to keep things civil on the forum. But whatever has gone on, it's time to close the thread as this is a discussion about a poster who is currently unable to contribute, or in the case of some comments, defend himself. The ban is currently a temporary one.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back