• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

what do you want, 50% of the players to be youth, regardless of ability ?

I don't think 20% is an unrealistic expectation for a club that is "bringing through well" the youths. That's 3 players out of the 14 (including used subs) instead of the 5% or so we've had for the last year and a half.

Ted Smith represented England at u18 and u20 level, that suggests that he's not lacking in ability.

Elvis Bwomono by all accounts handled himself well in the first team.

Dru Yearwood shone in pre-season playing amongst the firsts.

Jack Bridge was linked with a move to the Premiership.

It's not regardless of ability. These players have ability.

Also, you totally swerved the point of youngsters that were taken by bigger Clubs !

The issue is that we are not bringing players through to the first team.

You really are looking for any hook to look for negativity, because, we've won our last 2 league games and are actually better off this season, points wise, at the same stage as last season.

No, I'm looking long term because the club is going to get screwed by this short term approach. I don't really care if we finish 10th or 16th this season when next season we'll be in a worst position with the increased debt and a squad a year further away from their prime.

You must hate it when we win, you really must.

Also, explain why its important to say that Walsall had 3 youngsters, you don't get more points for fielding youngsters, they didn't beat us .. so I fail to see how that point is at all relevant.

If you read my post you'd have seen the point I was responding to (I even bolded it) was the claim that we are doing well at bringing through players. I was pointing out that we don't.

But you can apply that logic to anyone who isn't a big Premier League or European club surely?

Exactly. The world's best players don't aspire to be a Shrimper (mugs that they are!) and as you imply, a Bee, a Brewer, a Latic etc.

"Ted Smith represented England at u18 and u20 level, that suggests that he's not lacking in ability.
Elvis Bwomono by all accounts handled himself well in the first team.
Dru Yearwood shone in pre-season playing amongst the firsts.
The issue is that we are not bringing players through to the first team."

Really? All three have first team experience with more to come. Have you not contradicted yourself there?

Exactly. The world's best players don't aspire to be a Shrimper (mugs that they are!) and as you imply, a Bee, a Brewer, a Latic etc.

The world's **** and average players don't aspire to be any of those either.

With the distorted (and not needed) system of Parachute payments i suspect we are where we can feasibly be . Even if we were t to get promotion, this ridiculous system will work against us . The current championship has nigh on 90% of clubs who have benefited from these crazy payments.

it's not often spoken about but i really feel it's inception was a backdoor way of keeping the rich richer. There is no logical reason why clubs should be rewarded for 3 seasons after a relegation. If they can't budget for the eventualities of staying up or going down , why should other clubs face an unfair level of financial competitiveness ?

Some interesting comments in this thread from earlier in the season.

So we ended up 10th which is probably about where our budget is ranked with the other clubs (it may actually be a couple of places lower than that). I know budget isn't everything just look at Accrington! But it gives a good indication over time where a clubs 'natural' position might be.

Back