Likes Likes:  473
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: Football - what do we love about it? (with a bit of Brown to Sunderland? thrown in)

Quote Originally Posted by Leoblue View Post
    I was sort of right then, he did work for the FA before he came to us. Shocking manager, and to think he got jobs after we sacked him.

He must be our all time worst manager and that's saying something with the crap we've had over the years.
    He was in "charge" when we lost 8-1 at Gills (and our one was an OG) and 6-2 at Notts County. He "managed " for 8 or 9 games, losing 6 in a row conceding 24 in those 6, 28 in 8. Ah, things could be worse!
    That Curly Bob is a jolly good chap!

Quote Originally Posted by blues exile View Post
    Exactly, those personal duels within the game. I well remember McKinven taking on the fearsome Jimmy Scoular, a typical hard case fullback but in the twilight of his career with Bradford Park Avenue and leaving him dumped on the ground snarling, as well as many a tussle with the Colchester fulback Duncan Forbes, another defender who took no prisoners.
    Corrections needed,sorry!....Duncan Forbes was essentially a centre-half(Norwich) and Jimmy Scoular always a right-half(Newcastle).

Reading up a bit more on the Batester, after the dismal start he was apparently offered a coaching role under Clarky, who they promoted to player/manager. Clarky, of course, had finished off the promotion job the season before after Webby resigned over a clash with Jobson.

Bate refused the role and then tried to sue us for compensation!

According to the information in the book, Bate was appointed on Howard Wilkinson's recommendation to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    He was in "charge" when we lost 8-1 at Gills (and our one was an OG) and 6-2 at Notts County. He "managed " for 8 or 9 games, losing 6 in a row conceding 24 in those 6, 28 in 8. Ah, things could be worse!
    Could of been worse , could of had Murphy as his number 2 .

Dick Bate really has to be the worst manager in our history. Truly dreadful manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuss View Post
    Corrections needed,sorry!....Duncan Forbes was essentially a centre-half(Norwich) and Jimmy Scoular always a right-half(Newcastle).
    No correction needed in either case.Forbes played right back for Colchester against Southend in 1963, 1964 and1965 in all three seasons when McKinven was on the leftwing, most memorably when the winger scored two in the 6-2 win on November 7 1964. Scoular was a right half for most of his career but ended up as a fullback at Bradford.

This cook is an anti-semite Uncle Leo's Avatar

And was the League Cup win over Derby the first game after he was sacked? It was certainly his 'notes from the manager' in the programme for that game.

Yes, it was.

As soon as he was gone, we best Derby over two legs and started winning league games, immediately.

Just goes to show what the players thought of him. I'd love to ask Clarky, if I get the chance at some point.

Imagine if the Zone was around then!

Absolutely, but after the Gillingham match, there is some footage of 'zoners arriving home :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9KXrRUZqtw

No correction needed in either case.Forbes played right back for Colchester against Southend in 1963, 1964 and1965 in all three seasons when McKinven was on the leftwing, most memorably when the winger scored two in the 6-2 win on November 7 1964. Scoular was a right half for most of his career but ended up as a fullback at Bradford.
    Here's a picture of him a bit later by which time he was indisputably a centre-half. Three players alongside him that older members might recognise. If not you can cheat and read the line-up.

http://team-shots.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=61

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Here's a picture of him a bit later by which time he was indisputably a centre-half. Three players alongside him that older members might recognise. If not you can cheat and read the line-up.

He started out as a centre half and finished up there but the point I was making was that he played right back up against McKinven in the early sixties. Check out Hal Mason's Official History of the Us showing that of his 270 league appearances for Colchester around 150 were at right back.

Certified Senior Citizen Tangled up in Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by E for B and Billy Best View Post
    Dick Bate really has to be the worst manager in our history. Truly dreadful manager.
    Great programme notes though.
    "We know no spectacle so ridiculous as the British public in one of its periodical fits of morality."

Thomas Babington Macaulay.

He started out as a centre half and finished up there but the point I was making was that he played right back up against McKinven in the early sixties. Check out Hal Mason's Official History of the Us showing that of his 270 league appearances for Colchester around 150 were at right back.
    And I wasn't disputing that at all. I've checked my bookshelf and, strangely, I can't find my copy of "Hal Mason's Official History of the Us" .... must add it to my Christmas list.

And I wasn't disputing that at all. I've checked my bookshelf and, strangely, I can't find my copy of "Hal Mason's Official History of the Us" .... must add it to my Christmas list.
    It's very old, only goes up to 1990/1991 ISBN 1 874427 50 X Still available on Amazon