• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No correction needed in either case.Forbes played right back for Colchester against Southend in 1963, 1964 and1965 in all three seasons when McKinven was on the leftwing, most memorably when the winger scored two in the 6-2 win on November 7 1964. Scoular was a right half for most of his career but ended up as a fullback at Bradford.

Here's a picture of him a bit later by which time he was indisputably a centre-half. Three players alongside him that older members might recognise. If not you can cheat and read the line-up.

http://team-shots.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=61

Here's a picture of him a bit later by which time he was indisputably a centre-half. Three players alongside him that older members might recognise. If not you can cheat and read the line-up.

He started out as a centre half and finished up there but the point I was making was that he played right back up against McKinven in the early sixties. Check out Hal Mason's Official History of the Us showing that of his 270 league appearances for Colchester around 150 were at right back.

He started out as a centre half and finished up there but the point I was making was that he played right back up against McKinven in the early sixties. Check out Hal Mason's Official History of the Us showing that of his 270 league appearances for Colchester around 150 were at right back.

And I wasn't disputing that at all. I've checked my bookshelf and, strangely, I can't find my copy of "Hal Mason's Official History of the Us" .... must add it to my Christmas list.

And I wasn't disputing that at all. I've checked my bookshelf and, strangely, I can't find my copy of "Hal Mason's Official History of the Us" .... must add it to my Christmas list.
It's very old, only goes up to 1990/1991 ISBN 1 874427 50 X Still available on Amazon

Dick Bate really has to be the worst manager in our history. Truly dreadful manager.

Page 180 onwards in "Red Card Roy" - says Bate lost the players on the second 2 day of pre season dancing round traffic cones, a clip board with notes and blowing his whistle like a police man!

Page 180 onwards in "Red Card Roy" - says Bate lost the players on the second 2 day of pre season dancing round traffic cones, a clip board with notes and blowing his whistle like a police man!

180 pages ??? There must have been a lot of pictures !

Absolutely, but after the Gillingham match, there is some footage of 'zoners arriving home :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9KXrRUZqtw

Ah, had almost forgotten about Barnstoneworth United. I had to watch the full episode again. Do you remember what their solution was to a bad run of results? To draft in a load of old and experienced players. It'll never catch on!

No correction needed in either case.Forbes played right back for Colchester against Southend in 1963, 1964 and1965 in all three seasons when McKinven was on the leftwing, most memorably when the winger scored two in the 6-2 win on November 7 1964. Scoular was a right half for most of his career but ended up as a fullback at Bradford.

..... and least memorably the 3-1 away defeat in 1964/5 (my first ever away game!). Conditions were poor after incessant rain, but after much pitch forking (I guess that's why they're called pitchforks!) the game got under way. Not only my away debut but also Eddie May's first appearance. Goalscorer Peter Bullock was a strange choice at centre-forward adding weight to the rumour at the time that we went up to Birmingham intending to sign out and out striker Mickey Bullock, but came back with his brother who would best be described as an inside forward in those days. Peter Bullock went on to play the bulk of his career at Layer Road.

Last edited:
Yes, I saw that too, my first visit to Layer Road, got there late after walking from the station to the ground not realising how far it was. A horrible wet day,got soaked and It was actually a 3-1defeat as well. Both the Bullocks were pretty useless but I remember the story that we had signed Peter by mistake instead of Mickey. Used to go to football combination matches in those days and they were regulars in Birmingham reserves.

Yes, I saw that too, my first visit to Layer Road, got there late after walking from the station to the ground not realising how far it was. A horrible wet day,got soaked and It was actually a 3-1defeat as well. Both the Bullocks were pretty useless but I remember the story that we had signed Peter by mistake instead of Mickey. Used to go to football combination matches in those days and they were regulars in Birmingham reserves.

I said least memorable ! :winking:

Think we scored one of theirs for them !

Thank you - I now realise that football has been sanitised - for every Paul Roberts there was a David Crown, for every Andy Dixon a Martin Ling, for every Brett Angel and Ian Benjamin, for every Dave Martin a Keith Jones.

Football had cloggers at the back and skilful forwards. Now there's no clogging every one is the same and run around like Duracell bunnies with their GPS trackers. The forwards had to be skilful to avoid being clogged. All they have to do now is get leaned on, fall over -get a free kick and the crowd bays for a yellow or red card. Bring back the cloggers for some excitement!

This with the fact that somewhere the game went from the winning team scores the most goals to the winning team concedes the fewest goals has reduced the excitement in large cases to who will get the goal in a one nil result.

If you saw Sam on MoD a couple of weeks ago he said he kind of said " The trouble with West Ham fans is that are not content to be happy with just a clean sheet - they want football as well!" I ask you what hope is there.

Trouble with W*** H** fans is a phrase oft heard; more happily W*** H** and clean sheet is not.

I'd say it was more like 3 cloggers for every flair player. You had a fair few cloggers up front as well, players whose primary "skill" was in their physicality, think of someone like Donut. I'm not saying he didn't have any skill or technique but his primary job was to outmuscle the opposition centre-half. Nile Ranger and Fortune do the same sort of thing these days but there's far greater subtlety to it - it's why Benji was ahead of his time.

Whilst Donut and Paul Roberts were the epitome of 80s football, the Duracell Bunny himself Will Atkinson must be the epitome of 2010s football.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Seeing your full-back put the winger into the stand is great (and gets a bigger cheer than your winger beating the full-back). Seeing your full-back put the ball into the stand is not.

If someone suggested an extra point for every goal you win by I think there would be outrage at people mucking with the game, but maybe it's needed. I think teams not competing to win is a greater issue though. Leicester's triumph papers over cracks but how many teams in the Premier League are playing to survive rather than to win it? That paucity of ambition cascades down into the championship which is full of teams who have stagnated because of it. The Championship is (or at least was) a horrible, ghastly division. Full of teams dead behind the eyes.

With the exception of Leicester the good stories in the Premiership have nearly all been through League One - Southampton, Swansea, Norwich and Cardiff (when they were good) where they've been rejuvenated and relearnt how to play enterprising football. Even Man City needed a stint in League One. Huddersfield, Brighton, Burnley and Bournemouth all went up via League One as well. Watford are maybe an exception but they went from League One to the Prem and didn't expect to stay up. What someone like Villa need more than anything is a stint in League One.

I wonder if we're talking about the same book?-sorry my copy's somewhere in the house,upstairs I think.I'm talkng about the yellow jacketed The Official History of SUFC -often called the bible on here-by Peter Mason,certainly not Perry!

It's Barry Corr all over again.

Great programme notes though.:winking:

I've just dug the programmes out, he really was away with fairies and to think they killed an innocent tree for such twaddle. The front of one of the programmes had a picture of him with his marquee signing Richard Young, a player who managed 5 starts in three seasons and was so bad he didn't even manage to get splinters on his jacksy sitting on the subs bench.

Back