• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fixed Odds machines

How nanny state do we want to go though? Addictive personalities are just that and if you take away one vice who's to say they won't move on to another? Alcohol or drugs.
Are they going to limit how much you can gamble online? would it just be moving the problem out of the shops to somewhere else?

Yes, debit cards are accepted

Some are. But typically, the most successful shops will be in areas of high employment. Shops in the City of London for example do very well.

Yes I hear many stories of the old guys round here going for lunches that last all afternoon and losing substantial amounts, I'd imagine the stakes are much higher around here but would be surprised if the city shops made their money on the machines, would have thought the bulk would be on the horses

Maybe that idea (reduce the stake) will make them less appealing. I don't know. There was a guy on the R5 programme that said he'd lost £300,000, his house, wife, everything. Gambling seems to be the new scourge. Every time you watch TV there are gambling ad's. Even on youtube.

That's fair enough, and something should be done to prevent that sort of thing happening, but at what price ?
If legislation leads to the loss of 12000 jobs how many people have to benefit for that to be an acceptable price to pay ?

That's fair enough, and something should be done to prevent that sort of thing happening, but at what price ?
If legislation leads to the loss of 12000 jobs how many people have to benefit for that to be an acceptable price to pay ?

How many jobs & lives are ruined by these things?

Exactly, something the pro legislation articles appear to have avoided.

But how many jobs are worth one saved gambler, assuming that this will actually stop the individual gambling his life away ?

1 for 1 ?

Exactly, something the pro legislation articles appear to have avoided.

But how many jobs are worth one saved gambler, assuming that this will actually stop the individual gambling his life away ?

1 for 1 ?

There is an argument that if a gambler no longer has an avenue to lose hundreds of pounds a minute he'll have a lot more disposable income to spend, which will stimulate other areas of the economy and create jobs there instead.

Gambling shops have had to evolve to be profitable. Long gone are the days of shady characters sitting surrounded by plumes of smoke from their cigarettes with a copy of the Racing Post, studying form and having a shilling or two on every race at a meeting. I don't have a problem with these machines as such, but do believe they should have limits for those who simply don't know when to stop.

As most will know on here, gambling in most forms is pretty abhorrent to me, but I understand the fun people get from it. It is, as with any addiction, when it goes too far that it becomes a problem.

Back