• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
Boring subject but I am paying around £150 a month from British gas for gas and electricity in a four bed detached house with cavity and loft insulation.

Sounds miles too steep to me unless my neighbour is running a cannabis farm off my supply.

Is anyone getting a better deal?

Yep, very worthwhile checking on comparison sites.

At £85 a month for a 4-bed detached. Electricity units remain remarkably similar year after year, find it's the gas that can shove up bills especially if a long cold winter.

Three bed detached house or three bed detached cannabis farm?
Lol, I think you know the answer!

How do you manage that, is the heating / hot water left on all the time?
We're all electric, so, storage heaters - and old ones at that. Plus the insulation in the loft is the old type not the thick stuff they use currently. It'd mean taking all the boards up to replace it, which, as we intend to sell next year isn't something we want to do. We also have a single skin utility room. It's all stuff that could be quite easily done but not that we want to (or can afford to) do.

4 gods sake get shot of BG ,try Tonik ,b4 that I was with 1st Utility ,I pay almost 1/2 yours ,I have 3 bed semi 2 reception rooms cloaks ,30's built ,10 inch solid walls ,not much insulation

Ah, that's the big downside with storage heaters. Presume energy efficiency could be high-up on the tick-list for your next home.

I moved suppliers as EDF told me based on last year my monthly DD would be £70 so I moved. Within 3 months they put it up to £98 a month saying my usage was high. It was in the summer so no heating on whatsoever so wasn't high at all. They are all sheisters at the end of the day and will say anything to get your business

If you want to stay with British Gas, switch to Sainsbury's. I know it sounds a paradox but it's the same company with a different brand name. (Martin Lewis, MoneySavingExpert).

I moved suppliers as EDF told me based on last year my monthly DD would be £70 so I moved. Within 3 months they put it up to £98 a month saying my usage was high. It was in the summer so no heating on whatsoever so wasn't high at all. They are all sheisters at the end of the day and will say anything to get your business

There tends to be a lag, so your usage is high in the winter so they adjust your monthly payment up during the summer and then after low usage they drop it back down.

We pay about £85pm for a 4 bed detached.

There tends to be a lag, so your usage is high in the winter so they adjust your monthly payment up during the summer and then after low usage they drop it back down.

We pay about £85pm for a 4 bed detached.

They based the original £70 on the last 12 months usage which included winter. This was in March and our heating was off then. To put it up to £98 a month after 2 months is a joke

They based the original £70 on the last 12 months usage which included winter. This was in March and our heating was off then. To put it up to £98 a month after 2 months is a joke

Has your actual tariff gone up in cost, or is it your usage, or both?

Has your actual tariff gone up in cost, or is it your usage, or both?

No its a fixed tariff until 2018. They always seem to do things like this. I've put a meter reading in now and going on my payments since June, they now owe me £68

I pay £15 a month for Electricity.

Have you tried switching off lights when you're not in the room?

(I don't have gas but hot water is paid for via a separate service charge.)

I pay £15 a month for Electricity.

Have you tried switching off lights when you're not in the room?

(I don't have gas but hot water is paid for via a separate service charge.)

The kids do a lot of sport, I do a lot of mountain biking.

I suspect washing/drying is the chief expense.

Back