• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Oppo's view ;

Yeovil Town manager Darren Way spoke to local journalist Chris Spittles, in an interview for BBC Somerset, after his side had beaten Southend United in the FA Cup on Saturday 4th November 2017.

CS: Darren, well played - a place in the FA Cup Second Round, and your team were well worth that today.

DW: I think today we had to prove that we could compete against a League One team, and the only way we were going to do that was when we crossed that white line and entered that arena. Every individual played a massive part in that performance.

CS: There were suggestions before the game, from one of their players, that you couldn't compete with a League One team. Was that a bit of motivation for your players?

DW: I'm not on social media, so I'm not that stupid. But I think that if I was a player that probably would have encouraged me to put on a performance. But I don't think my players need to get involved in that. What you've seen is a group of individuals of character, desire and commitment and fight, and today we came out on top. The players deserve that.

CS: In the first half, in particular, you completely dominated the game.

DW: I thought we did, certainly with the counter-attack. When you look at their squad, and what we're working with, we had six on the bench today. With young Tommy (Scott) from the academy, what a great moment that is for him. Rhys Browne and Jake Gray had to join the field because of our two forwards, but when you're fighting up against that, and you put on that performance as a manager, and certainly for the football club, you feel very proud.

CS: The penalty was how the goal came, but no arguments about it - a clear foul on Sam Surridge?

DW: We broke very very quick, and that is what we tried to do. We tried to exploit their two centre-halves. Their two full-backs wanted to push forward. We left three up against them, and it was quite bold and it was quite brave, and it paid off. When I look at the first one, it was definitely a penalty. The first appeal ...

CS: The push on Surridge?

DW: Definitely. So it was two penalties, but it just shows how quickly we break. You could see that in the last three games.

CS: Otis is full of confidence, and it was a good penalty from him.

DW: I think that when you look at individuals, being young and only just being together for a short period of time, I look at what Lee Johnson has created in a short space of time with the younger players he had last year, and the experiences that they went through, I think with the experience it builds mindsets. What I can see is that every experience that these players are going through - Omar Sowunmi in particular; I thought his performance was very very good today. These players are growing, and when that happens, you grow in confidence and I think you can see that within the team, but they still have to show an athleticism and fitness. We've got both at the moment.

CS: In the second half, you had some more defending to do. How pleased were you with the defensive effort that helped you keep a clean sheet?

DW: I think that when you're a manager, and you look at the subs that are coming on, you're always a little bit aware of the quality that Nile Ranger, Jermaine McGlashan. You'd be over the moon if they joined this club.

CS: So pleased that you had to keep a clean sheet to win the game, and you did that.

DW: With the organisation, you could probably hear me throughout the game saying make sure you stick together and stay together, distances, stay compact, and it was very very disciplined. Certainly when we broke, I thought we could have scored three or four today.

Yeovil Town midfielder Jake Gray spoke to local journalist Chris Spittles, in an interview for BBC Somerset, after his side had beaten Southend United 1-0 in the FA Cup on Saturday 4th November 2017.

CS: Jake, back in the side today, playing against a team from a higher level, but you gave a great account of yourselves.

JG: Yes, I think that when you play teams from a higher league, you've got to put more into it, and show that you can compete with them, and I think that in the first half and the second half we did that. We were snapping into tackles and winning the ball back, and trying to counter on them. We gave a good account of ourselves.

CS: Their player on social media this week said they're in League One, and you're in League Two and I think the manager made you aware of that before the game, and aware of the comment that suggested that they should be able to just turn up and win.

JG: Yes, we all saw it, and the manager showed us that. We just wanted to put on a performance, and I think we've done that. He might think twice next time.

CS: In the first half in particular, you were totally dominant. You scored the one goal, and you could have scored more in that first half, couldn't you?

JG: Yes, I think we should have been a bit more clinical. We had the chances, and we were a bit unlucky, but that will come maybe next week. I think we gave a good account of ourselves and we can take that forward into forthcoming games.

CS: It was different in the second half as you had more defending to do. But you did it very well and you kept the clean sheet, which was all important.

JG: Yes, I think we've been really strong at home this year. Smithy (Nathan Smith) and Omar Sowunmi at the back headed everything away, and the full-backs do what they do best. Tom James got a few off the line there. But we know that we've got forwards going the other way, and we can counter-attack teams. That's our strength. So it was a good game.

CS: How much did you enjoy it down the right-hand side during that first half, with you and Rhys Browne, and with Bevis. You caused them a lot of problems down that side, didn't you?

JG: Yes, I said after the game to Rhys that we countered really well, and hopefully we can take that forward. But I really enjoyed it. We were on a good wavelength today, and long may that continue.

And what part of my reply to your post "is so dificult to understand?" Saturday's FA Cup defeat is history now.Tomorrow's game gives us an early chance to make amends for it.

(Don't be so literal.You know very well what I meant).
Alternatively try breaking the mould and admit when you are wrong.- I appreciate that is an alien concept to you.

Who was our player on social media saying we would win? I didn't see that anywhere?

Who was our player on social media saying we would win? I didn't see that anywhere?

Yeah interested to know, especially as we had already lost to League 2 opposition in the League Cup this season i'm surprised one of our players would make such claims?

I'd be happy to-if you could point out where I was "wrong".:winking:
Simple. You can’t “ put it right “ on Tuesday. If it’s not what you mean don’t type it and then repeat it , not difficult to understand. Don’t say three posts later not to take something literally, that’s just stupid

Simple. You can’t “ put it right “ on Tuesday. If it’s not what you mean don’t type it and then repeat it , not difficult to understand. Don’t say three posts later not to take something literally, that’s just stupid

I do apologise for my linguistic lapsus.I do hope you'll be able join the rest of us and get behind SUFC tonight, rather than take advantage of every opportunity to denigrate fellow Zoners who don't share your anti-Brown agenda and tiresomely (like you) come out of the woodwork after every defeat.At least you didn't start up a spurious thread for that purpose (unlike some) after the Yeovil game.COYBB.

Edit.I notice that Michael Turner used the same infelictous phrase-put things right-in his pre-match ifollow interview.Please don't have a pop at him for that tonight.

Last edited:
Back