• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Massimo Giovanni

Old Timer⭐⭐
My wife and daughter's are vegan now (last 2/3 weeks) following watching a few programmes about animal. dairy and fish products etc.
I am NOT.
I ask, is there a vegan on here? any recipe ideas that I can get to try with them?
Has anyone got a new, convincing and sound argument that I can use to persuade them that quality and moderation in selection and consumption of foodstuffs is a better way forward?

Ps I have gone ahead and ordered the huge turkey and beef joint from Marsh's Butchers of Wakering so I do need a bit of a dig out or I will be having turkey curry til Easter!

I used to work with a vegan years ago who survived on salad cream sandwiches. She wouldn't even eat vegetables because some twonk gave her a book that said veg felt being picked and screamed in boiling water ( I kid you not) Its a slippery path my friend, it will be milk is murder before you know it.

I used to work with a vegan years ago who survived on salad cream sandwiches. She wouldn't even eat vegetables because some twonk gave her a book that said veg felt being picked and screamed in boiling water ( I kid you not) Its a slippery path my friend, it will be milk is murder before you know it.

OK at present with vegetables but dairy products (and eggs) are off the menu. I have tried some of the soya substitutes and most are not my idea of a good dining experience.

OK at present with vegetables but dairy products (and eggs) are off the menu. I have tried some of the soya substitutes and most are not my idea of a good dining experience.

Try giving them vegetarian bacon, if that don't put them off nothing will. Its disgusting.

I ate some vegan sausage rolls at a works do once. They were lovely, better than the meat versions.

It's probably a phase, as it's a bugger to stick to - vegetarianism is tough enough, as I did that for 6 months and got roundly bored of egg or cheese sandwiches.

My wife and daughter's are vegan now (last 2/3 weeks) following watching a few programmes about animal. dairy and fish products etc.
I am NOT.
I ask, is there a vegan on here? any recipe ideas that I can get to try with them?
Has anyone got a new, convincing and sound argument that I can use to persuade them that quality and moderation in selection and consumption of foodstuffs is a better way forward?

Ps I have gone ahead and ordered the huge turkey and beef joint from Marsh's Butchers of Wakering so I do need a bit of a dig out or I will be having turkey curry til Easter!
My middle daughter is vegan and she does most of the cooking in our house and it's as good as if any other teenager was doing the cooking for you. She doesn't use websites any more but says Minimalist baker and Hot for food are worth a look.

I just had a very tasty lentil bolognese that she made. She comes up with some crazy things that actually work like scrambled tofu. Personally I love Linda McCartney's pulled pork burgers - really good texture. Oreos are vegan....lots of things are that you wouldn't expect.

Vegan Life festival at Alexandra Palace is where I first had vegan donner and vegan chorizo - next one is in Feb and 2 for 1 tickets if you buy today/tomorrow.

Almond milk much nicer than soya. Soya yoghurt is nice though.

The Railway Hotel in Southend has an extensive vegan menu, even Zizzi's have vegan pizza now.

I am NOT.

I haven't had hoisin duck for about 12 years - just had Linda McCartney version and everyone in my house from vegans to meat eaters is in love with it!

I ate some vegan sausage rolls at a works do once. They were lovely, better than the meat versions.

It's probably a phase, as it's a bugger to stick to - vegetarianism is tough enough, as I did that for 6 months and got roundly bored of egg or cheese sandwiches.

I was once at a party where the vegetarians raved about the sausage rolls.

The host confided in me that the labels had been mixed up and they all had eaten pork.

I'm not vegan but have made some pretty good vegan dishes. Coconut lentil chilli soup, for example.

I assume she never bothered to read the ingredients on the salad cream?

I'm not a vegan, but have a few friends that are, I spoke to them about any advice they could share.

They highly recommended the below website, for menu's and diet plans etc

https://www.hannahlouisenutrition.com/

Apparently they have a good email response time to any questions you might have. Anyway I hope it helps.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall did a good series on all things Veg a while ago and the companion book gets good reviews on Amazon -

River Cottage Veg Every Day!

I have always imagined HFW's rent a mate local fishermen, farmers, foragers etc. that are invited to the feast at the end of some episodes are told to get the f**k off his property the second the cameras stop rolling.

That should save a load of money in the long run, no more expensive leather shoes, handbags for a start.

Although the initial decimation of the wardrobes may get a bit pricey to replace, oh and wool as well.

Back