• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Harsh as they only look at the cheapest price for a ticket, and, as we all know, being a one price across the ground club, that puts us bottom. They really should include the most expensive priced ticket too to get a fairer comparison.

It is not at all harsh (except if you are talking about for Southend fans who struggle to pay it) and is a perfectly reasonable methodology for assessing the affordability of football. At other clubs if fans can't afford the more expensive tickets they have a choice to pay for the lowest price ticket. Southend don't offer their fans that option.

It's all to do with the forces of evil!

Or, the fact that 'RHB' started this thread on the general football forum and then seeing that two other threads had been started on 'chit-chat' he moved his thread to here, then back there and then here again.

It's actually quite a good thread. He wants to make his mind up if you ask me. Move or leave it, but don't muck people around.

It's actually quite a good thread. He wants to make his mind up if you ask me. Move or leave it, but don't muck people around.

We've had three different threads opened on the same topic. I merged two of them earlier (having not seen RHB's one) and now they are all in one happy place.

This is hardly 'mucking people about'.

more to the point, why was my original thread title changed?

It wasn't, the threads were merged and my title was amended.

It's all to do with the forces of evil!

Or, the fact that 'RHB' started this thread on the general football forum and then seeing that two other threads had been started on 'chit-chat' he moved his thread to here, then back there and then here again.

There was only one move, from general football forum to Chitchat.

Ah right. I thought there was only one move, but assumed I'd missed something, following 'Leoblue's' post.

We've had three different threads opened on the same topic. I merged two of them earlier (having not seen RHB's one) and now they are all in one happy place.

This is hardly 'mucking people about'.

It might be if you end up deleting the whole bloomin' thing! :winking:

It's problematic. I note that 18-24 years old fans are lessening in numbers at football grounds and the reason given is the cost. We accept the big Prem boys don't give a monkeys about gate money or even care too much for the 'Joe Blog' supporter, because their revenue streams are in merchandising, sponsorship and league payments. For clubs at the lower end, such as ours, the season tickets and gate receipts are a vital income.

You can watch some very entertaining games in a park for free or attend non-league matches for a comparative pittance. The truth is, however much it hurts, we have to pay for the pride and status of having a professional league club.

It's virtually impossible to compare league clubs, even if they are in the same league, as overheads, crowd numbers etc can be very different and the price of a ticket will reflect the clubs need.

I am sure if SKY were to share out the cash more evenly, then clubs would find it easier to survive and could reduce gate costs. However, they do nothing for nothing and the level of control over our clubs would undoubtedly increase. Football is already a corporate cash cow in the higher league but at least we have the ability, at our level, to still feel real affiliation and belonging within our club. Most prem supporters are 'plastic' fans that were never born or even lived anywhere near their favourite club but like to associate themselves with perceived success. Be a Blue, be true and accept that we have to dip in our pocket to see the club continue.

Yeah because that convinced Arsenal to reduce theirs :)

If Sky gave us more money it would end up in players and agents pockets, not fans.

It is not at all harsh (except if you are talking about for Southend fans who struggle to pay it) and is a perfectly reasonable methodology for assessing the affordability of football. At other clubs if fans can't afford the more expensive tickets they have a choice to pay for the lowest price ticket. Southend don't offer their fans that option.

Thats true, but what people are doing is looking at that table and coming to the conclusion we are the most expensive.

It does show that you can go to other clubs cheaper, but often they have a terrace, or the cheap seats are in terrible parts of the ground.

We should offer a cheaper ticket ourselves, but even so the comparison is a pretty narrow one. We dont offer the cheapest ticket out there, but we aren't the most expensive either. If you want to go to watch football in the main stand of any club, we do not come out as the most expensive. That table doesn't reflect that.

The fact if we just offered one restricted view seat next to the loos (or even worse, next to the food outlet :) ) at £5 a ticket we would suddenly become one of the cheapest in the league shows just how the table doesn't work in giving a realistic picture.

I pay less than what the table says any way, purely for being in the family stand so another thing not taken into account.

Im pretty sure anyone can buy a ticket for the south lower without a child present too, but those prices arent reflected in the table.

As for a comparison to show how pointles this table is I just checked a few other clubs matchday tickets. Using advanced prices with the purpose being able to get the cheapest tickets.

Bearing in mind if cost is a massive issue for people then a season ticket may not be an option in the first place.

Our advance tickets cost £22 a Family ticket for 1 an adult and child £22

Northamptons is £22 (family £22 + £10 for over 8s)
Shrewsbury £22 (family Stand is £26 for child and adult over 8 -so more than ours)
Wigan £25 +2 booking fee
MK Dons £22 (Family £22) (midweek special games £10)
Bradford £25 ( £10 with a flexicard whatever that is)
Fleetwood £17 standing/£19 sitting for members (£20 membership fee)
Bury £20 (Family £20 1a adult and child)

Bristol Rovers £16 standing / £19 sitting
Walsall £18.50
Portsmouth £23
Peterborough £21/23 depending on Cat A or B (£15 membership fee)
Doncaster £19/£22 (members/non members)
Oldham £18
Oxford £22 (Family £20 adult and £6 for 8 year old)

So according to that we offer cheaper matchday tickets then some and match others too, plus our family deal is better than most.

Last edited:
It's simple, in the current stadium it makes no sense.

IF we moved to Fossetts then it would make a lot of sense to do £249 adult. £199 students and OAPS. £129 Youth and £49 for under 16s.

We could hit the advertising hard and really push for 10k season cards. We wouldn't lose money.

At roots hall we are snookered.

Back