• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
Found some old reserve programmes from the early 90s- some of the names I'd not heard of before:

Mal Grayburn
Danny Sains
Neil Rowbury

any idea?

Danny Sains name is the only one which rings a slight bell. Maybe from refereeing local football at that time? Here around the Collymore era (but you'll know that from the programmes).

A quick search of the internet (whilst listening to interminable music on hold) suggests he might have played most recently for Ashford Victoria, taken part in triathlons and been involved in a successful Pie and Mash business in trendified Greenwich.

Found some old reserve programmes from the early 90s- some of the names I'd not heard of before:

Mal Grayburn
Danny Sains
Neil Rowbury

any idea?

Wonder if Sains played for Bury?
Sains Bury

*leaves*

I can't find any mention in the books. I did spot an S. Wild who was one unused sub. 1996 or so.

Aha! Found this...

"Kevin Keegan led Newcastle United to the Division One title, sealing the honour with a 7-1 win over Leicester ... Southend United ... Non-playing squad members: Mel Capleton; Daniel Sains; Michael Gonzaque, Declan Perkins; Jae Martin."

Mal / Marlon Grayburn played in the 90/91 ESC for us:

We drew in the final (AET) and then lost the replay to Orient.

Aah, the glory days, when we were genuine contenders in the Essex Senior Cup. It's a stark reminder of how far we have fallen.

Mal Grayburn
Danny Sains
Neil Rowbury

any idea?

Danny Sains and Neil Rowbury were youth team products in the early 90s the type of obscure players who never actually played for us but you still follow on linkedin or twitter and post links in ex-Shrimpers telling us what they are up to. They were probably in the team photo circa 1992/1993 maybe a year or two later for Rowbury.

Think Sains was a defender, with very short blond hair and Rowbury a midfielder with brown hair in curtains.

Dunno about Mal Grayburn. Maybe a youth who never got offered a pro deal.

Mal Grayburn
Danny Sains
Neil Rowbury

any idea?

Thats a bit weird !!!! . Yesterday i was in the boozer with a couple of mates who were asking me if i knew Neil Rowbury , as he played for Southend. I said i'd supported the Blues for 40 years but never heard of him.

They then went on to elaborate : He is a money market broker in London and works with my mates and has always told everyone he used to play for Southend. Well recently they hosted a celebrity charity day and Sir Trevor Brooking came over to meet them . Now apparantly Rowbury is one of the loudest characters you will meet but when someone pushed Sir Trev in Rowburys direction and said youve probably played against each other , the "EX Shrimper" went as quiet as a mouse and for the first time ever played down his football career! So im guessing he was a youth teamer but never made it through to the 1st team. But at least now we've heard of him !!!

Thats a bit weird !!!! . Yesterday i was in the boozer with a couple of mates who were asking me if i knew Neil Rowbury , as he played for Southend. I said i'd supported the Blues for 40 years but never heard of him.

They then went on to elaborate : He is a money market broker in London and works with my mates and has always told everyone he used to play for Southend. Well recently they hosted a celebrity charity day and Sir Trevor Brooking came over to meet them . Now apparantly Rowbury is one of the loudest characters you will meet but when someone pushed Sir Trev in Rowburys direction and said youve probably played against each other , the "EX Shrimper" went as quiet as a mouse and for the first time ever played down his football career! So im guessing he was a youth teamer but never made it through to the 1st team. But at least now we've heard of him !!!

this must be him!

http://www.huttonfc.com/team/under-11-blue-2/

In fairness to the Rowbury, would Trevor Brooking have ever played against any Southend players!

!CC-un-wBWk~$(KGrHqUOKnQEz37H1e5mBNNC+iP+pg~~_1.JPG

It's a bit small but is that Rowbury front row below Poole and Sains second row below Brett but above Jason Cook?

Danny Sains name is the only one which rings a slight bell. Maybe from refereeing local football at that time? Here around the Collymore era (but you'll know that from the programmes).

A quick search of the internet (whilst listening to interminable music on hold) suggests he might have played most recently for Ashford Victoria, taken part in triathlons and been involved in a successful Pie and Mash business in trendified Greenwich.
There is a Pie and Mash shop in Lakeside called Sains

Danny Sains works for a consruction company. If memory serves, he lives near Colchester and is a season ticket holder at West Ham. I delivered about 100 ton of tarmac chippings to a site and he was the guy backing me in. We got chatting and he mentioned he was on Southend's books.

!CC-un-wBWk~$(KGrHqUOKnQEz37H1e5mBNNC+iP+pg~~_1.JPG

It's a bit small but is that Rowbury front row below Poole and Sains second row below Brett but above Jason Cook?

Just found the 93/94 photo with names in Potted Shrimps: Rowbury is front row far left next to Andy Ansah. it's Jamie Southon between Steve Tilson and Christian Hyslop in the middle. Derek Payne not Jason Cook is next to Ansah in front of Southon.

Danny Sains is in the 92/93 team photo back row next to Sammy and Prior if you google it!

Just found the 93/94 photo with names in Potted Shrimps: Rowbury is front row far left next to Andy Ansah. it's Jamie Southon between Steve Tilson and Christian Hyslop in the middle. Derek Payne not Jason Cook is next to Ansah in front of Southon.

Oops, wrong midget.

Danny Sains is in the 92/93 team photo back row next to Sammy and Prior if you google it!

Ah yes, that's easier to see

s-l1600.jpg

Back