• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The cost of living in the south east

Many people our age and our parents bought houses with ordinary jobs. It is a basic right to be housed and for many young people no matter how they prioritise or how hard they work, they will never own a house under the current system.

I think you're misunderstanding, she's lucky to have had a reasonably well paid job at a young age but I recognise that she has also sacrificed the lifestyle that many young people choose to have to get what she wanted. You can probably count up to 10 the number of times she went out "properly" last year, she doesn't drink an awful lot and she is, like her mother (I'm afraid), probably far too sensible for her own good.

I absolutely agree about the changes that have happened in relation to earnings and mortgages, it's not right.

Back in 84 when I wanted a Mortgage, I had been regularly saving with Abbey National for over a year, but they turned us down, although we only wanted £15k.
Went to Dedmans Estate Agency, told them we wanted a house they had on offer, had £24k from sale of our Flat, which we had paid off the loan from which we brought it.
They said no problem, deals were done ( back then ) on the golf course with colleagues from Building Societies etc. We got the mortgage from Nationwide, although had never had an account with them!
Endowment over 20 years for £15k, which was paid off 13 years ago, although the Endowment failed to realise the amount initially stated. Wasn't bothered as lot of Endowments had a shortfall back then, mine didn't.
Paid £37,250 for 3 bedroomed semi detached corner plot, front & back garden facing South in St. Andrews Rd, Shoeburyness. Valued this March at £360,000. Madness!!!!!

I think you're misunderstanding, she's lucky to have had a reasonably well paid job at a young age but I recognise that she has also sacrificed the lifestyle that many young people choose to have to get what she wanted. You can probably count up to 10 the number of times she went out "properly" last year, she doesn't drink an awful lot and she is, like her mother (I'm afraid), probably far too sensible for her own good.

I absolutely agree about the changes that have happened in relation to earnings and mortgages, it's not right.

I understand what your saying OBL and I can assure you nobody can top me when it comes to making sacrifices to own property. So I admire your daughters efforts.

My point is young people should not feel 'lucky' to have a so called well paid job, in most cases they have worked very hard to get into that position in the first place. There are many who's wages will just not buy them a house in the South East. The fact that our public sector workers are treated this way is a disgrace. Council houses should be provided by the people who work in casualty, teach in some of the toughest areas, police our cities and towns and dare I say fight fires etc.

That would also reduce prices for those that work in the private sector as it would ease the housing shortage and give more work opportunities to the many young men who are punished because they aren't suited to remember lists of unimportant facts to gain exams.

Many off these vocational jobs are now struggling to recruit and keep staff in our area. My friends daughter has just quite her dream job of teaching 6 year olds in Rayleigh after just 2 years. She realised its far easier to sell a mortgage to a teacher than to be one. Why because she just wants the basic things that any honest working person should have.

Was in Spain last week for my missus' birthday (and beer sampling). Got speaking to a retired guy who lived on his own, in a one bedroom apartment & he pays €300 a month, which includes his council tax, water, electricity & gas bills.

Based on the current, rather low, exchange rate, His yearly outgoing on rent & bills stands at £3360. Pre-Brexit, the figure would have been around £2700. Whereas the South East of our country, that figure would be around £18,000

Now granted, he has the misfortune of living closer to Barna than the average person would like to, but on the plus side, his local does a pint of Estrella and a packet of Golden Wonder Bacon Bites for €1.30

There are many who's wages will just not buy them a house in the South East

Nail. On. Head.

I know plenty of people who simply couldn't afford to live alone, and the ones who do, are so skint they have to save up to be classed as poor.

If you're earning under 20k per year, you've got no chance of living on your own around this area.

The problem started, in my view, in the 80's when a mortgage was a standard 2.5x salary. Then it crept up to 3x. Then more. Now, I'm no economist but if there's more money available, the price goes up accordingly.

Let's say the average salary currently is £25,000. 2.5x = £62,500. Add deposit, you're looking at about £70,000 in current terms (if that made sense).

Now, say you could get 6x, that'd make £150,000 + deposit. cheap money = inflation, especially in the housing market.

A rather expensive divorce meant, at my age I would never be in a position to buy again, so renting is now my position.

In Shoebury I rented a new-ish house for £900 pm , up in Yorkshire a similar sized property is under £600 ---- my pensions are the same wherever I live.

I don't get to RH , only very rarely, but some things have to give. Mind you, I have learnt to play a mean ukulele.

PS My local football team Guiseley AFC have achieved something Southend haven't this year ---- they are through to the 2nd round of the FA Cup.

A rather expensive divorce meant, at my age I would never be in a position to buy again, so renting is now my position.

In Shoebury I rented a new-ish house for £900 pm , up in Yorkshire a similar sized property is under £600 ---- my pensions are the same wherever I live.

I don't get to RH , only very rarely, but some things have to give. Mind you, I have learnt to play a mean ukulele.

PS My local football team Guiseley AFC have achieved something Southend haven't this year ---- they are through to the 2nd round of the FA Cup.

Apart from missing Southend games what's the 3 biggest ups and downs beyond the rent saving? Is one being even further away from Barna ?

sssh Ken, all the southerners think it's grim oop north. Let's keep it on the down low, and hold on to our relatively low cost of living, our decent beer and our great countryside.

The problem started, in my view, in the 80's when a mortgage was a standard 2.5x salary. Then it crept up to 3x. Then more. Now, I'm no economist but if there's more money available, the price goes up accordingly.

Let's say the average salary currently is £25,000. 2.5x = £62,500. Add deposit, you're looking at about £70,000 in current terms (if that made sense).

Now, say you could get 6x, that'd make £150,000 + deposit. cheap money = inflation, especially in the housing market.

The demand side is probably as important as the supply side, when it comes to the housing issue we have.

Plus the rental market needs a massive overhaul.

Was in Spain last week for my missus' birthday (and beer sampling). Got speaking to a retired guy who lived on his own, in a one bedroom apartment & he pays €300 a month, which includes his council tax, water, electricity & gas bills.

Based on the current, rather low, exchange rate, His yearly outgoing on rent & bills stands at £3360. Pre-Brexit, the figure would have been around £2700. Whereas the South East of our country, that figure would be around £18,000

Now granted, he has the misfortune of living closer to Barna than the average person would like to, but on the plus side, his local does a pint of Estrella and a packet of Golden Wonder Bacon Bites for €1.30

My Mrs grew up in Spain and wants to go back, We are looking more and more into it, I'm starting to put things into place at work where I will be able to wok form home and fly into London 3-4 times a month. Our cost of living would halve!

Many people our age and our parents bought houses with ordinary jobs. It is a basic right to be housed and for many young people no matter how they prioritise or how hard they work, they will never own a house under the current system.

It's hard going for those that are first time buyers. Living at home a lot longer than we did means that money can be saved, but as OBL said, they need to prioritise and if going out every weekend on the lash is their priority, then they will never save. If they really wanted to save, they would. There are some low wage earners but there are plenty of 23/24 years old on 30k a year if not more and a couple on 60k a year can afford a 2 bed property in the Southend area.

There are of course those among us that own more than one house as they bought when houses were more affordable. They rent out their properties for a hefty fee, sometimes as much as a mortgage would be on the property. They could always reduce their rents to help the younger generation if they were that bothered about the younger generation being able to afford accommodation but why should they?

Haven't Guiseley also got a certain Kevan Hurst playing for them?

My Mrs grew up in Spain and wants to go back, We are looking more and more into it, I'm starting to put things into place at work where I will be able to wok form home and fly into London 3-4 times a month. Our cost of living would halve!

Spain or China, make your mind up :winking:

Ha! My local doesn't do Golden Wonder Bacon Bites (or anything like it), so I'm guessing your "retired guy" must live down South.:smiles:

Back