• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He must be mad, that is one big job to get that side back into the prem, needs 3 seasons to do that at least, if he gets the time to do it.

I bet Phil will say in his next "PB Diaries" post that he is frantically checking if he has any Welsh ancestry and having a DNA test to confirm his Welsh roots. :winking:

Sunderland must still have some cash in the bank.

He renewed his contract as national boss of Wales until after the 2018 World Cup, that was back in 2016 and was reportedly on £232,000 a year then, I can only guess his wage was slightly increased more when he extended it at the time of their success during the Euro's.

I like him as a person, but he's managerial stats aren't the best. In fact, their pretty terrible. He's generally lost more games than he has won.

IMO, a very risky appointment for the chairman to make, given he's past record, he might just be able to keep them out of the relegation zone, but I can't see him doing much more than that. Given the wages I presume he is on, I can't see much more money in the transfer window either, and would imagine they will be in a similar place next season.

Last edited:
I bet Phil will say in his next "PB Diaries" post that he is frantically checking if he has any Welsh ancestry and having a DNA test to confirm his Welsh roots. :winking:

I was thinking the exact same thing!!

Plenty of material for AndyT in this, as well as / Rangers Chocolate ankles / Timlins cupcakes / Ron's new stadium plans / the weekends results etc.

No pressure Andy...

He'll be getting Fred and young Fred in as a joint strike force!

Maybe Wales will keep his job open for 18 months and then he can go back to it after the tintac from the Black Cats and in time for the 2020 Euros?

Coleman rode the Gareth Bale bandwagon magnificently. I reckon his stock will be appreciably lower come 2020.

I can see Sunderland being in League 1 before they get back in the Premiership. An astonishingly difficult club to manage in recent years - very dysfunctional.

The Sunderland job could actually be a win-win for most managers.

You get appointed on a decent whack. You give it a go. Get sacked with compo pay-off. Kerching!

Then apply for other jobs, where you can use the excuse that it's a dysfunctional club that's impossible to manage. Just look at their record with managers and so on....

Take the last few managers.

Moyes - Got another Premier League job
Allardyce - Ditto
Advocaat - Now an International Manager (and makes money from his Christmas drinks range)
O'Neill - Ditto (apart from the drinks bit. Though he does own a bar in Southend)
Poyet - Still in Management
Bruce - Championship Manager

Yep, I'd take the Sunderland job.

Last edited:
The Sunderland job could actually be a win-win for most managers.

You get appointed on a decent whack. You give it a go. Get sacked with compo pay-off. Kerching!

Then apply for other jobs, where you can use the excuse that it's a dysfunctional club that's impossible to manage. Just look at their record with managers and so on....

Take the last few managers.

Moyes - Got another Premier League job
Allardyce - Ditto
Advocaat - Now an International Manager (and makes money from his Christmas drinks range)
O'Neill - Ditto (apart from the drinks bit. Though he does own a bar in Southend)
Poyet - Still in Management
Bruce - Championship Manager

Yep, I'd take the Sunderland job

Unlikely you would get the call though Andy, but you never know.:smiles:

This could send Phil into a deep depression - rejected again he will be so disappointed................

Shame for Wales, end of a great era maybe. He will probably keep Sunderland up, it is easier to go to a struggling club, you only have to move up a few places and you are considered a hero.

Back