• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Talking to some Portsmouth fans on the train they think we were the better side. When I showed them marks of 3 on the zone for some of our players they laughed.

football fans aren't they wonderful ��

Didn't we sign a good penalty taker recently that scored 3 in one game?

[video=youtube;W766H5gql8g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W766H5gql8g[/video]

Just back, via the chippy....support was full on, must been relatively near Surrey Shrimper, it was bouncing :clap:.

Ok, the game, as stated before ...a horrible opening 5-10 mins, no-one on their game..came into it after a couple of close Pompey shaves....penalty - Jonny Wilkinson would've proud of...why Josh Wright hasn't been nominated before???

2nd half, fell behind to another Pitman header....chopping around with subs on to try and play catch-up...lots of dead moments though and to be honest, never really looked like hitting the onion bag.

Ok - Oakley & Turner
Sad - Poor old Nile, grafted hard 1st half, penalty as mentioned above, he either ran out of steam, or the penalty miss stuck in his head.
Oooh dear - Kightly, must try harder...frustrating to watch.

McL - made a good impression

Grim ride home on the train.....off to pub

On the train back home. We were underwhelming rather than awful, the penalty miss killed us but why do we celebrate getting awarded them? Might as well celebrate a long throw for all the good it does us. Anyway, turner was class, wow.
But how we were trying to play? What formation was that? How were we trying to score? No identity, no game plan. Some poor decisions today

A classic example of why having the better players doesn't mean you have the better team. We were in this game until the goal went in but at that point our heads dropped and we never looked likely to recover. We're also very huff and puff in the final third with no real idea how to put an attack together - not too surprising when the personnel and formation change every 45 mins. I share the view of some others that there's enough quality in the current squad for us to be playing better but we're lacking a bit of bite in midfield which might be solved by Timlin if we take him out of the back 4.

Oxley 7
White 6
Turner 6
Ferdinand 6
Timlin 5
Wright 6
Leonard 7
Kightly 5
Cox 6
Ranger 7
Robinson 6

Looking at that team there's too many square pegs in round holes for me - I'm not surprised they don't gel when they are all doing a bit here and a bit there. Was disappointed to see Ranger taken off if the substitution was tactical - I take the view that whatever the question McLaughlin is not the answer.

In fairness to Portsmouth I thought they played it well, especially considering we probably had the better players. They've picked the right manager for this league in Kenny Jackett and they looked like one of his sides - well organised and likely to pick up points. Their 2 centre halves were particularly good - one of whom was a striker they signed from Dagenham recently according to a couple of their fans I was chatting too. It's not all about big names, chaps.

An incredibly frustrating afternoon yet again

A game we should never have lost, a draw would have been about right. Once again we were all left scratching our heads with PBs team selection. We apparently played a diamond with Ranger and Theo upfront. Theo did ok and was unlucky not to score with a great shot finger tipped round the post. Ranger again woeful and epitomised by an awful penalty miss.

Kightly and Wright played left and right of the diamond and tried unsuccessfully to make things happen and Leonard had one of his worst games of the season

At the back White and Timlin had little cover in front of them and Turner and Anton actually did well. The one time Pitman one a header he scored!

For me the formation again was wrong, we lacked any width in the side and all our play was narrow. Only when Macca came on did we have any width and then later Mcglashan

So once again we have lost a game we shouldn't have and to a bang average opposition. Get Brown out and bring in Nathan Jones from Luton!

fans again brilliant. I believe that was Pompey biggest gate of the season and biggest away following this season. Despite comments by Pompey fans that they couldn't hear us, we sang and got behind the team non stop

Didnt see the game, so have to be carefull what i say. So all i will say is 1 0, no goals again. We wont lose by a big score under PB, but unless he can get these forwards, or anybody to score some goals, then look forward to nil nils, or 1 0 either way.
We will and we have. Have you forgotten about Rotherham, Doncaster and Wigan?

Well if he is, it didn't show in today's performance. Whatever you can accuse him of, he couldn't be accused of not trying today.
yep at times in the first half he looked the only interested player at times and our only threat going forward.

Well if he is, it didn't show in today's performance. Whatever you can accuse him of, he couldn't be accused of not trying today.

Really??? There were five of us in a car today and all agreed that Ranger was a waste of space again today. Let's face it he has been poor since being released from prison He may still come good of course and I hope he does, but at the moment our strike force as a whole are badly out of form. Pitman had one chance today and scored his 12th of the season, brilliant header. Our whole starting line up has scored collectively 14 goals. Says all you need to know

An incredibly frustrating afternoon yet again

A game we should never have lost, a draw would have been about right. Once again we were all left scratching our heads with PBs team selection. We apparently played a diamond with Ranger and Theo upfront. Theo did ok and was unlucky not to score with a great shot finger tipped round the post. Ranger again woeful and epitomised by an awful penalty miss.

Kightly and Wright played left and right of the diamond and tried unsuccessfully to make things happen and Leonard had one of his worst games of the season

At the back White and Timlin had little cover in front of them and Turner and Anton actually did well. The one time Pitman one a header he scored!

For me the formation again was wrong, we lacked any width in the side and all our play was narrow. Only when Macca came on did we have any width and then later Mcglashan

So once again we have lost a game we shouldn't have and to a bang average opposition. Get Brown out and bring in Nathan Jones from Luton!

fans again brilliant. I believe that was Pompey biggest gate of the season and biggest away following this season. Despite comments by Pompey fans that they couldn't hear us, we sang and got behind the team non stop

Yeah a bunch of about 100 who for some reason were all sat right over in the corner. I was two blocks along and could barely hear any noise at times other than the drum.

Had they gone in the middle the noise would have been better.

**** poor performance. **** poor facilities at fratton park. Had ran out of burger 20 mins before KO.

The selection and formation was all wrong AGAIN!

Not good enough at all.

I'd like to see a new manager come in. We have very good players who are being undermanaged and undermined.

Brown and Coughlin have come as far as they can take us and appear to have run out of ideas.

I may be proved wrong as the season unfolds but I think we will finish lower mid table. With the squad we have that would be criminal.

We just don't have a clue how to attack sides.

I see Nathan Jones being mentioned. I mentioned him ages ago. His team is a joy to watch and just attack for fun. Scored 7 again today. We barely look like scoring 1!

Really??? There were five of us in a car today and all agreed that Ranger was a waste of space again today. Let's face it he has been poor since being released from prison He may still come good of course and I hope he does, but at the moment our strike force as a whole are badly out of form. Pitman had one chance today and scored his 12th of the season, brilliant header. Our whole starting line up has scored collectively 14 goals. Says all you need to know

Completely agree. It's laughable that people praise him. His control today wasn't great. His movement and closing down was lacklustre. He did win a few headers but so what.

Don't even get me started on his penalty. Criminal for a pro footballer to not hit the target. He didn't just miss he missed by about 5 ft.

I really wouldn't be bothered if he never played for the club again. Literally a waste of space on and off the pitch.

Our tactics continually change so it is difficult for the players.

Pick a side with two forwards who stay forward including one who can win the ball in the air and outmuscle defenders and one who is quick and stays on the shoulders of defenders, two wide players with one out and out winger.

Fill centre midfield with one hard nut and one ball player and have at least one quick defender and one who wins most stuff in the air.

Oh and a decent keeper - Oxley seems to be fitting the bill these days......

It's not rocket science.

With the current squad, something like:

Oxley

White
Ferdinand
Turner
Demitriou

Mcglashan
Leonard
Wordsworth
Timlin

Ranger
Cox

Subs

Smith
Hendrie
Yearwood
McLaughlin
Fortune
Ba
Kightly

Today:

Oxley was excellent.........

Everyone else put a shift in but there doesn't appear to be a lot going on at the training ground so we wasted a lot of posession.

There should be a named penalty taker and no-one else intervenes.

Where's the strong management?

Marks:

Oxley 8

White 7
Ferdinand 7
Turner 7
Timlin 7

Kightly 5
Lenny 6
Wright 6

Robinson 6
Ranger 5