• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Carl Connors

Fantastic turnout today, est 250-300, Crem was heaving inside & out, 3 deep at each side. Saw Cricko outside, but couldn't get through crowd to speak!.
R.I.P. Carl dear friend for 52+ years. Sure you'll create havoc 'up there'!.x

Service was perfect, respectful but also off the wall, he would have loved it. A few of us Sutton lads wanted to drift around bars in town that we used to haunt as teenagers and raise a glass to a wonderful pal, but we got stuck in the Aristocrat, got pie-eyed and reminisced about the chaos we used to cause, I'm sure Carl Christopher Connors would have approved. Loved you Carl, thanks for the golden memories.

Last edited:
Yes it was a really nice funeral. Everyone singing ''Don't worry, about a thing'' Bob Marley's Three little birds, was just great. Not been well lately, but I even managed to stay to the end at Bellini's. So many friends and faces from the past. Well done to Carl's family for a fitting tribute. There's a small piece on page 9 of the echo today.

Here is a photo of some ex Belfairs Leigh lads taken about 1975. Carlos went through many styles. This was his viking look.
380437_323399621005900_894377358_n.jpg

Steve Gafney, Dave Clarke, Doug Graver and the great Carl Connors.

On the second coach trip to Derby after our run in with Swindon at the services. Police were chasing our coach down the motorway, so being the masters of disguise we all swopped jumpers. I was sitting next to Steve Gafney who had swopped with Carl. Steve had a jumper that drowned him and he had to watch his being stretched all over the place by Carl's over developed Stretch Armstrong body. They looked hilarious when the police came on to search the coach.

If you remember,they came i with a Swindon fan,looking for someone who started it...with a beard and long hair,,
As he and the police came to the back of the coach,i got Carl to sit on my lap,so as the Swindon fan past us,i kept Carls body between his eyes and and my face.
If you remember,the only person to get a "tug" was Billy .MU..who they took of the coach,asked for his details etc then let back on.
he had a beard!! He was not happy
A real funny story was later,when sir Carl and myself was arrested in the Derby end,i might write about that later.
But do miss the bloke like mad

I remember Carl from the 70's, sad to read of his demise far to young. He'll be causing mayhem with Jaffa again somewhere!

RIP Carl

I remember Carl from the 70's, sad to read of his demise far to young. He'll be causing mayhem with Jaffa again somewhere!

RIP Carl
Jaffa was alright the last time I saw him , when a load of Old Leigh Com went to his wedding last year .

What has his alcohol intake got to do with anything. He wasn't driving so why bring that up.

Pretty standard when considering accidental death I think, implying that judgement may be impaired. Sad that it's inconclusive, not nice at all for the family.

I would expect nothing less from Carl Christopher. As in life, in death he has confused the powers that be, and not for the first time has left them scratching their heads in bewilderment. Carl had this wonderful thing called life sussed from a very early age, and was his own man right till the very end. Carl Christopher Connors...I salute you.

Last edited:
You Could not have written that better
,my old mate.....all very true...RIP mucker

Last time I saw Carl was about two weeks before he went , I knew about his interest in kyaks and canoes and he knew about my interest in The Cockleshell Heroes and my trips down to Southsea where they trained , he said he would love to see where they lived and go into the pubs they drank in , so we agreed we would go down to Southsea for a weekend in the spring , sadly we will not do that trip now , RIP Carl .

Last time I saw Carl was about two weeks before he went , I knew about his interest in kyaks and canoes and he knew about my interest in The Cockleshell Heroes and my trips down to Southsea where they trained , he said he would love to see where they lived and go into the pubs they drank in , so we agreed we would go down to Southsea for a weekend in the spring , sadly we will not do that trip now , RIP Carl .

Si, you can do it yourself, or take a few mates for a Carl Kayak Weekend.

I am sure a few of the Leigh Comm lads would go.

Back