• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I know this is now an established fact for many of you. But do you rally believe the Chairman of Sunderland would trawl through local news websites like the Echo to see who might be interested.

Same as the England job if he really thought he might have a chance he would have been talking to his mate big Sam rather than talking like any other fan about the 'dream job'

Nope, and nowhere in my post did I say that I thought that. The crux of my argument is that it's unprofessional and marginally disrespectful to your current employers to drop these types of comments into the media.

FWIW, I don't think Sunderland (or any other Championship/Prem/international team) would touch PB with a barge pole at present.

I doubt it. When I Jokingly asked PB if he was going to Sunderland he said No straight away.

Chris Phillips slipped the question into a conversation knowing full well how PB would answer. Well done Chris you got your Headline and a thread with 30 pages on here and it can be used on every other thread as well.

I'm amazed (well not really) how upset fans claim to be over their mangers comments on TV, radio or in the Echo. In the funny world of football. Other fans at other clubs want their manger sacked for not showing enough passion after a defeat etc.

How can you defend that nonsense he spouted last night? His comments are divisive to the squad and therefore the ultimate well being of the club. This wasn't just some routine criticism of some players - it was a childish rant of an egomaniac who didn't see the result go his way. I don't dislike Brown but for some time I have questioned whether we couldn't do better.. Last night made up my mind.

That wasn't passion last night... it was a major and serious lack of professionalism

Nope, and nowhere in my post did I say that I did believe that. The crux of my argument is that it's unprofessional and marginally disrespectful to your current employers to drop these types of comments into the media.

FWIW, I don't think Sunderland (or any other Championship/Prem/international team) would touch PB with a barge pole at present.

Why is it then that the people who are so desperate to rid our famous club from the disaster that is PB, are outraged by the possibility of him leaving on his own terms.

Will you all feel cheated if you don't get the pleasure of a 200 page thread if he is sacked. Or a trip to the ground to become one of those sad people who mange to get their faces on Sky on such occasions.

How can you defend that nonsense he spouted last night? His comments are divisive to the squad and therefore the ultimate well being of the club. This wasn't just some routine criticism of some players - it was a childish rant of an egomaniac who didn't see the result go his way. I don't dislike Brown but for some time I have questioned whether we couldn't do better.. Last night made up my mind.

That wasn't passion last night... it was a major and serious lack of professionalism

I haven't heard the interview as I was queueing to get out of the soulless stadium at MK. More concerned that this might be my future at FF, whoever the manger will be come the time.

Or weather TefRon had a Frank exchange of views after Pompey & asked about value for money the club were getting?

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say this is the closest to the truth. There's no doubt that Brown has had decent financial backing this term, but that won't be in return for clinching a mid-table finish. I don't know as fact, but i'd imagine Ron has loosened the purse strings, after being personally guarenteed the team will be fighting for an automatic promotion spot, minimum, and/or a little cup run.

It definitely feels like Brown is under pressure. Luckily for him, Uncle Warchest isn't the type to pull the trigger prematurely though *insert jokes about the cleaner here*. I can't imagine Martin being too pleased right now. God knows what our wage bill is, but we've got to carry that for the next 2-3 years & if he has started to think Brown isn't the man for the job, he could want a replacement in sooner rather than later. Especially if the threat of dropping back to Lg2 became reality.

If he's lost the dressing room, Brown will be gone within a matter of weeks. If he's still got support of the dressing room, then he'll carry on. For now.

Why is it then that the people who are so desperate to rid our famous club from the disaster that is PB, are outraged by the possibility of him leaving on his own terms.

Will you all feel cheated if you don't get the pleasure of a 200 page thread if he is sacked. Or a trip to the ground to become one of those sad people who mange to get their faces on Sky on such occasions.

Firstly, I'm an individual and cannot comment on behalf of the whole fanbase. For me though Rigsby, I wouldn't shed a tear if he left on his own terms. What does frustrate me is his lack of professionalism and etiquette in some (not all) of his media escapades whilst employed by Southend United.

As an aside, I'm sure you have some very valid and insightful views about various SUFC topics and I enjoy reading some of your posts. However, your sometimes flippant and glib replies often don't project them in the best light.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say this is the closest to the truth. There's no doubt that Brown has had decent financial backing this term, but that won't be in return for clinching a mid-table finish. I don't know as fact, but i'd imagine Ron has loosened the purse strings, after being personally guarenteed the team will be fighting for an automatic promotion spot, minimum, and/or a little cup run.

It definitely feels like Brown is under pressure. Luckily for him, Uncle Warchest isn't the type to pull the trigger prematurely though *insert jokes about the cleaner here*. I can't imagine Martin being too pleased right now. God knows what our wage bill is, but we've got to carry that for the next 2-3 years & if he has started to think Brown isn't the man for the job, he could want a replacement in sooner rather than later. Especially if the threat of dropping back to Lg2 became reality.

If he's lost the dressing room, Brown will be gone within a matter of weeks. If he's still got support of the dressing room, then he'll carry on. For now.

Last season it was 13th in L1.

With the promotions and relegations L1 is now stronger financially than last year so without any wage increase we would slip further down the L1 wage bill table.

We have of course signed the likes of Kightly and Turner but have less players in the squad and no loan players to pay for either.

Not sure about that as I had heard that the dressing room was split before the season even started.

Firstly, I'm an individual and cannot comment on behalf of the whole fanbase. For me though Rigsby, I wouldn't shed a tear if he left on his own terms. What does frustrate me is his lack of professionalism and etiquette in some (not all) of his media escapades whilst employed by Southend United.

As an aside, I'm sure you have some very valid and insightful views about various SUFC topics and I enjoy reading some of your posts. However, your sometimes flippant and glib replies often don't project them in the best light.

Sorry you see them that way, I personally prefer people speaking frankly/straight/honest etc.

It would of course be a much easier life to slag than defend on the zone. Many of my friends/family think I'm mad to even come on here because of the way people are. They have stopped using the zone due to the slagging/anger/hate that some have towards SUFC. I find that a real shame.

To give you an example I had PM this morning Telling me how PB was a fraud etc. Better than that I had also been conned by that other scoundrel....Tilson.....Apparently he was lucky and it was all down to others, found out at Lincoin etc

Fortunately for me I have far more important things to worry about than what some so called fan thinks of me, or indeed what any manger might say during a radio interview.

With the promotions and relegations L1 is now stronger financially than last year so without any wage increase we would slip further down the L1 wage bill table.

We have of course signed the likes of Kightly and Turner but have less players in the squad and no loan players to pay for either.

I can't imagine Cox was ever on low wages. And I'd imagine Ranger, Wordsworth & Lenny are on a decent figure too. We've got less players, sure, but we've certainly spent big this summer. Kightly, Ferdinand, Turner, Wright, Kiernan, Hendrie won't have come in cheap, and Macca signed an extension aswell. I can't believe we'd still be 13th.

Not sure about that as I had heard that the dressing room was split before the season even started.

It might well have been, I couldn't tell you. But if it was split, then that meant half of them were still in favour of Brown. If he's lost that remaining support, I can see Martin wielding the axe sooner rather than later.

Sorry you see them that way, I personally prefer people speaking frankly/straight/honest etc.

It would of course be a much easier life to slag than defend on the zone. Many of my friends/family think I'm mad to even come on here because of the way people are. They have stopped using the zone due to the slagging/anger/hate that some have towards SUFC. I find that a real shame.

To give you an example I had PM this morning Telling me how PB was a fraud etc. Better than that I had also been conned by that other scoundrel....Tilson.....Apparently he was lucky and it was all down to others, found out at Lincoin etc

Fortunately for me I have far more important things to worry about than what some so called fan thinks of me, or indeed what any manger might say during a radio interview.

Personally, I think Its good to see you back

You generally appear to have some inside information, so perhaps you can answer this; Has Ranger destabilised the squad? I know there was the Scrabble to take the penalty that Ranger missed and reading between the lines of what Wright said, it did not go down to well. Is PB reaping unwanted returns because of his decision to keep Ranger at the club and the negative effect it may have on other players? Was it even down to PB to keep him on? For the record I had no issue with Ranger staying and hoped he might come good but of course I don't know the backstory.

Just a couple of thoughts you may be able to clear up.

I can't imagine Cox was ever on low wages. And I'd imagine Ranger, Wordsworth & Lenny are on a decent figure too. We've got less players, sure, but we've certainly spent big this summer. Kightly, Ferdinand, Turner, Wright, Kiernan, Hendrie won't have come in cheap, and Macca signed an extension aswell. I can't believe we'd still be 13th.

It might well have been, I couldn't tell you. But if it was split, then that meant half of them were still in favour of Brown. If he's lost that remaining support, I can see Martin wielding the axe sooner rather than later.

Without doubt our top end players are costing more this year. I don't know what position we are in this time but will let you know when I can :winking:

The problem was last summer many fans demanded an upgrade on solid pros like Atkinson and Thompson. That of course becomes a gamble. We cant afford up and coming established 25 year old better than them players. So the only route is players on their way down.

Last year Anton and Cox were along with Lenny all level for POTY for their different roles/skills they brought to our team.

Oxley had a sometimes over hyped shaky start but has proved to be as good as we could get to replace Bentley.

At Portsmouth and last night Turner proved he can be a good signing for us. Shame he started with an injury because that was pure gold for the told you so Brown out brigade but it happens, even to younger players.

Coker, Kyp, Hendrie and JW have all been out this term which is why we have conceded so many goals at the start. However for those of us who don't panic in life let alone over their football team, If we don't demand the manger out and 15 new players in January we might just enjoy the rest of the season.

You generally appear to have some inside information, so perhaps you can answer this; Has Ranger destabilised the squad? I know there was the Scrabble to take the penalty that Ranger missed and reading between the lines of what Wright said, it did not go down to well. Is PB reaping unwanted returns because of his decision to keep Ranger at the club and the negative effect it may have on other players? Was it even down to PB to keep him on? For the record I had no issue with Ranger staying and hoped he might come good but of course I don't know the backstory.

Just a couple of thoughts you may be able to clear up.

Sorry mate I don't do the gossip side on here. I stick to facts that I know are 95+ true, so cant comment.

What I will say is that like other clubs not every decision, including Ranger is purely down to the Manager. They work for a Chairman/board who set out the rules. Including who we might sign and why

I like the sound of Ron. People might have certain opinions about the business side of things but unlike other chairman he lets his managers pick the team (most) times etc. I'm sure PB would be the first to say he has had a lot worse than Ron. However he is the ultimate boss and he has the right to step in and make a decision. No doubt some of those decisions may surprise a few on here.

1) Phil walked into that by giving the interview straight after the final whistle whilst emotions were running high. CP didn't dupe him and is simply doing what his employers pay him to do.

Just to help on the debate, I think the interview was conducted by BBC Essex Sport.

I haven't heard the interview as I was queueing to get out of the soulless stadium at MK. More concerned that this might be my future at FF, whoever the manger will be come the time.

If you get a chance to listen to it online I really think you should. Sadly I haven't found it anywhere yet to post a link. Hearing it yesterday was a real shock, far more than reading Chris Phillips' short transcript.

It's not about liking him. He could be the most arrogant prick ever , but if he does a good job then so be it.

My problem with Brown is that he believes himself to be premier league quality. He is not. He is arrogant without the tools to back his arrogance up.

A bad craftsman blames his tools. Brown signed the players that he pressured Ron into sanctioning and now blames them.

If they are not up to the job he is to blame.

If they are not following his instructions, then it would suggest that he is either not getting his point across or the players are not following orders.

It's a results business and personally, with the players we have we should be much higher.

I don't like Brown and never have. Whilst he was getting results I suffered his giant ego and lack of respect for his players. This year he has his best squad and yet still plays players out of position and picks different formations every week that simply don't work.

He favours players regardless of their performance. This just isn't on.

I don't think a change in manager would necessarily bring about a change in form, but i think it may improve moral on the pitch and off of it.

For me it's not about bringing a change in form but ending the short termism and adopting a longer term focus. This is a team on the downslide. If they don't get promoted this season* they aren't going to next season either. They are past their sell-by date and a major rebuild is needed.

Spoiler:  
Spoiler: they aren't

Promotion cant be the only acceptable outcome every season.

The aim every year will to be promoted or there's no point turning up but I never expected us to get promoted last season so cant say the season was a failure, especially as it was an improvement on the year before. I had far more expectations this year than last, Id certainly say not making the play offs this season would be a failure after the investments made in the summer.

Promotion isn't the only acceptable outcome, but it's the only peg Brown has got left to hang on because of his utterly abysmal cup form (forget a cup run - Brown hasn't won an FA Cup match for 4 years and through his entire stint has NEVER won a League Cup match) and negligent disregard for building for the future.

There's more to a successful season than 'just' promotion. Let's say we finish 16th but have some of the youngsters e.g. Yearwood, Ba, Wabo instead of some of the current senior players ready for next season. Let's say we have financial stability. Let's say we have the new stadium actually under way. I'd call that collective a successful season.

:thumbsup:
Have two of Bwomono, Yearwood, Bridge, Ba etc established as first team regulars and another couple playing regularly off the bench or when players are injured and even without the stadium that's progress.

Instead we've got the oldest team in the division and our only starter under the age of 27 (and the only one worth a transfer fee) asked for a move and is out of contract in the summer.

The likes of Ferdinand, Cox, Fortune, Turner and Kightly - just aren't going to be better players next year or the year after as they peaked many years ago and are already struggling to recapture their prime to be the player they once were. For them the only was is down. They may be able to play at this level for a few more years but they aren't going to improve. So where is this team going to get better? That's exactly half of last night's outfield starting line-up that are definitely in decline. If you then look at the rest Timlin and White are going to be a couple of years past 30 too, with many suggesting that Timlin is already in terminal decline. Demetriou's 30. McGlashan's turns 30 later this season. Wordsworth and Robinson turn 30 next season. Leonard is off in January or the end of the season and Ranger's going to be sacked sooner or later.

Whoever inherits this from Brown is just inheriting a mess. There are no long term pieces to build from, no pieces to trade (except Leonard, who he inherited and is now out of contract) to build a warchest from which to rebuild. This side has two years tops left in the division. Because of the total failure to rebuild whoever takes over from Brown has a major job on their hands to keep this team up.

Like I said brown the worst manger for getting the best out players ! How much more can we take .
Now for positive
I would like GC to have r un at being manager ,iam really impressed with his way ,be worth ago if brown goes .

You heard it first from me first thing Graham would do would put jack bridge number 10

Back