• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Impressed Bournemouth so much they didnt want him?

I like how you admit on one hand he gave one youngster a 'golden ticket', then criticise him for not giving another one a chance due to sticking with has beens. (our central midflield is made up of 2 28 year olds and a 25 year old, so not even sure where that comes from)

Its possible Brown just doesn't think Bridge is that good.

I have to question the ambition of any player who remains loyal to the club.

If I was offered even a slight pay increase to play at the same level or above I would be off with a car full of anything that wasn't bolted to the floor.

I have to question the ambition of any player who remains loyal to the club.

If I was offered even a slight pay increase to play at the same level or above I would be off with a car full of anything that wasn't bolted to the floor.

True, but by the same count supporters can also choose not to think of any player that shoots off at the first opportunity with a lot of affection.

I dont have any ill feeling towards him for doing it so wont be booing him either.

I'm just grateful that I actually got to see one of our best youth products play for us. They are normally snapped up early on without us ever seeing them (Hayden).

I'm just pleased I got to see a very talented player that was moulded by our very own outstanding academy. The fact he went on to a bigger club doesn't leave me with ill feeling. I was pleased for him and the academy staff who helped him to become the player he is.

Don’t blame him for leaving us- much more money-but league one player at most-doesn’t always start for Oxford and gets taken off if he does.Like Bentley(I much prefer Oxley) he was grossly overrated by mugs on Shrimperzone .

Impressed Bournemouth so much they didnt want him?

I like how you admit on one hand he gave one youngster a 'golden ticket', then criticise him for not giving another one a chance due to sticking with has beens. (our central midflield is made up of 2 28 year olds and a 25 year old, so not even sure where that comes from)

Its possible Brown just doesn't think Bridge is that good.

Bridge is a winger so central midfield has nothing to do with it . The players i was referring to that Brown will no doubt pick ahead of him on the right wing is Kightly , McGlashan + Robinson --( all about 30 ish ) all who have done very little in that position all season. I'm happy with McLaughlin on the left wing if he's fit enough. If you had ever been to watch training or watch a reserve match maybe you would have some idea how good Jack Bridge actually is , given the chance.
Even Graham Coughlin admits he is one of the best players at the club yet the main man Brown refuses to play him for some reason.

Don’t blame him for leaving us- much more money-but league one player at most-doesn’t always start for Oxford and gets taken off if he does.Like Bentley(I much prefer Oxley) he was grossly overrated by mugs on Shrimperzone .

Look on the bright side. If those mugs at Brentford keep playing him we will earn money from that.

Bridge is a winger so central midfield has nothing to do with it . The players i was referring to that Brown will no doubt pick ahead of him on the right wing is Kightly , McGlashan + Robinson --( all about 30 ish ) all who have done very little in that position all season. I'm happy with McLaughlin on the left wing if he's fit enough. If you had ever been to watch training or watch a reserve match maybe you would have some idea how good Jack Bridge actually is , given the chance.
Even Graham Coughlin admits he is one of the best players at the club yet the main man Brown refuses to play him for some reason.

I have seen him play average for the reserves and in the Check-a-trade v Reading etc. Didn't exactly shine at Billericay. As other young players have already proved if you show your good enough you will get the chance.

Payne has made 23 appearances for Oxford (started 21)and has 6 goals and 9 assists - not many of our team (sorry none) can boast those stats! Yes he has been subbed but creative players often are late in games! He's still young and I would be amazed if he doesn't play again in the Championship, I like Oxley but Bentley is not exactly struggling either, playing consistently in the Championship - bet he's gutted he left!!!

I'm more annoyed at the club as to how/why we let his contract run down

We didn't, he wanted to move on. That's why he sacked his agent 1 year before he left and signed up with an aggressive well known for getting a move type of agent.

I know many of you think these poor little innocent cherubs are exploited by such agents but many are only following their clients instructions. If they don't there binned.

The fact is its a ruthless business and many players have regretted not taking their chance. Look at Tilly. I don't begrudge JP for having a go and remember the same people who will be booing on Saturday took shear delight in mocking Jason Williams when we released him.

There is very little loyalty from either side when it comes to the beautiful game. Look how some fans have turned on Timlin for the crime of being the reserve, reserve at LB. A man who scored for us in the Play-off 2nd leg in scrum cap. Just 4 days after receiving a head injury which would have seen most people miss the next game as a fan let alone player.

I'll welcome him back, he wanted to test himself at a higher level and made that perfectly clear while continuing to give of his best. Much as Bentley also did last season and much as Lenny is this season. Absolutely no problem with that.

Are you sure? I thought he was a central midfielder in the same mould as PAyne? Every article I can find describes him as an attacking midfielder, why dont they call him a winger? Even Football Manager has him as central, not that FM is overly accurate. And if he is a winger why did you bring him in to the discussion as comparison with Jack Payne!?

Even so, Mclaughlin, Robinson and McGlashan are all in their 20's, 28 and 29 being the oldest which is at their peak, only Kightly is "old", and I wouldnt be dropping him for Bridge.

As for watching training or reserve matches, guess who does watch them and doesnt think he is good enough? Yeah the manager...

We gave Bridge the chance to move and he didnt get one, I didnt see a long list of clubs trying to snatch him away.

Last edited:
We didn't, he wanted to move on. That's why he sacked his agent 1 year before he left and signed up with an aggressive well known for getting a move type of agent.
Payne signed his first professional contract (only a 1 year) in July 2013 despite PB singing his praises, the club had long enough (3 year's) to decide whether to offer him an improvement/extension - only 2 year's if what you say is true.

Good player who provided genuine "out of your seat" moments at times, moved to a higher division and we get decent bunce for him, anyone who boos him is a ****ing moron!

The best reception I have ever seen for an ex player was for Chico Hamilton when he returned to Roots Hall when his then team Aston Villa played Southend in the 1st round of the FA Cup in Nov 71 , the whole of The North Bank singing his name .

I'll give the lad a good clap, always tried his best for us even when played out of position, always wish him goodluck were ever he ends up:thumbsup:

Good to read that people will not boo him,SUFC got good compensation for him,money ill spent of other recruits i would suggest , good luck to the lad ,i just hope he has a poor game against us thats all .

I'll give the lad a good clap, always tried his best for us even when played out of position, always wish him goodluck were ever he ends up:thumbsup:

Not sure that ever happened. Other players in mid-field have extra responsibilities if Payne is in the team. So for any manager there is a risk v reward equation when playing JP. The reward is fine in L1

It was PB who gave him more freedom, especially away from home, playing as a second striker and he started to score more goals.

In L1

Back