• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex CCC 2018

We are second in the league, though we have played the most games, but give me points any day over games in hand.
Only a bizzarre result versus Yorkshire stops us from being top, and I think that will be a one off game

I'd rather points than games in hand as well but had we lost this match - and it was very close - we'd have been bottom rather than third (Somerset have enough bonus points to put them in second).

Let's hope that Yorks was a one-off. Things are going to get tougher as we're about to lose Cook at the top of the order (and potentially Porter and/or Lawrence) and Browne has a broken finger. I'd love us to repeat last year's unexpected success but I wouldn't want to bank on it. There will probably be a few teams who are in championship and relegation battles simultaneously.

Rough day in the ODC today. 140-5. Hope our bowlers are up to snuff.

Bopara is in and he owes us a good innings:thumbsup:

He's currently batting against Hants.

It's his partner who's more due a score this season though: tendo's highest score this season is 34:sad:

4 v MCC
14* v Cambridge Uni
14, 25 v Lancs
18, 34 v Yorks
1, 4 v Worcs
6* v Middlesex
22 v Bristol

Hopefully the skipper comes good today.

We're 203/4 after 35 overs.

ps Shouldn't Zaidi have come in here?

white ball = meh for me. I'd be happy to just stay up this season, though I'm more about having a nice time watching cricket these days so I actually like the grounds that aren't big stadiums

ROYAL LONDON ONE-DAY CUP

Essex - 313 all out

Chopra 160
Bopara 73

Somerset - 273 all out

Snater 5 for 60
Wagner 3 for 71

Essex win by 40 runs

ROYAL LONDON ONE-DAY CUP

Glamorgan 200 all out

S Cook 36 - 0
Porter 29 - 4
Wagner 44 - 1
Coles 41 - 3
Bopara 42 - 2

Essex 201 for 1

Chopra 98 not out
Wheater 88
Westley 11 not out

Essex win by 9 wickets.

I had a decent bet on Essex to win one of the OD trophies, at start of the season the management said they would focus hard on winning one

Not making it easy this season :smile:

ROYAL LONDON ONE-DAY CUP

Glamorgan 200 all out

S Cook 36 - 0
Porter 29 - 4
Wagner 44 - 1
Coles 41 - 3
Bopara 42 - 2

Essex 201 for 1

Chopra 98 not out
Wheater 88
Westley 11 not out

Essex win by 9 wickets.

So what is everyone's opinion on Westley hitting a 4 and a 6, rather than nudging a single and letting Chopra get his century? Have spoken to a couple of guys who were there yesterday and they reckon everybody around them was saying what a dick move it was and speculating that Westley must not like Chopra etc

I was a little surprised about the last few runs too, thought Chopra would have been a shoe in for a ton. Strange.

If it comes down to run rate and we go through by .25 of a run, then very happy he took that choice

But yes agree you would have thought he would have given Chops the chance,and I'm sure overall run rate didn't come into play

I had a decent bet on Essex to win one of the OD trophies, at start of the season the management said they would focus hard on winning one

Not making it easy this season :smile:

I don’t rate us in the ltd overs stuff. We’re not quite dynamic enough with the bat nor athletic enough in the field. We’ve good players but not ones which take the game away from the opposition. We’re more set up for the 4 day game and I have no problem with that whatsoever. We’ll still be competitive and won’t be a walkover but I don’t think teams will fear us in the limited overs stuff the way they should in the 4 day game.

So what is everyone's opinion on Westley hitting a 4 and a 6, rather than nudging a single and letting Chopra get his century? Have spoken to a couple of guys who were there yesterday and they reckon everybody around them was saying what a dick move it was and speculating that Westley must not like Chopra etc

I wonder if Chopra told him to go for it? Otherwise it is a strange move.

I don’t rate us in the ltd overs stuff. We’re not quite dynamic enough with the bat nor athletic enough in the field. We’ve good players but not ones which take the game away from the opposition. We’re more set up for the 4 day game and I have no problem with that whatsoever. We’ll still be competitive and won’t be a walkover but I don’t think teams will fear us in the limited overs stuff the way they should in the 4 day game.

I wonder if Chopra told him to go for it? Otherwise it is a strange move.

Seems an odd thing to do with so many wickets in hand and it wouldn't have had much of an effect on our NRR

Seems an odd thing to do with so many wickets in hand and it wouldn't have had much of an effect on our NRR

Its all" Ifs and Buts", the effect could have had a knock on to NRR
If we had not hit the 10 runs in quick time and say we had taken another 3-4 overs and lost 2-3 wickets, then it could be damaging.
Don't blame him my self but also understand why people are saying he should have given Chops chance

Not mad on cricket, but I always follow the Essex results. A friend who was there said instead of coming away from the ground happy, he was fuming because of what the very selfish Westley had done. He said him and all those around him in the main stand couldn't wait to applaud Chopra for his well deserved ton, and it would have made the end so much better. He said everyone was angry about it, with some shouts aimed at Westley. He said he denied Chopra and the crowd.

Back